Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2020, 01:16 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,273,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
Where in my post did you get that idea? Re-read it again if you're having trouble. Clearly the virus originated in China. But you mistakenly mentioned Spanish flu being named for its origination, and I was simply correcting your error (in addition to what sounded like you were okay with Chinese people being attacked).

Since you've missed the point of the post itself, I'll help: zoonotic spillover is almost a certainty considering how inappropriately humans handle wildlife and how close our environments now are with global overpopulation. i.e. there are far too many people on this planet and far too many habitats are being destroyed.

We have to be careful what we wish for. At some point, this same origination will occur again in the U.S. as it did in 1918. CWD in deer have species jumped twice already and at some point, we will have to contend with the reality that this could affect humans in our lifetimes. People have and will continue to eat deer who were infected with CWD.

It's time we stop looking at this from a xenophobic lens because we're fully capable of making the same global impact.

Further reading: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/healt...ntl/index.html
Enough with the xenophobic babble. And this "zoonotic spillover" you speak of could have easily been avoided if they stopped eating raw bats, live mice, etc, etc, etc. If you don't believe me, I'll be happy to share some links with you. Videos that would make you lose your appetite for a week.

But maybe you're right. I'm being such a mean person. I just need to embrace this type of thing, right? I'm also against genital mutilation of young girls too. Does that make me xenophobic of people in Africa, Asia and the Middle East? I guess so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 01:49 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
Quote:
You might want to mix in some punctuation. That bolded section reads quite terribly. lol

But side note: keep in mind that the Spanish flu didn't originate in Spain. It actually originated in Kansas, USA. Amazing how we don't want that monicker, huh?
Considering there is nobody that can say for certain where the flu pandemic of 1918 started I'm curious to how you can state it as fact? There are lots of places that the "Spanish flu" has been said to have originated, Kansas being one of them.

Old 04-01-2020, 01:52 PM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
This has always been about trying to preserve the supply rather than the efficacy of masks. If we had the supply, they would have been recommending masks from the beginning and we would be a lot better off.

My question is how to sanitize masks that we are re-wearing. If we wear them out, the outside could be covered in bad stuff, we then take them off and put them back on multiple times. Given that most don't have UV disinfecting devices, I question if we may be infecting ourselves with improper mask sanitation.
Good question, just saw this about 10 minutes ago. Might be too little to late and pricy.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/disinfe...oronavirus-n95

Old 04-01-2020, 02:12 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Considering there is nobody that can say for certain where the flu pandemic of 1918 started I'm curious to how you can state it as fact? There are lots of places that the "Spanish flu" has been said to have originated, Kansas being one of them.
The broad point here should be rather obvious: it didn't originate in Spain. lol

And the most likely origination point is Kansas. 100%? No. But there is a general consensus. Would it bother you if it did start in the US? It shouldn't. These things happen and will continue to happen and the general populace of the country of origin isn't to blame.

Old 04-01-2020, 02:15 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Enough with the xenophobic babble. And this "zoonotic spillover" you speak of could have easily been avoided if they stopped eating raw bats, live mice, etc, etc, etc. If you don't believe me, I'll be happy to share some links with you. Videos that would make you lose your appetite for a week.

But maybe you're right. I'm being such a mean person. I just need to embrace this type of thing, right? I'm also against genital mutilation of young girls too. Does that make me xenophobic of people in Africa, Asia and the Middle East? I guess so.
I agree, it's disgusting. But, I think you're missing the point here. The point is that these disgusting acts aren't exclusive to any particular part of this globe and if we're going to be so righteous about it, then we're going to be completely blindsided when the next one, or the one after that, starts on our soil and we're forced to defend ourselves against the angst of people who will lump us all in as being guilty for something we as people had little control over.

For instance, I'm a vegetarian who doesn't eat deer. Wouldn't it suck to be assaulted or victimized because I happened to be from the country that helped spread CWD?

It should have been pretty easy to see what the point was (nor am I sure what the point of genital mutilation was). My post responded back to a post that didn't quite advocate but certainly wasn't concerned with violence toward people of asian descent due to this. Maybe read the posts before responding haphazardly.

Last edited by llowllevellowll; 04-01-2020 at 02:24 PM..

Old 04-01-2020, 05:57 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,947,063 times
Quote:
Where in my post did you get that idea? Re-read it again if you're having trouble. Clearly the virus originated in China. But you mistakenly mentioned Spanish flu being named for its origination, and I was simply correcting your error (in addition to what sounded like you were okay with Chinese people being attacked).

Since you've missed the point of the post itself, I'll help: zoonotic spillover is almost a certainty considering how inappropriately humans handle wildlife and how close our environments now are with global overpopulation. i.e. there are far too many people on this planet and far too many habitats are being destroyed.

We have to be careful what we wish for. At some point, this same origination will occur again in the U.S. as it did in 1918. CWD in deer have species jumped twice already and at some point, we will have to contend with the reality that this could affect humans in our lifetimes. People have and will continue to eat deer who were infected with CWD.

It's time we stop looking at this from a xenophobic lens because we're fully capable of making the same global impact.

Further reading: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/healt...ntl/index.html
Where in the world would you get the idea I was ok with attacking chinese people when I called it a criminal act?

Old 04-01-2020, 06:27 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
Where in the world would you get the idea I was ok with attacking chinese people when I called it a criminal act?
You said it yourself with your nonexistent grammar and punctuation:

Quote:
I would not get to upset about it If a Chinese person is attacked that is a criminal matter.
There is no disputing that this virus originated in China and historically the locality of origination is how viruses are typically named for example: 1910 China plague,the German measles ,Ebola, Spanish flu, Asian flu,Hong Kong flu,London flu,Japanese encephalitis outbreak, MERS aka Middle East respiratory syndrome

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_epidemics

Old 04-02-2020, 12:31 AM

669 posts, read 321,088 times
Quote:
The esteemed Dr fauci is on record saying Covid is not as bad as the seasonal flu.

Dr. Fauci in New England Journal of Medicine: Coronavirus less severe than the flu

https://gellerreport.com/wp-content/...NEJM_COVID.pdf
Your reading into it and interpreting it completely incorrectly.

There's a BIG IF. IF it only hits 'healthy' people.

Well guess what, WHEN this SARS-CoV-2 virus hits people with cancer, age, other illness, it'll raise the actual death rate attributed to COVID-19, as well as take away from those stats as well. They're saying with Italy this year, it was a 'mild' flu season so that's why there were more old people killed due to COVID-19.

Can you understand the significance of this? That means "hey,we'll have lucky years with the flu". But there is no lucky year with catching SARS-Cov-2. It's a mathematical certainty dependent on Quarantine, isolate, social distance.

That statement also doesn't account for the R0 factor, which is way way way higher than seasonal flues. It's assuming "hey, take 100 healthy people with COVID and 100 healthy people Seasonal influenza, and it might just look similar regarding mortality rate".

But reality is "there's 270 million people infected because we lived normally that caught SARS-Cov-2 which lead to COVID-19 and thus increased hospitalizations of 30-40 million hospitalizations leading depletion of medical resources" vs a much much smaller amount of 9 million - 45 million that catches seasonal flu with hospitalization of 140,000 - 850,000.

We're already seeing it in the stats.. COVID-19 is the 3rd highest killer in the US (currently 1/2 death rate as Heart Disease and Cancer). If left unchecked, it can literally turn into the #1 killer.

I think the next 2 weeks, even you'll start to question your denial in this.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:48 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Don't you have Google? There are lots of stories similar to this one: https://nypost.com/2020/03/17/asian-...onavirus-cops/
Yes I have google. If it was that frequent you wouldn't have to do a search.

I saw the article that mentioned thousands but they count micro aggressions which I don't recognize since that is looking for a chance to be offended.

Old 04-02-2020, 06:20 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
This thread is a dumpster fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area