Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2020, 07:23 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times

Advertisements

lake pleasant was the same way today when we took a ride to that area..just nuts, but nothing you can do about it..
was glad to see multiple police/sheriff/fire dept vehicles all around the area...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 07:42 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
lake pleasant was the same way today when we took a ride to that area..just nuts, but nothing you can do about it..
was glad to see multiple police/sheriff/fire dept vehicles all around the area...
There’s a lot you can do about it. If only our governor would grow a pair and take action.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:07 PM

77 posts, read 53,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Japanese people are very compliant when following quarantine-esque advice (also wearing masks has been a thing there during cold and flu season for decades).

Japan has a much better healthcare system than Italy.
Japan was not flooded with Chinese workers returning from China after the Chinese New Year ala Italy.
Check this out. It would come as a surprise to you.

Source: Health Care Rankings by Population 2020
https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...-in-the-world/

- Italy #2
- Japan #10
- United States #37

Old 03-22-2020, 10:13 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoDaVinci View Post
Check this out. It would come as a surprise to you.

Source: Health Care Rankings by Population 2020
https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...-in-the-world/

- Italy #2
- Japan #10
- United States #37

Did you click on the source of that list?

That article had another list of the top 13 and Japan was on it Italy not.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:13 PM

77 posts, read 53,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Did you click on the source of that list?

That article had another list of the top 13 and Japan was on it Italy not.
Quoting articles without reading them is something you may do, but don’t assume the same in others.

If you are happy with the Legatum Institute’s Prosperity Index, go ahead and have a ball.
You can even make your own list. This is the World Wide Web and everyone who has a finger, a keyboard and a connection can comment on topics s/he knows nothing about.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:45 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Oh, I don’t doubt there are people out and about in too close proximity. I see them everywhere.
When you think about it, what kind of sense does it make to force the economy to grind to a halt in order to supposedly prevent the spread of the virus? Restaurants, bars, gyms, and many other businesses are either closed or limited on their services thanks to the government mandate, but many people resort to "free" activities such as hiking trails, parks, and lakes where large crowds gather and expose themselves to the risks. Supermarkets such as Fry's don't always have enough checkout lines open, and some of their self checkouts are completely closed off, forcing customers to stand in long lines & risk exposure.

This is taking into account what the so called experts are saying about keeping your distance. I'm not so sure even distancing yourself is going to reduce the risk. A City of Phoenix aviation employee contracted the virus & died last week, and he was somebody who had minimal exposure to the public from what the reports say. He did have health issues, and therefore, was more vulnerable to acquiring these viruses & suffering more than the average person. This tells me that it's likely airborne, and social distancing isn't necessarily a guarantee of being completely safe.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:53 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoDaVinci View Post
Quoting articles without reading them is something you may do, but don’t assume the same in others.

If you are happy with the Legatum Institute’s Prosperity Index, go ahead and have a ball.
You can even make your own list. This is the World Wide Web and everyone who has a finger, a keyboard and a connection can comment on topics s/he knows nothing about.
The source that your ranking listed didn't go anywhere. That's why I asked.
No need to get snippy. You think Italy has great health care I think it doesn't. That, plus their ties to China, is what got them in this trouble.
That's what I was pointing out to another poster when they were comparing Phoenix to Italy.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:26 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
When you think about it, what kind of sense does it make to force the economy to grind to a halt in order to supposedly prevent the spread of the virus? Restaurants, bars, gyms, and many other businesses are either closed or limited on their services thanks to the government mandate, but many people resort to "free" activities such as hiking trails, parks, and lakes where large crowds gather and expose themselves to the risks. Supermarkets such as Fry's don't always have enough checkout lines open, and some of their self checkouts are completely closed off, forcing customers to stand in long lines & risk exposure.
It makes sense because of statistics. When you reduce N (sample size), you reduce total events. When you increase the distance to around 6 feet, you DRAMATICALLY reduce the chance of getting an airborne virus (spit while talking).

Sure, you choose to focus on specific interactions that are problematic. It seems social pressures of not being rude or businesses not wanting to offend by telling people to back off are increasing spreading. But certainly, some of this happens because people didn't do well in stats and default to flawed logic.

Analogy: You are on a diet, work out every day yet eat a bag of M&M's and drink a bottle of Coke. You can still lose weight and be healthier. You don't have to be pure. Or in this case, if you stop millions of interactions the events will drop but NOT to zero like happened in China. Therefore, don't hone in on a checkout line That doesn't mean the whole policy should be tossed out. Blame the store by letting too many in at one time and not inforcing people to spread out.

I was in Safeway early yesterday. When people got too close in line, they pointed to a green line telling them to back away. People need to tell people to get back off too when others either go into autopilot and get close or are too stupid to understand the state-of-the-state.

Quote:
[b]
This is taking into account what the so called experts are saying about keeping your distance. I'm not so sure even distancing yourself is going to reduce the risk. A City of Phoenix aviation employee contracted the virus & died last week, and he was somebody who had minimal exposure to the public from what the reports say. He did have health issues, and therefore, was more vulnerable to acquiring these viruses & suffering more than the average person. This tells me that it's likely airborne, and social distancing isn't necessarily a guarantee of being completely safe.
My jaw dropped when I read the words I bold above.

For starters, the "so-called-experts" understand what the Hell is going on. Albeit the transmission methods and how long the virus lasts have changed; basically the models have been modified because it is a brand new virus... It's just math/statistics! I'm amazed people are still questioning what can happen. The hospitals are going to be overwhelmed in the USA which has a fraction of the hospital beds than other locations. We don't need them to be 3X overwhelmed.

Countries all across the world are attempting to slow this down. The goal is to minimize OVERWHELMING the hospitals. If sh*t hits the fan because people cannot grasp basic statistics and ignore the warnings, there will be a run on hospital beds and ventilators. A mere 965,000 hospital beds in the USA (near the bottom of beds per 1000 of 1st world countries) will be all taken by COVID 19 patients. That's what the "experts" are legitimately worried about just as what happened in Italy. That's what the folks in the ER are worried about.
Solution: tell the person behind you in line "do you mind backing off about 6 feet please." Just hope they understand basic statistics and respect gravity (spit particles drop off after X feet).

Here is the prediction. Realistically and necessarily, in a meeting room in Washington DC, there are people having a cost-benefit analysis which is another concept people struggle with from business class 101. It's about when (not if) you re-open things up to get the next wave of infections. Because at the end of the day, we are all going to be exposed to it. When I do, I want to have an ER team that is fresh and a bed with supplies JUST in case my immune system falls victim to the problem.

Therefore, the idiots who are not social distancing are part of the problem which will put pressure on the hospital heroes who were not listened to along the way to get more supplies.

Quote:
[b]A City of Phoenix aviation employee contracted the virus & died last week, and he was somebody who had minimal exposure to the public from what the reports say. He did have health issues, and therefore, was more vulnerable to acquiring these viruses & suffering more than the average person. This tells me that it's likely airborne, and social distancing isn't necessarily a guarantee of being completely safe.
He wasn't more "vulnerable to acquiring these viruses". Every person walking the planet is vulnerable to get it. Rather when you get it, SOME people fall, victim because of their immune system. Some people get the virus and never know it. A 95-year-old with COPD, diabetic, and hypertension "could get the virus" and never know it.

If a guy who isolated himself 24-7 but still touches a door handle and puts his hands in his mouth, that could be deadly. I hope you have been following along when the experts mentioned washing your hands often and don't touch your face! To now assume it's airborne is illogical.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 03-23-2020 at 07:36 AM..

Old 03-23-2020, 07:25 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
The city of Phoenix employee had traveled to Colorado (a hot spot for the virus) just prior. He was refused both treatment and testing. He was only diagnosed AFTER his death. He was in contact with numerous people including health care workers. Arizona is way, way, behind the curve with this disease. More than most, we should be social distancing.

Old 03-23-2020, 07:45 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The city of Phoenix employee had traveled to Colorado (a hot spot for the virus) just prior. He was refused both treatment and testing. He was only diagnosed AFTER his death. He was in contact with numerous people including health care workers. Arizona is way, way, behind the curve with this disease. More than most, we should be social distancing.
“He could have been helped if they had the test or they would have taken his symptoms seriously," Abell said. Abell said the man fell ill after a trip to Colorado for a conference in early March.
Abell said she believes the man went to urgent care and a hospital looking to be tested for the virus.
“They said since he had not traveled to Washington that he probably had another disease," Abell said. “He knew he was dying and he knew he had no one to help him.”

https://www.12news.com/article/news/...b-d612df79bed5

Agreed. AZ seems to be way behind the curve. It's coming to a theater near you. It might be time to drive out of town.

There is an ER Doc Facebook page (25,000 strong). Our son is going to the front line (ER Residency in the Bay area). I bet they call him in early (July 1st official start). If I get any tidbits of what Doc's learn that works and doesn't, I will pass it on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area