Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2020, 05:37 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,213,093 times

Advertisements

Sh*t! No, this isn't an April Fools joke.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/healt...ter/index.html
"A prestigious scientific panel told the White House Wednesday night that research shows coronavirus can be spread not just by sneezes or coughs, but also just by talking, or possibly even just breathing.

"While the current [coronavirus] specific research is limited, the results of available studies are consistent with aerosolization of virus from normal breathing,"

Dr. Harvey Fineberg, chairman of a committee with the National Academy of Sciences.
Fineberg told CNN that he will wear start wearing a mask when he goes to the grocery store.

"I'm not going to wear a surgical mask, because clinicians need those," said Fineberg, former dean of the Harvard School of Public Health.
"But I have a nice western-style bandana I might wear. Or I have a balaclava. I have some pretty nice options."

"This letter responds to your question concerning the possibility that [coronavirus] could be spread by conversation, in addition to sneeze/cough-induced droplets," the letter states. "Currently available research supports the possibility that [coronavirus] could be spread via bioaerosols generated directly by patients' exhalation," it continues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 07:34 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,952,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
You said it yourself with your nonexistent grammar and punctuation:
You should be ashamed of yourself for telling lies , I said it was a criminal matter, Where in the world would you get the idea I was ok with attacking chinese people when I called it a criminal act?

Last edited by autism360; 04-02-2020 at 07:46 PM..

Old 04-02-2020, 07:44 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,737,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post

"A prestigious scientific panel told the White House Wednesday night that research shows coronavirus can be spread not just by sneezes or coughs, but also just by talking, or possibly even just breathing.

"While the current [coronavirus] specific research is limited, the results of available studies are consistent with aerosolization of virus from normal breathing,"

Dr. Harvey Fineberg, chairman of a committee with the National Academy of Sciences.
Fineberg told CNN that he will wear start wearing a mask when he goes to the grocery store.

"I'm not going to wear a surgical mask, because clinicians need those," said Fineberg, former dean of the Harvard School of Public Health.
"But I have a nice western-style bandana I might wear. Or I have a balaclava. I have some pretty nice options."

"This letter responds to your question concerning the possibility that [coronavirus] could be spread by conversation, in addition to sneeze/cough-induced droplets," the letter states. "Currently available research supports the possibility that [coronavirus] could be spread via bioaerosols generated directly by patients' exhalation," it continues.

Hope this guy isn't overstepping/overstating. Aerosolization is a big deal and if true (this isn't confirmed yet) I assume we can pretty much expect 100% exposure?

Old 04-02-2020, 08:07 PM

39,109 posts, read 51,335,349 times
I was listening (but turned it off) to Ducey's town hall on TV. This guy is competing for the Mike Pence Award for Question Evasion. Q: What do undocumented people do if they have symptoms or come down with COVID-19? A: Everyone needs to wash their hands and cover their coughs.

Old 04-02-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Hope this guy isn't overstepping/overstating. Aerosolization is a big deal and if true (this isn't confirmed yet) I assume we can pretty much expect 100% exposure?
I've been informed that officially, it's no different than a lot of viruses. Breathing as a whole can transmit a virus. Still using a mask for "social distancing", helps both directions. According to some Asian studies that I linked earlier, it was obvious we were being lied to.

In the title of this story https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/o...ace-masks.html, the Doctor nailed it and writes "To help manage the shortage, the authorities sent a message that made them untrustworthy." No kidding!

Old 04-02-2020, 10:06 PM

I've been trying to get some more TP for the past 3 weeks. I've been watching our dwindling supply drop one roll at a time especially after having an additional 2 guests. I stopped going into stores 11 days ago. Instead, watching for home delivery services like Costco.com, Safeway.com, Walmart.com, and Samsclub.com. Still.. Nothing!

Well, I felt like I won the lottery today! We had Kleenex accepted in our Costco online cart. Our shopper (via costco.com ) can substitute if you allow them. Butt (pun intended) he could not get the Kleenex as it was no longer in stock. Since he was in the store shopping slightly early, they had Costco 30 pack TP in stock! He texted and we substituted. I feel rich! lol

Old 04-02-2020, 10:42 PM

If you are wondering where the "research" about hydroxychloroquine came from as it relates to COVID, here you go: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/t...gtype=Homepage

I bet it's 100% B.S.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:07 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,737,256 times
Quote:
I've been informed that officially, it's no different than a lot of viruses. Breathing as a whole can transmit a virus. Still using a mask for "social distancing", helps both directions. According to some Asian studies that I linked earlier, it was obvious we were being lied to.

In the title of this story https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/o...ace-masks.html, the Doctor nailed it and writes "To help manage the shortage, the authorities sent a message that made them untrustworthy." No kidding!
Yeah, I don't have a hang up with masks, I was more concerned with the claim of aerosolization. I thought Drs were only worried about that in enclosed hot zones when working on a patient. That claim would mark a big jump in how this is spread.

Old 04-03-2020, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Yeah, I don't have a hang up with masks, I was more concerned with the claim of aerosolization. I thought Drs were only worried about that in enclosed hot zones when working on a patient. That claim would mark a big jump in how this is spread.
The point of my 1st paragraph (which wasn't clear) is that aerosolization and breathing isn't considered anything new. It's newer research. In fact, read this study from back in 2018 https://www.pnas.org/content/115/5/1081 . It's peered reviewed from the National Academy of Sciences. This research addresses data from the "Flu".

"We provide overwhelming evidence that humans generate infectious aerosols and quantitative data to improve mathematical models of transmission and public health interventions. We show that sneezing is rare and not important for—and that coughing is not required for—influenza virus aerosolization. "

I have learned from our doctor visitors that viruses take on different preferences. Some are more or less contagious in various forms. Some are harder to kill, some are not (COVID). Some viruses thrive more easily in the warm weather, others in the cold climates (or colder parts of the body). That all said, the linked advice in an earlier post is specific research to the COVID strain. And arguably the only research which gives "leaders" no business telling people that don't have it that it's a waste of time to wear a mask.

Here is a 2014 article that was a study on coughing https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4150972/ . I link it to illustrate how it recognizes our understanding isn't all that recent:
"Knowledge about respiratory virus transmission is advancing. Spread is likely through the air, but much work remains to be done to characterize the aerosols produced by infected individuals, including viral particle survival and infectivity.".

Later studies conclude what most of Asia has already concluded and why they wear masks. As of now, the only thing we should be debating is the overall percentages and transmission rates. Sure, social distancing and washing your hands and not touching your face removes the overwhelming majority of transmission cases. But to say (even early on) that masks didn't help was irresponsible. DYI mask studies are easier to conduct and that should have been the message all the while.

Old 04-03-2020, 12:29 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,295,458 times
Quote:

There are too many speculations and theories, and nobody has all the facts straight about this. If it can be transmitted via aerosolization, then it is airborne just like I stated earlier. I really can't see how this could be transmitted so rapidly other than being through the air. In that case, is it really safe to be outside around other people vs. inside? With the number of cases continuing to go up even after many businesses have shut down, I have serious doubts.

Here's something else to chew on: apparently COVID 19 is a form of SARS, which had an an outbreak in Asia in the early 2000s. Here it is over 15 years later, and no vaccine has ever been developed for SARS. If a vaccine had been available in the years following the SARS outbreak, maybe just maybe this COVID 19 outbreak could have been lessened, controlled, or even prevented in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area