Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2020, 12:19 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,736,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
You dont need to test folks who are staying home, just practise good hygiene and physical distancing. However if you arent resting front line workers there will be an expansion of infected folks.
Got it, I thought you were advocating for more testing in general based on your comment about 3 snowbirds returning with the virus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2020, 12:23 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,736,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Believe me I'm not having any trouble "conceptualizing" this and I understand the seriousness, never said otherwise. My issue was with the Canadian strutting around here like a peacock about how much better Canada is doing by comparing the overall numbers of a city of under 3 million vs a state of over 7 million. When you break it down per capita, the numbers are staggeringly similar. Nothing more, nothing less. I was simply pointing out a flawed comparison.
This is one of the most important issues in all of this: comparisons are almost worthless because of the slew of different variables in each case.

Old 04-05-2020, 12:23 PM

586 posts, read 542,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Got it, I thought you were advocating for more testing in general based on your comment about 3 snowbirds returning with the virus.
No. I am a fan of social distancing, practicing good hygiene, and only going out when you have to. And testing front line workers. I wish there was a faster test so they could be removed quicker??? Every day that a front line worker carries the virus numbers increase.

Old 04-05-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Believe me I'm not having any trouble "conceptualizing" this and I understand the seriousness, never said otherwise. My issue was with the Canadian strutting around here like a peacock about how much better Canada is doing by comparing the overall numbers of a city of under 3 million vs a state of over 7 million. When you break it down per capita, the numbers are staggeringly similar. Nothing more, nothing less. I was simply pointing out a flawed comparison.
You might want to check your population numbers. No one is strutting anywhere, unless you mean the guy who saw no reason to close anything?? The Toronto area is around 6 million people and the Province is nearly 15 million.

Old 04-05-2020, 12:28 PM

I used Toronto as it us a City similar to NY, both are hubs, very diverse, and use mass transit a lot.

Old 04-05-2020, 12:28 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,291,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
This is one of the most important issues in all of this: comparisons are almost worthless because of the slew of different variables in each case.
I don't have a problem with people saying AZ was slow to react, but people in general have been social distancing here since mid March when the governor shut down the schools as well as per county shut downs of restaurants/bars and theaters. I personally think he's better suited for the ice cream business. But to say Ontario, Canada is doing so much better and to put them on a pedestal when they have twice as many people, twice as many cases and twice as many deaths, that argument doesn't hold any weight.

Old 04-05-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I don't have a problem with people saying AZ was slow to react, but people in general have been social distancing here since mid March when the governor shut down the schools as well as per county shut downs of restaurants/bars and theaters. I personally think he's better suited for the ice cream business. But to say Ontario, Canada is doing so much better and to put them on a pedestal when they have twice as many people, twice as many cases and twice as many deaths, that argument doesn't hold any weight.
Toronto is doing better than NY was the comparison. You are making something out to be more than it was intended.

Old 04-05-2020, 01:05 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Why close off Arizona we don't have the same problems NYC is having. Our hospitals, and Emergency services are not overloading with covid-19 patients.

Lakes should be regulated some keep the numbers down but lot of guys want to get out and do some bass fishing a few people in a boat maybe 2 per boat only. I sold my bass boat years ago but I know what it's like want to go every weekend hit the lakes during spawning season starts to warm up.

BLM land can't be closed off just not possible really and should not be anyway.
Fishing sounds great about now, but I'm not going to take the chance until this "scare" has subsided. Ordinarily, I say keep the recreational areas open. But does it make any sense for hikers to crowd the trails and not keep a safe distance? Maybe the hiking trails outside of the Phoenix aren't crowded, but many of the ones in & near Phoenix have an abundance of hikers. Not only this, but we're already hearing reports of hikers becoming stranded, which is putting an extra burden on the first responders.

If we leave the recreational areas open, there should be a Stupid Hiker Law in place which requires paying for their own rescues. I'm really more in favor of letting Social Darwinism take hold. Unprepared hikers should get what they have coming to them. Paramedics have more urgent matters to attend to instead of rushing to rescue these idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
Another person above asked why Arizona would need to do anything at all because "they don't have the problems that NYC has".

My nephew in Maricopa County was convinced until last week that the whole thing was a hoax.

I love Arizona, but seriously, what's wrong with some of you guys? lol
Didn't you hear? We're not as packed in, stacked on top of each other, nor as populated as NYC. Our beautiful sunny, warm weather will kill off this bad ol' virus. With these things in mind, we have it gooooood here. So good in fact that COVID 19 is virtually non existent because of our detached lifestyles and our climate. It's so beautiful outside that everybody should be out getting some fresh air ... oh, but don't forget to wear a mask!
()

Old 04-05-2020, 01:33 PM

24,525 posts, read 26,066,514 times
Somewhat OT, anyone read to the bottom of the clickable orange announcement in the banner at the top of the page?

Coronavirus Forum Discussion for all of City Data. 38.000 plus posts.

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/coronavirus/

Old 04-05-2020, 01:34 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,291,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
You might want to check your population numbers. No one is strutting anywhere, unless you mean the guy who saw no reason to close anything?? The Toronto area is around 6 million people and the Province is nearly 15 million.
I don't need to re-check anything, you compared the total cases in the State of AZ to the total cases in the City of Toronto (not metro area). The City of Toronto has less than 3 million people, the "Province" has less than 15 million people (twice the population of AZ). My numbers check out, yours do not.

I'm sorry your neighbors came back with Coronavirus, maybe they were dumb and not following social distancing guidelines, unlike my family maybe they got it on the trip home but whatever the case is, it's simply anecdotal evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area