Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2020, 11:40 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I won't be in the "lots" category. Costco.com delivers food and supplies. Wallmart.com delivers and the list goes on.

So long as I have food, I will work out inside, and go for bike rides and walks. I probably have two solid months to hunker down and a lot will be learned (what antibiotics work best, best practices that the ER docs are discussing on their 30,000 person Facebook group etc). Our son promised to fly to wherever we are to help either one of us to get our needed mind share. Just remember, without an advocate healthcare in this country is so-so. Let alone this crisis. Still, that might not be good enough and I fall, victim. If things get crazy, we will point our car towards northern MN. But we are remote which requires going into infested stores. So with all of the trade-offs and how I am preparing, I think I am in better shape staying put. I won’t be infecting a sole.
Well if someone can stay shut in the odds of getting it are considerably reduced. As for deliveries, they are contaminated and they will end if this gets worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 11:57 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,208,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Well if someone can stay shut in the odds of getting it are considerably reduced. As for deliveries, they are contaminated and they will end if this gets worse.
If groceries are contained from deliveries, the shelf stores are contaminated. So no, deliveries won't shut down. The bigger concern is if demand skyrockets. Like meds being delivered. Costco med deliveries are becoming SWAMPED! Gee, why did I get 9 months worth of meds last month?:think Back to the food. It's why I let the dry goods stay in the garage (soon to be spare room) for 4 days. I wash down the fruit and perishable items and let them say in the fridge for a while. Plus, heat (cooking) kills the virus. I'll admit it: I use 409 to wipe down some can goods.

Big picture, I have a couple of risk factors. BP being one of them. And I could stand to lose 10 pounds and I am on that as we speak! I'd LOVE to get off those BP meds. There are POSSIBLE technical reasons why the meds and the virus and problematic. So I'm trying to knock down two risk factors (extra weight and BP meds before I give my immune system a try.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 03-27-2020 at 12:13 PM..

Old 03-27-2020, 12:57 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
Quote:
Not so fast...
1. Warm weather: : Remember, summer (southern hemisphere) just ended in warmer locations like Australia and the virus spread. That said, there is talk (with not a lot of science yet) that warm and humid weather might slow down how fast it spreads. As a reminder, the news sell "clicks". If "hope" == clicks, you get articles like these https://www.livescience.com/warmer-w...us-spread.html. But you are right, we don't know yet. The initial results said no. But now, it's circulating that it might. A warm season is not just going to stop. But it might flatten the curve some. And if it slows down the transmission, it will kick back in gear in 7 short months. But it might be the humity versus the heat? Or maybe it doesn't change the numbers much. So instead of every three days the spread double, it's every 5 days. Still, it's going to rip through this country.
Perhaps you missed the fact that I was mostly being sarcastic about the weather part. People have historically moved here for that exact reason, and continue to do so to this day. Many snowbirds spend the winters here because of the warmer climate ... and you being a part time resident likely reside here for that reason also. The stupid part about this is the ASSumption many have that our so called "beautiful weather" somehow resolves their health issues, and/or makes them more immune to all the bad viruses out there. Of course we know this is largely false.

In many ways, I believe that the upcoming hot summer season might flatten the curve. If hot weather is indeed a factor in reducing the spread of viruses, I'm wondering if the Phoenix area will actually see an influx of new transplants for this reason. If that happens, expect this place to be overrun with more ignorant sun freaks who are convinced that AZ will be a cure for all their personal problems. If our climate actually does prevent (or cure) health issues, then we should have no COVID 19 cases, nor any influenza, asthma, etc., etc. So I'm convinced that it's not so much the "live and let live" attitudes which are to blame as much as this rampant ignorance of many newcomers who have no purpose in life other than sun worshiping, hiking, and sitting by the pool.

Quote:
2. Next, Ponderosa cannot take the .1 or 1% or _______ mortality rate and calculate the probability of him getting deathly ill or dying. For starters, he is male. At best case, males are 20% statistically more susceptible. We are guessing why. But it might be the immune system differences. Next, he is older. Hopefully be know people realize that our immune system deteriorates as we age. If he smokes (or smoked), that's another strike against him. If he is like 60% of the males over 60 years old, he is on high blood pressure meds which have shown to be a big strike against them. If he is overweight (BMI of 25%), that's another huge risk. I'm going to assume he isn't type 2 diabetic. IF he is, the people on the front lines see a trend. Males, overweight, high blood pressure, and immune issues are the perfect storm for getting seriously ill. AND, if the beds are full, statistically he is F'ed. THAT is probably his point.

And so we are clear, it's not exactly the best way to go: drowning in your bloody fluids while your hands are tied down so you don't pull out the tube down your throat (people think the tube is drowning them versus fluids in their lungs). AND, if there is an allocation of beds or equipment, the medical community will have to make some allocation decisions. Sorry, your bed or ventilator needs to go to this 40 year old. NYC is already starting to "share" ventilators. Now do you see why he might not be "paranoid"?
Ponderosa has been a regular member on this forum for many years, and from what I've seen of his posts, he purposely tries to avoid people for the most part by living on the "periphery", which is fine because it's his privilege to do so. Maybe you've seen the other thread on here about people still moving here after the pandemic subsides. Autism360 started that thread, and he & a few other posters are convinced that because the Phoenix area (and Arizona as a whole) is mostly spread out & not clustered together like the eastern cities, this somehow offers protection. If any of this is remotely true, then Ponderosa shouldn’t be so paranoid, being that he doesn’t live in a condensed urban setting. Also, if any of this has any merit, which I highly doubt, then it would once again stand to reason that Arizona (and especially Maricopa County) should have ZERO cases of COVID 19, nor any other medical issues. Of course we know this is completely false.

In reality, these posters are simply against urbanization, and are using this outbreak as a reason to back their opposition, which makes absolutely no sense. They made the CHOICE to live in one of the largest metro regions in the nation, as did Ponderosa. Five million people in a metro area certainly isn't small town material, and this place isn't the quiet mid sized area that it once was. The truth is that there is absolutely no way to be fully detached or isolated when you live in a large city or metro area. If they want that kind of lifestyle, then there are many rural areas or small towns they can move to.

Quote:
Here is the reality. To date, nearly all of the people who have died were already going to die in the USA from this virus. And this might be a .1 percent death toll or 1% (I HIGHLY doubt it will be even 2%). Any way you slice it, a lot of others are going to have some lung damage and maybe some organ damage. Whatever the total death toll ends up at, it will be highly influenced if the ER's / ICU's are just extremely busy. That's the whole fricken debate in a nutshell. But let's stop calling someone who has done their due diligence "paranoid religious wackjob" when I suspect he could have written a similar accurate post.
He's the one who said this virus WILL get him and most of us, and that it WILL kill us at a rate 10 times higher than the flu. How does he or anybody else know this for sure? He also blames the Governor & other leaders for not doing enough about it. This is pure paranoia as far as I'm concerned, and it has pretty much the same verbiage as what the extremist religious cults believe in, even though I don't think he belongs to one.

Like I said before, nobody has all the facts about COVID 19. Trump doesn't, the state Governors don't, and not even the most regarded medical experts & scientists have everything straight. At this point, it's mostly speculation ... and this is why I'm taking more of a middle of the road approach. Yes, I'm concerned, and I'm doing what I can to prevent the spread (especially since I'm a caregiver for an elderly parent with health issues). At the same time, I'm not going to panic, stockpile paper products, hide inside my house, and be afraid of the world. That's completely abnormal, irrational, and against human nature.

Old 03-27-2020, 01:14 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,736,137 times
Know what pisses me off? Sensationalism like ABC15.com posting a pic of a guy being taken into the hospital IN BELGIUM while the headline reads: Coronavirus in AZ.....

Old 03-27-2020, 01:34 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,669,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Know what pisses me off? Sensationalism like ABC15.com posting a pic of a guy being taken into the hospital IN BELGIUM while the headline reads: Coronavirus in AZ.....
Who cares where the picture was taken? Do you think people aren’t being hospitalized here? The location of the picture is irrelevant. It’s the same thing here.

Old 03-27-2020, 02:01 PM

669 posts, read 322,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
So now you do not believe the media is killing people? Please make up your mind
I'm not in Arizona. Just saw the thread from the main page. It is the Doctors that are the ones directly pleading, which in turn now, many politicians are also responding to. Sure the media is 'amping' it up by showing their pleas and scary music with stats and type of coverage, but fundamentally, Doctors have been doing it one way or another by themselves more recently.

I'm in Toronto, and I've observed some doctors here have said they underestimated this based on official numbers from China. Once the Italian doctors started pleading in early march to the world to act ASAP, and to not do what they did (which was to downplay it), then did Western Health professionals started taking it more seriously it seems. It wasn't seen as this foreign only affecting virus anymore.

Here, hospitals are pleading to the public if they can donate anything. Especially n95 masks. Media also picks up on that story leading to 'hype'.

My sister works as a lab tech in a major hospital doing the testing for it which she got trained for recently. The huge load of test requests (with doctors in panic trying to get back results asap) has led to severe stress overload for many workers, causing some to literally break down, sobbing uncontrollably and unable to work. This has led to remaining workers taking on that extra stress also causing further breakdown.

Now is it the Doctors that are the driving force behind this paranoia? Why are they the ones treating this so differently. Many other treatments, such as cancer surgery are being deferred because of this. Now we do have universal medicare here, but from what I can see of news coverage, US doctors are behaving similarly. They are raising the alarm bell in treating this much different than typical strains of influenza.

Regarding the flu, us humans have different immunity to various strains, thus any given strain of flu can be 'stopped' in it's chain of transmission between people. With this Coronavirus, this fundamentally same strain appears it cannot be stopped, thus causing such uniform media hyping reaction by the medical community.

Old 03-27-2020, 02:05 PM

7,833 posts, read 4,580,702 times
Quote:
Ticky-tak foul. Perhaps they could have done a proper attribution but I'd put this transgression right up there with any website that uses Getty stock photos and such as art for illustrative purposes.

"You mean that picture of a teacher scratching his head doesn't work at my kid's school or the receptionist that spilled coffee isn't someone from my office?"

Old 03-27-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Ticky-tak foul. Perhaps they could have done a proper attribution but I'd put this transgression right up there with any website that uses Getty stock photos and such as art for illustrative purposes.

"You mean that picture of a teacher scratching his head doesn't work at my kid's school or the receptionist that spilled coffee isn't someone from my office?"
Exactly.

Old 03-27-2020, 02:33 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,736,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Exactly.
BS! ABC this week CBS last week with their crowded mountain pics. Reality is what is needed at this time and real info, not sensationalism.

Plus, you guys don't get to determine what pisses me off.

Old 03-27-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
BS! ABC this week CBS last week with their crowded mountain pics. Reality is what is needed at this time and real info, not sensationalism.

Plus, you guys don't get to determine what pisses me off.
What does it matter where a COVID-19 patient's picture was taken? It's happening everywhere. What's happening is sensational in and of itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area