Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2020, 02:17 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,920,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
I have no doubt this is very contagious and scary but at the same time I think to myself if we had done a play by play of the 2017-18 flu season, when 80,000 Americans died, the world as we know it would have probably ended.

Couldn't find the first article I read, but found this one (fwiw):

https://www.fort-russ.com/2020/03/it...id19-as-cause/
I agree with you 1000%; no one gave a squirt about 80,000 flu deaths then,JUST IN THE USA,WITH A FLU VACCINE AVAILABLE, but now, its the ultimate pandemic/armegeddon/genocide/end of the world/whatever..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 02:34 PM

9,744 posts, read 11,167,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
I agree with you 1000%; no one gave a squirt about 80,000 flu deaths then,JUST IN THE USA,WITH A FLU VACCINE AVAILABLE, but now, its the ultimate pandemic/armegeddon/genocide/end of the world/whatever..
Well, the emergency rooms care. As in, they are never overwhelmed with the 25,000-80,000 flu deaths. Yet, with a 1/80th of the deaths of the flu (COVID) or 700 deaths, hospitals are OVERWHELMED. Think about that for a moment. My point being, this is way different. So a death isn't a death isn't a death.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:36 PM

well, sure, everyone is so paranoid now, that if they sneeze or cough, many run to the doctor/hospital fearing they are dying..and, with allergy season here now, and soon all around the country, the hysteria will continue..

And medical professionals ALWAYS care about the health of the public; I doubt CNN/MSNBC ever dedicated thousands of hours of coverage on the deaths of the "regular" flu in the usa..

Old 03-25-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
well, sure, everyone is so paranoid now, that if they sneeze or cough, many run to the doctor/hospital fearing they are dying..and, with allergy season here now, and soon all around the country, the hysteria will continue..
That's part of it (people going into the ER). Not a place to be IMO right now.... But that's not what I'm referring to. Because the last time I checked, hospitals weren't being built real-time (China) over the flu.

Old 03-25-2020, 03:08 PM

right; I've postponed all visits to any medical facility now, even to a podiatrist, just to do what I can to reduce any sort of workload for any medical professional, and, to obviously reduce my exposure to the "medical world" unless a life threatening condition occurs

Old 03-25-2020, 10:09 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,270,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I currently live in Surprise. A town of 150,000. 25,000 are in a 55+ community. At least 17% are elderly. Anybody who needs healthcare for the coming months with the "live and let live" approach will soon be screwed!

Hence, the mortality rate is going to skyrocket. The rest of the world is watching our new pending "planned approach" and thinking HOLY SH*T! If I was at the helm, I would not let the genie out of the bottle until we stocked up on supplies, made a lot more make-shift hospitals/beds, trained many more healthcare hands realtime get trained, and let scientists look more closely at the data for a solid 2 months (what helps and what doesn't).

Instead, "live and let live" has prevailed. In conclusion, what has happened so far (waiting for a couple of weeks is pseudo-social distancing) added nearly zero value to the final result. While hindsight is 20-20, I bet when the smoke clears, history will conclude we could not have done a worse job!
I'm Libertarian, so I would be a "live and let live" type (mostly). It's true that many here aren't taking this very seriously judging from their actions. On the other side of the coin, there are many others who are needlessly panicking by stockpiling supplies & freaking out whenever somebody has the sniffles. There has to be a happy medium somewhere in all this mess.

Your statement about history concluding that we could not have done a worse job could very well be true, only in another way. Did you stop to think that maybe, just maybe, the so called experts don't have all their facts straight? Being that COVID 19 is a relatively new virus compare to many others, there's a lot they still don't know for sure. I wonder what the excuses will be if by chance history concludes that shutting down life as we know it was a kneejerk, extremist move that was completely unnecessary.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:56 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,973,235 times
Quote:
Well, the emergency rooms care. As in, they are never overwhelmed with the 25,000-80,000 flu deaths. Yet, with a 1/80th of the deaths of the flu (COVID) or 700 deaths, hospitals are OVERWHELMED. Think about that for a moment. My point being, this is way different. So a death isn't a death isn't a death.
MN, notice one of the skeptics is also from MN. Almost three million respiratory disease deaths every year...
https://off-guardian.org/2020/03/24/...bq7nFzd_8EdnpS

Old 03-26-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Your statement about history concluding that we could not have done a worse job could very well be true, only in another way. Did you stop to think that maybe, just maybe, the so called experts don't have all their facts straight? Being that COVID 19 is a relatively new virus compare to many others, there's a lot they still don't know for sure. I wonder what the excuses will be if by chance history concludes that shutting down life as we know it was a kneejerk, extremist move that was completely unnecessary.
I guess you missed my post in this thread. Talking about some smart folks who say it won't be as bad as people say. More specifically,
Quote:
For some good news, PLEASE everyone read this counter-argument. Like a lot of things, the real truth is in the middle.

This article is from the WSJ. Since most don't subscribe (I do), you can read it here https://peckford42.wordpress.com/202...ly-as-they-say

It originally came from this link release today. https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-the-...ay-11585088464 I HOPE THIS IS THE RIGHT STATISTICS!!!!!!!!
The two people who wrote the WSJ article aren't idiots. They are from Stanford Health Policy's (Eran Bendavid and Jay Bhattacharya). They suggest it is extremely serious but overblown. They take a look from the statistical side of the table. Which is the only way to crunch the numbers!

So yea, I have considered it. The reality is probably right in between. Because when you run the numbers, death tolls have a MASSIVE and wide swing depending on just a couple of variables.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
MN, notice one of the skeptics is also from MN. Almost three million respiratory disease deaths every year...
https://off-guardian.org/2020/03/24/...bq7nFzd_8EdnpS
You have your answer already if you have been paying attention. It's about smoothing out the demand for the hospitals. Bandwidth, bandwidth, bandwidth! OBVIOUSLY in Italy, China, Spain, (now NYC), have had some massive bandwidth problems and is the reason why the mortality rate is so high. Watch, in NYC, the death toll doubles every three days. And THAT is with a "lockdown". In two weeks, we go in rogue-mode (live and let live). So tell me, when was the last "flu season" where we went in lockdown mode? Hint: 1918. Some cities and areas smoothed out the curve and some didn't. go look at the numbers. How did you miss this?

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 03-26-2020 at 06:58 AM..

Old 03-26-2020, 07:16 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,973,235 times
Quote:
You have your answer already if you have been paying attention. It's about smoothing out the demand for the hospitals. Bandwidth, bandwidth, bandwidth! OBVIOUSLY in Italy, China, Spain, (now NYC), have had some massive bandwidth problems and is the reason why the mortality rate is so high. Watch, in NYC, the death toll doubles every three days. And THAT is with a "lockdown". In two weeks, we go in rogue-mode (live and let live). So tell me, when was the last "flu season" where we went in lockdown mode? Hint: 1918. Some cities and areas smoothed out the curve and some didn't. go look at the numbers. How did you miss this?
Kind of dissapointed in 3M, after all, those things have commonly been called 3M masks forever...haven't really heard a peep out of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area