Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2020, 08:21 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,213,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Oh my gosh.

Humor is soooo wasted on this crowd.
I didn't know your post was humor. I actually thought someone else (not you) said it. Add a "lol" after it and I'll get your point. Sorry I didn't get your punchline. That all said and to me at least, saying 21% of the people died today was from COVID is a worthy stat to state. Not to scare me. Rather, it's relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
wow, you got me there...I better head back to my basement, and get back into my bubble; this thread is loaded with mean people now, sadly, all attacking anyone who doesn't agree with them, wanting to argue, castigate, and put down people even as the apocalypse prepares to wipe out mankind...

so sad what CD has turned into..I sure wont miss it..
wase... I suspect we agree most of the time. But there is some irony here. You are kind-of quick to attack when you view someone as a "Debbie-Downer". Something as subtle as one of these defines it.

To err is human. I'm not going to deny that I probably am overcompensating and have become a touch paranoid early on. I'm trying to strike a balance. And it's not the "media". That narrative is getting really old. The fact is that 21% of people that died today was from the COVID virus and we are in "lock-down mode". Forgive me for feeling at risk. We are in unchartered waters. People are skeptical and to me at least, rightfully so. YMMV.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:20 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,737,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
wase... I suspect we agree most of the time. But there is some irony here. You are kind-of quick to attack when you view someone as a "Debbie-Downer". Something as subtle as one of these defines it.

To err is human. I'm not going to deny that I probably am overcompensating and have become a touch paranoid early on. I'm trying to strike a balance. And it's not the "media". That narrative is getting really old. The fact is that 21% of people that died today was from the COVID virus and we are in "lock-down mode". Forgive me for feeling at risk. We are in unchartered waters. People are skeptical and to me at least, rightfully so. YMMV.

We could have a contest to find the "expert" who has gone from one extreme to the other (and probably back again) so you shouldn't feel bad.
My impression of this whole thing can change on a daily basis and even then I'll probably change again. To see so called experts doing the same thing leads me to believe one thing: we are screwed.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:59 AM

39,109 posts, read 51,335,349 times
Back to state news: Up again today, but Maricopa county is looking better. As commented yesterday, we need to quit focusing on case counts because testing is a continuing fiasco and look to hospitalizations now that that data is out there. So we went from 318 yesterday to 326 today in Maricopa which is encouraging. Still rising though.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:44 AM

8,046 posts, read 12,295,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
No, hypocrite detectors
In defense of Wase, he has been probably the least hypocritical of all on here. In fact, I'd say pretty consistent that this whole thing has been blown up into yet another huge crisis ... just like other things in the not too distant past that turned out to be little more than a big hype. Forcing all of us to alter our lives & give up our freedoms, and screeching the entire economy to a halt are doing far more damage to society than this virus could ever do in its most critical stages.

Old 04-09-2020, 11:49 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,118,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
I would argue that we didn't know jack about this virus over a month ago. The information changes daily. But let's be real. It really wouldn't matter what Trump or Pence does or doesn't do. You liberals are never happy.
The reality of truth belies your argument.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...t-experts-had/

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...january-2020-3

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...597_story.html

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...om-white-house

Old 04-09-2020, 11:58 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,286,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Back to state news: Up again today, but Maricopa county is looking better. As commented yesterday, we need to quit focusing on case counts because testing is a continuing fiasco and look to hospitalizations now that that data is out there. So we went from 318 yesterday to 326 today in Maricopa which is encouraging. Still rising though.
I'm starting to wonder if this thing will really take hold here. 326 hospitalizations out of our entire population is nothing. I read they already reduced their orders of ventilators by a large amount. I've been on the cautious side from the beginning, but I'm starting to second guess that assumption.

Old 04-09-2020, 12:05 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,737,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I'm starting to wonder if this thing will really take hold here. 326 hospitalizations out of our entire population is nothing. I read they already reduced their orders of ventilators by a large amount. I've been on the cautious side from the beginning, but I'm starting to second guess that assumption.
To me, I'd like to see more info on the deaths (age, preexisting condition, etc.).

Old 04-09-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
In defense of Wase, he has been probably the least hypocritical of all on here. In fact, I'd say pretty consistent that this whole thing has been blown up into yet another huge crisis ... just like other things in the not too distant past that turned out to be little more than a big hype. Forcing all of us to alter our lives & give up our freedoms, and screeching the entire economy to a halt are doing far more damage to society than this virus could ever do in its most critical stages.
It depends on how you define it. I suppose 1% total death toll (doing nothing) by definition, is not a big deal. Some would say the actually "doing nothing" number is .5% while others say it is 3%. So yea, I pulled 1% out of my arse because no one knows. It sure the Hell wouldn't be 40K total unless we had a pretty big "social distancing effort".

So if a total of 40K died without social distancing in the USA until August, again I'd agree with you "no big deal" as compared to shutting down the country! Because there is a MASSIVE amount of pain to a lot of people including death (stress, suicide, etc). So it really boils down to what exactly happened during "social distancing" and how much that helped for round 1 of this battle. IF social distancing helped dramatically (that's what my eyes see), then this wasn't "hyped". Because rational people would never look at 40K deaths and conclude "why did we shut things down" and forget about the social distancing.

That said, there is a reason for this Mark Twain's phrase: There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. Because I can spin it any way I want if I want to prove any point. As I said earlier, 21% of the people who will die today in the USA is because of COVID 19. If we did nothing, it could have been a sh*t show!

There was always room to discuss what the ROI is for saving 1% of peoples lives. There IS a cost where it is worse. The only debate as at what point. Early data suggested 3.5% which most rational people know is extremely high.... NOW.

Old 04-09-2020, 12:21 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,295,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
He's been making arguments and then arguing that he didn't make them, accusing others of changing the conversation. It's standard behavior though. That type of nonsense should be called out. As for this not being a "huge crisis", I think those that died or lost loved ones would argue otherwise. The only reason it's not worse than it is, is because the mitigation efforts are working.
It's not a huge crisis when you consider that cancer affects far more people and costs many more lives than COVID 19 will ever do ... yet, I don't see everybody going into lockdown & hiding from the world over cancer. Of course, cancer isn't contagious like this virus is, but even so, the positive rate for COVID 19 amounts to less than 1% of the total population. If we didn't practice social distancing, it might have risen to a whopping 2% at the most, but imagine how this virus could have possibly been even more controlled with common sense practices such as cleanliness & better hygiene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area