Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2020, 11:40 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,614,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
NYC first covid case was confirmed Mar 1st. April 5th there are 122,000 cases.

Toronto first covid case was Jan 25th. Apr 5th there are 823 cases.

Arizona first case was Jan 26th. Apr 5th there are 2200 cases.

Arizona did not act as fast or as widespread as Toronto. Your suggestion would be more like NYC. Can you not see how actions have consequences?
Arizona has the lowest rate of testing of all 50 states + DC. Many cases are not getting tested. And therefore, not reported.

"Your suggestion would be more like NYC. Can you not see how actions have consequences?"

WTH does this have to do with what I said? I didn't make a suggestion. I stated that one reason we may not be as badly hit is because national sports leagues ended their seasons early (or postponed) and major festivals canceled. That is not a "suggestion".

Also, Ducey didn't apply for federal disaster status until April 1, it was approved by the feds April 4. I sure hope all the businesses that applied for SBA disaster loans prior to 4/1 aren't denied because AZ didn't get disaster status until 4/4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2020, 11:46 AM

586 posts, read 541,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Arizona has the lowest rate of testing of all 50 states + DC. Many cases are not getting tested. And therefore, not reported.

"Can you not see how actions have consequences?"

WTH does this have to do with what I said? I stated that one reason we may not be as badly hit is because NATIONAL SPORTS LEAGUES closed their seasons and major festivals canceled. It sure wasn't anything Ducey did. Also, Ducey didn't apply for federal disaster status until April 1, it was approved by the feds April 4. I sure hope all the businesses that applied for SBA disaster loans prior to 4/1 aren't denied because AZ didn't get disaster status until 4/4.
Apologies meant to quote the person you had quoted??

Old 04-05-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Ontario, Canada (the state that Toronto is in) has over 4,000 cases. So the per capita is similar to Arizona.
Ontario, A Province, tests at about 1.5 the rate of AZ. The bonus to AZ should be that it is not a hub at this time and people are more likely to leave than to go to in the near future. Toronto is a World hub and has thousands arriving everyday. So more Toronto and less NYC should be the goal.

Old 04-05-2020, 11:54 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
Quote:
Ontario, A Province, tests at about 1.5 the rate of AZ.
This only matters to me if there are huge numbers of Arizonans showing symptoms that can't get tested, I don't know if that is true or not. I have heard about the difficulty of people trying to get tested here (and nationwide), but perhaps the lack of tests is also reflective of a lower rate of symptoms?

Old 04-05-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
This only matters to me if there are huge numbers of Arizonans showing symptoms that can't get tested, I don't know if that is true or not. I have heard about the difficulty of people trying to get tested here (and nationwide), but perhaps the lack of tests is also reflective of a lower rate of symptoms?
If you really want to stop this virus its almost too late to test when you show symptoms. By that time you have been spreading the virus for days. When you show symptoms it's time to quarantine unless medical attention is necessary. Medical personal and front line workers should be tested frequently, the rest of us should just be staying home.

Old 04-05-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I live in a small Canadian City and spend my winters in AZ. In the last few weeks we have had 3 people return from AZ who tested positive, they did not know each other. It would be a massive coincidence for that to happen in a low infection State. I suspect a numbers increase coming.

Old 04-05-2020, 12:07 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times
Quote:
I don't mean any offense at all, but my observation based on this forum is that in general, residents of Arizona seem to be having the hardest time conceptualizing the danger of this virus. A lot of that is based on the lack of motivation and reaction by Ducey, who is supported in his effortless (literally) response by the President, both of whom have prioritized leaving economies open as long as possible despite the fact that in doing so, they're also allowing it to spread.

Another person above asked why Arizona would need to do anything at all because "they don't have the problems that NYC has".

My nephew in Maricopa County was convinced until last week that the whole thing was a hoax.

I love Arizona, but seriously, what's wrong with some of you guys? lol

Where I live, we locked down well before Maricopa County did. We locked down around 200 confirmed cases (similar to where Pima County was last week) because it is undoubtedly true that if you have 200 confirmed cases, you actually have somewhere in the neighborhood of 2,000 unknown cases and you're spreading exponentially. Maricopa easily has 10,000 cases. And while part of you will think, "Hm, that means a lot of people have it and it's not so bad. I'm not worried." It also means that many of those unconfirmed cases have not shown their symptoms yet and we're just guessing that their bodies will handle it without taxing the medical system. Where you should really be worried is that 10,000 people communicating and conducting business with 40,000 others means that in about a month or so, you're going to have a real situation on your hands and there's nothing evidenced by leadership that would lead anyone to believe that the mortality rate won't jump sharply in 25-30 days.

Old 04-05-2020, 12:08 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,725,543 times
Quote:
If you really want to stop this virus its almost too late to test when you show symptoms. By that time you have been spreading the virus for days. When you show symptoms it's time to quarantine unless medical attention is necessary. Medical personal and front line workers should be tested frequently, the rest of us should just be staying home.
There is no stopping only staggering. Same goes for testing, we can't test every single person in the country, that's just nuts.

Old 04-05-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
There is no stopping only staggering. Same goes for testing, we can't test every single person in the country, that's just nuts.
You dont need to test folks who are staying home, just practise good hygiene and physical distancing. However if you arent resting front line workers there will be an expansion of infected folks.

Old 04-05-2020, 12:16 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
I don't mean any offense at all, but my observation based on this forum is that in general, residents of Arizona seem to be having the hardest time conceptualizing the danger of this virus. A lot of that is based on the lack of motivation and reaction by Ducey, who is supported in his effortless (literally) response by the President, both of whom have prioritized leaving economies open as long as possible despite the fact that in doing so, they're also allowing it to spread.

Another person above asked why Arizona would need to do anything at all because "they don't have the problems that NYC has".

My nephew in Maricopa County was convinced until last week that the whole thing was a hoax.

I love Arizona, but seriously, what's wrong with some of you guys? lol

Where I live, we locked down well before Maricopa County did. We locked down around 200 confirmed cases (similar to where Pima County was last week) because it is undoubtedly true that if you have 200 confirmed cases, you actually have somewhere in the neighborhood of 2,000 unknown cases and you're spreading exponentially. Maricopa easily has 10,000 cases. And while part of you will think, "Hm, that means a lot of people have it and it's not so bad. I'm not worried." It also means that many of those unconfirmed cases have not shown their symptoms yet and we're just guessing that their bodies will handle it without taxing the medical system. Where you should really be worried is that 10,000 people communicating and conducting business with 40,000 others means that in about a month or so, you're going to have a real situation on your hands and there's nothing evidenced by leadership that would lead anyone to believe that the mortality rate won't jump sharply in 25-30 days.
Believe me I'm not having any trouble "conceptualizing" this and I understand the seriousness, never said otherwise. My issue was with the Canadian strutting around here like a peacock about how much better Canada is doing by comparing the overall numbers of a city of under 3 million vs a state of over 7 million. When you break it down per capita, the numbers are staggeringly similar. Nothing more, nothing less. I was simply pointing out a flawed comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area