Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2020, 09:07 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,285,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
A few of the hundreds of cops standing around maybe. Although you’re right that it won’t happen because then they’d have to do so at the indoor trump rallies and that ain’t happening. At least most of the BLM protesters had masks on. Either way, to suggest that we just throw our hands up in defeat and do nothing isn’t a strategy.
Lol. Ok...peaceful protesters were wearing masks because of Covid. All the others (looters, rock throwers, arsonists, etc) were covering their face to avoid identification. Let's not lump them all together into some box of responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2020, 09:09 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,285,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Time to shut the churches down. I guess they didn’t get in on the magic air purifier.

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...e-for-covid-19
Katy, bar the door!

Old 06-27-2020, 09:14 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Lol. Ok...peaceful protesters were wearing masks because of Covid. All the others (looters, rock throwers, arsonists, etc) were covering their face to avoid identification. Let's not lump them all together into some box of responsibility.
I’m not. I appreciate the agreement that most were wearing masks though.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:06 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,386,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
It’s not a “personal choice” anymore when you (or someone you infect) ends up under the care of an “essential worker”..

There was (and is) no option to “just stay home” for essential workers beyond losing all your income, and your health insurance (during a pandemic) with a “voluntary-ish” quit.

I had to quit a job where I was being exposed to “freedom crusaders” involuntarily, at work- because my employer was spineless and my local government was also spineless - which put me (and my patients) in danger of getting the virus, all because of a few jerks who wouldn’t wear masks in a healthcare setting - and corporate squids who valued profit over the health of their patients and staff. Those who made that decision were safely “working from home”, and thus immune from the consequences of their actions.

That’s *why* I’m in favor of the government “treating you like a child”. We can’t count on employers to do the right thing, as evidenced by this entire fiasco. I’m told the n-95’s are still safely locked up at my old employer. Several of my former patients are dead of covid.

Enjoy your freedumb, but I’d advise against exercising that first-amendment right in person, as you may not realize who has been affected by this, and how significantly. One of my neighbors is an essential worker, and she’s been living in a camper in her driveway for months already, with no end in sight.

The internet is a safe-space for idiocy, but in the real world - people can shorten your nose when that freedumb affects their lives and livelihoods.
Agreed. I felt extremely sorry for the hourly workers at the grocery store who are just trying to work to survive. I wear a mask to protect them as much as to protect myself.

It's sad that so many have to be treated as kids because they refuse to be grown ups and understand that this is a real risk to the essential workers and the hourly workers who stock our foods and supplies.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:40 AM

962 posts, read 472,328 times
Saw this article with a summary of long-term health effects now being seen in survivors. Not an in-depth study, but a good heads-up to what's coming. Now can we please stop with the "but the mortality rate is only xx%"?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN23X1BZ

A few excerpts - the bolding is mine.

Scientists are only starting to grasp the vast array of health problems caused by the novel coronavirus, some of which may have lingering effects on patients and health systems for years to come

We thought this was only a respiratory virus. Turns out, it goes after the pancreas. It goes after the heart. It goes after the liver, the brain, the kidney and other organs

...recovery can be slow, incomplete and costly, with a huge impact on quality of life.

Khan believes there will be a huge healthcare expenditure and burden for individuals who have survived COVID-19.

If you previously ran 5k three times a week and now feel breathless after a single flight of stairs, or if you cough incessantly and are too exhausted to return to work, then the fear that you may never regain your previous health is very real

If anyone is thinking of making some long-term investments, oxygen generator and scooter manufacturers might be a good bet. This will have a huge impact on health insurance costs for decades to come.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:15 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,208,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
I know you do . . .
I'm just attempting to be a voice of reason during the current insanity . . .
IMO, you didn't present reason so you failed. Rather, you took an aggregate mortality rate and attempted to form an argument as to why all people need to "wake up". You didn't consider the subsections of society. Additionally, if you presented a well-rounded point, then you would have included the impact of long term health damage.

With COVID, the average mortality rate is meaningless to a mother of a 14-year-old because it is near Z-E-R-O as compared to someone in their 50's versus someone in their 70's. Therefore, the premise of "waking up" has to be based on a group of people.

I'm fully awake. When people "live and let live" it overwhelms our hospitals. Even the 30-year-olds who land up in the hospital for 8 days. No, statistically they don't die. But they are helping bankrupt our society including hospitals https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...20the%20nation.

While the average mortality rate is interesting, it doesn't address realistic concerns for a 50-year-old or even for a 30-year-old who might have a $6K hospitalization deductible. There is more to be concerned about than a 0.3 mortality rate. Big picture, you are missing why the world has partially shut down. Are we overreacting on several topics? Yep! But yours is an example of ignoring details to make your point.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 06-28-2020 at 06:32 AM..

Old 06-28-2020, 08:47 AM

13 posts, read 4,205 times
Been reading this thread for a while. Im surprised no one has mentioned all the money Phoenix will lose this winter as Snowbirds will not be going to AZ, yes I know most people on this forum hate snowbirds and praise their absense. Just think of all the money not spent and the rising unemployment rates. Geezuz people wear a bloody mask, I can't believe you're at 3500 cases a day! In Alberta we have only registered 7500 cases total and test 6 to 8 thousand a day we have about 50 cases a day lately and have 60% of the population as AZ
My house in Phoenix will be empty this winter, I usually use it for 2 months, brother uses it for 2 months and my friends use it for 2 months....

Old 06-28-2020, 09:53 AM

525 posts, read 540,871 times
Great article about the child care centers that stayed open during all this, including AZ:
https://www.npr.org/2020/06/24/88231...ring-lockdowns

And all without masks on kids....

Old 06-28-2020, 10:03 AM

13 posts, read 4,205 times
Kids don't get sick from it, but they are carriers snd pass it to older family members. Wonder how many people under 5 are tested?

Old 06-28-2020, 10:40 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,208,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C3155 View Post
Been reading this thread for a while. Im surprised no one has mentioned all the money Phoenix will lose this winter as Snowbirds will not be going to AZ, yes I know most people on this forum hate snowbirds and praise their absense. Just think of all the money not spent and the rising unemployment rates. Geezuz people wear a bloody mask, I can't believe you're at 3500 cases a day! In Alberta we have only registered 7500 cases total and test 6 to 8 thousand a day we have about 50 cases a day lately and have 60% of the population as AZ
My house in Phoenix will be empty this winter, I usually use it for 2 months, brother uses it for 2 months and my friends use it for 2 months....
The only businesses that would benefit from snowbird $$'s in a COVID environment are the grocery stores, the electric company, and liquor stores (lol). Smart geezers (who had a thicker wallet in order to buy a 2nd place in the 1st place) aren't going to be reckless and blow their money in stores or restaurants anyways. They will be sheltering in place in AZ or WI. You still have to pay your property taxes, garbage pick-up, and landscapers.

Speaking for myself and while in AZ, I am going to order in groceries, working out daily outside, going boating, and having some quant neighborhood outdoor meals all the while I work out of the house. No chance I want to freeze. So COVID could run rampant in AZ. It doesn't matter to me so long as I can isolate (which I can and do so with ease).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area