Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2020, 01:39 PM

586 posts, read 541,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I don't need to re-check anything, you compared the total cases in the State of AZ to the total cases in the City of Toronto (not metro area). The City of Toronto has less than 3 million people, the "Province" has less than 15 million people (twice the population of AZ). My numbers check out, yours do not.

I'm sorry your neighbors came back with Coronavirus, maybe they were dumb and not following social distancing guidelines, unlike my family maybe they got it on the trip home but whatever the case is, it's simply anecdotal evidence.
The City of Toronto is 6 million people, its not 3 million. And for the 3rd F'ing time the Toronto comparison was for where you want to be as opposed tothe NY stats. You are really trying too hard to be a dink on this one. You might be social distancing but the person I replied to saw no reason to bother as AZ isnt like NY, the goal is not to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2020, 01:42 PM

525 posts, read 539,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Fishing sounds great about now, but I'm not going to take the chance until this "scare" has subsided. Ordinarily, I say keep the recreational areas open. But does it make any sense for hikers to crowd the trails and not keep a safe distance? Maybe the hiking trails outside of the Phoenix aren't crowded, but many of the ones in & near Phoenix have an abundance of hikers. Not only this, but we're already hearing reports of hikers becoming stranded, which is putting an extra burden on the first responders.

If we leave the recreational areas open, there should be a Stupid Hiker Law in place which requires paying for their own rescues. I'm really more in favor of letting Social Darwinism take hold. Unprepared hikers should get what they have coming to them. Paramedics have more urgent matters to attend to instead of rushing to rescue these idiots.

Didn't you hear? We're not as packed in, stacked on top of each other, nor as populated as NYC. Our beautiful sunny, warm weather will kill off this bad ol' virus. With these things in mind, we have it gooooood here. So good in fact that COVID 19 is virtually non existent because of our detached lifestyles and our climate. It's so beautiful outside that everybody should be out getting some fresh air ... oh, but don't forget to wear a mask!
()
Well that's true. We aren't as packed in, we aren't as populated as New York, we aren't an international destination like New York and we have warmer weather. Covid-19 numbers in Arizona won't come anywhere near numbers in New York - EVER, and if anyone thinks, otherwise, they are delusional. In fact, the numbers in AZ have already started slowing. All this righteous indignation over golfing, outdoor recreation and hiking is ridiculous. You have a better chance of getting the Coronavirus at a packed grocery store then you do fishing.

Old 04-05-2020, 01:43 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times
Quote:
Fishing sounds great about now, but I'm not going to take the chance until this "scare" has subsided. Ordinarily, I say keep the recreational areas open. But does it make any sense for hikers to crowd the trails and not keep a safe distance? Maybe the hiking trails outside of the Phoenix aren't crowded, but many of the ones in & near Phoenix have an abundance of hikers. Not only this, but we're already hearing reports of hikers becoming stranded, which is putting an extra burden on the first responders.

If we leave the recreational areas open, there should be a Stupid Hiker Law in place which requires paying for their own rescues. I'm really more in favor of letting Social Darwinism take hold. Unprepared hikers should get what they have coming to them. Paramedics have more urgent matters to attend to instead of rushing to rescue these idiots.

Didn't you hear? We're not as packed in, stacked on top of each other, nor as populated as NYC. Our beautiful sunny, warm weather will kill off this bad ol' virus. With these things in mind, we have it gooooood here. So good in fact that COVID 19 is virtually non existent because of our detached lifestyles and our climate. It's so beautiful outside that everybody should be out getting some fresh air ... oh, but don't forget to wear a mask!
()
The sparsely populated nature of Phoenix ABSOLUTELY helps control the spread somewhat, it doesn't mean you won't get it. People in NY living in tall buildings have to walk in common hallways, stand in elevators (likely with other people), touch elevator buttons and common area doorknobs, walk in the lobby and breathe the recirculated air that others breathed just to take the dog out to pee. Maybe 5-6 times a day. In a suburban environment you simply open the door to your yard, or walk them in the neighborhood which is accessible without being in common hallways, elevators, etc. It's simply more risky in a densely populated area with more chances of infection without a lot of precaution. To argue otherwise would lack common sense and mental reasoning.

Old 04-05-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
The City of Toronto is 6 million people, its not 3 million. And for the 3rd F'ing time the Toronto comparison was for where you want to be as opposed tothe NY stats. You are really trying too hard to be a dink on this one. You might be social distancing but the person I replied to saw no reason to bother as AZ isnt like NY, the goal is not to be.
No, it's not. Toronto METRO population is 6 million. Pay attention. You can say a million times that the comparison was to NY but I know how to read and the original post I quoted mentioned AZ numbers specifically.

Old 04-05-2020, 02:21 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,724,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Somewhat OT, anyone read to the bottom of the clickable orange announcement in the banner at the top of the page?

Coronavirus Forum Discussion for all of City Data. 38.000 plus posts.

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/coronavirus/

At that point it's not so much a thread but an industrial roll of fabric.

As for the CD Covid page, the map that shows the spread is cool (only goes to 3/29).

Old 04-05-2020, 02:48 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
Well that's true. We aren't as packed in, we aren't as populated as New York, we aren't an international destination like New York and we have warmer weather. Covid-19 numbers in Arizona won't come anywhere near numbers in New York - EVER, and if anyone thinks, otherwise, they are delusional. In fact, the numbers in AZ have already started slowing.
No, and we should be glad we're not like NYC. But other dense cities across the world which are international destinations have far fewer cases than NYC. Look at Dubai, which is a larger city than Phoenix, but only 1,700 cases were reported in all of the UAE ... that's fewer than in AZ. Even a dense city like Mumbai, India has far fewer cases than NYC, or Phoenix for that matter!

With your reasoning, there should be very few or no cases in the Phoenix area, and in all of AZ for that matter. Fact is that the state has well over 2,000 cases and the number is still rising. AZ has more reported cases than any other state around us with the exception of CO and CA. As far as warmer weather being a deterrent, why is a state like Minnesota only reporting 865 cases? They have less of a population than AZ, but not that much less. It's pretty delusional to conclude that lack of density and warmer weather alone will prevent COVID 19 from afflicting us. It's already here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
All this righteous indignation over golfing, outdoor recreation and hiking is ridiculous. You have a better chance of getting the Coronavirus at a packed grocery store then you do fishing.
Somewhere you missed the point about the recreation. Hiking trails are crowded, and many people aren't practicing social distancing like they supposedly should be. On top of that, when you have a bunch of inexperienced hikers who shouldn't even be out on the preserves in the first place, this takes time & resources away from first responders who are needed for more critical matters, especially now. Go ahead and keep the recreational areas fully open, but either get a Stupid Hiker Law passed, or mandate Social Darwinism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
The sparsely populated nature of Phoenix ABSOLUTELY helps control the spread somewhat, it doesn't mean you won't get it. People in NY living in tall buildings have to walk in common hallways, stand in elevators (likely with other people), touch elevator buttons and common area doorknobs, walk in the lobby and breathe the recirculated air that others breathed just to take the dog out to pee. Maybe 5-6 times a day. In a suburban environment you simply open the door to your yard, or walk them in the neighborhood which is accessible without being in common hallways, elevators, etc. It's simply more risky in a densely populated area with more chances of infection without a lot of precaution. To argue otherwise would lack common sense and mental reasoning.
See my responses above.

Old 04-05-2020, 03:03 PM

586 posts, read 541,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
NYC first covid case was confirmed Mar 1st. April 5th there are 122,000 cases.

Toronto first covid case was Jan 25th. Apr 5th there are 823 cases.

Arizona first case was Jan 26th. Apr 5th there are 2200 cases.

Arizona did not act as fast or as widespread as Toronto. Your suggestion would be more like NYC. Can you not see how actions have consequences?
Here it is ASU, AZ response as suggested was not as quick as Toronto and would be more like NY to do what the other poster suggested. Toronto is 3 million just like Phoenix is 1.6 million, only to sticklers when just about everyone quotes City Metropolitan area.

Old 04-05-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
No, and we should be glad we're not like NYC. But other dense cities across the world which are international destinations have far fewer cases than NYC. Look at Dubai, which is a larger city than Phoenix, but only 1,700 cases were reported in all of the UAE ... that's fewer than in AZ. Even a dense city like Mumbai, India has far fewer cases than NYC, or Phoenix for that matter!

With your reasoning, there should be very few or no cases in the Phoenix area, and in all of AZ for that matter. Fact is that the state has well over 2,000 cases and the number is still rising. AZ has more reported cases than any other state around us with the exception of CO and CA. As far as warmer weather being a deterrent, why is a state like Minnesota only reporting 865 cases? They have less of a population than AZ, but not that much less. It's pretty delusional to conclude that lack of density and warmer weather alone will prevent COVID 19 from afflicting us. It's already here.

Somewhere you missed the point about the recreation. Hiking trails are crowded, and many people aren't practicing social distancing like they supposedly should be. On top of that, when you have a bunch of inexperienced hikers who shouldn't even be out on the preserves in the first place, this takes time & resources away from first responders who are needed for more critical matters, especially now. Go ahead and keep the recreational areas fully open, but either get a Stupid Hiker Law passed, or mandate Social Darwinism.

See my responses above.
I don't think you can necessarily trust the numbers coming out of an undeveloped country like India and the population density in Dubai is FAR less than NY, it's not a good comparison at all. Nevertheless you keep saying that being suburban in nature has zero benefit but you're crazy if you think it's 0.0% risk to walk in common residential hallways, use elevators, etc. Of course you can reduce the risk but there are definitely more risks every time you leave a densely populated apartment. Much moreso than stepping outside of a suburban home (anywhere).

Old 04-05-2020, 03:25 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,343 times
I've avoided this thread, because so many of you are out of your minds obsessed with this..
and I am NOT minimizing the severity of what is going on, its just this paranoia/obsession is so unhealthy..

Anyways, my wife took a bad fall in our house Friday night, and the paramedics said we should avoid the hospital ER if we could so we went to a new emergency facility in Peoria; was totally empty, and they said few if any patients had been there in the last 24 hours with any sort of flu like symptoms..

It turned out she needed surgery on her hip; within 1 hour, they had a private room at Abrazzo Glendale ready, the head Orthopedic guy came right by, and did his thing, this morning; they had her in surgery, no waiting no nothing...
Their updated protocol as of Friday was NO VISITORS/FAMILY/NOBODY comes in unless they are a patient, but, they too were relatively empty..

My only point is that you gloom and doom/end of the world purveyors need to get away from your tv screens/computers screens and give your minds a break from this obsession; its not ALL the Apocalypse, and the more you obsess about this, the more depressed you will be..Stay home if you can, protect yourselves and those who are in high risk, but stop acting and obsessing like life is over, because ITS NOT..

Old 04-05-2020, 04:03 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times
Now animals????

"A tiger at the Bronx Zoo has tested positive for the new coronavirus, in what is believed to be the first known infection in an animal in the U.S. or a tiger anywhere, federal officials and the zoo said Sunday."

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/202...eak-tiger.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area