Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2020, 03:55 PM

9,781 posts, read 11,187,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
That's a fair estimated guess. If everyone did absolutely nothing, I think the number is much higher, but overall, we are doing some things, so I think the estimate is fair.

Question: what would you do / what would you have done differently?
Listen to the medical and experts years ago. Else, why have them? Any never listen to the medical experts when it comes to cost-benefit analysis on getting the economy going.

As for specifics, I don't have the bandwidth to type. But since politics enter into these decisions, you can be assured the path will be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 04:59 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,624,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Ohhh, but Arizona's risk is supposed to be reduced since we tend to be more suburban than a place like NYC. We're more detached, have our own methods of transportation, etc., etc. Oh, and our wonderful, sunny, warm weather kills viruses more rapidly than a colder, wetter environment. And if anybody believes this, they probably also believe in the Easter Bunny & the Tooth Fairy!

There's no Easter Bunny? You ruined my day

Meanwhile, Georgia's governor just overrode cities and counties and opened the beaches.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:04 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,283,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Meanwhile, Georgia's governor just overrode cities and counties and opened the beaches.
In a way, I can see why some people want recreational areas to remain open. When you're out of work or working from home and become bored because very little else is available, what do you do? These government mandates over what businesses can & can't do, as well as all this control over our lives has gotten WAY out of hand. Social distancing and/or being isolated goes against human nature.

The main reason I think recreational areas should be closed (besides being non essential) is the risk factor if somebody becomes stranded, lost, injured, or whatever. Carrying some unprepared idiot from a preserve, or pulling a boater/swimmer out of a lake (where they don't need to be in the first place) takes too much time away from paramedics who need to be available for the IMPORTANT matters, especially with COVID 19 being the dominant issue now.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:22 PM

13,313 posts, read 7,359,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
In a way, I can see why some people want recreational areas to remain open. When you're out of work or working from home and become bored because very little else is available, what do you do? These government mandates over what businesses can & can't do, as well as all this control over our lives has gotten WAY out of hand. Social distancing and/or being isolated goes against human nature.

The main reason I think recreational areas should be closed (besides being non essential) is the risk factor if somebody becomes stranded, lost, injured, or whatever. Carrying some unprepared idiot from a preserve, or pulling a boater/swimmer out of a lake (where they don't need to be in the first place) takes too much time away from paramedics who need to be available for the IMPORTANT matters, especially with COVID 19 being the dominant issue now.
Why close off Arizona we don't have the same problems NYC is having. Our hospitals, and Emergency services are not overloading with covid-19 patients.

Lakes should be regulated some keep the numbers down but lot of guys want to get out and do some bass fishing a few people in a boat maybe 2 per boat only. I sold my bass boat years ago but I know what it's like want to go every weekend hit the lakes during spawning season starts to warm up.

BLM land can't be closed off just not possible really and should not be anyway.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Why close off Arizona we don't have the same problems NYC is having. Our hospitals, and Emergency services are not overloading with covid-19 patients.
Yet being the key word. Not overloaded YET. That could easily change however.

Actually, some of the smaller rural hospitals are already close to maxing out.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:25 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,101,497 times
Quote:

Lakes should be regulated some keep the numbers down but lot of guys want to get out and do some bass fishing a few people in a boat maybe 2 per boat only. I sold my bass boat years ago but I know what it's like want to go every weekend hit the lakes during spawning season starts to warm up.

BLM land can't be closed off just not possible really and should not be anyway.
They will be. It's cyclical. If you don't close things off, the exponential growth of the virus will overload your hospitals. They're trying to avoid that happening. How is it not clear what's happening? lol

Old 04-05-2020, 09:18 AM

*IF* we end up with a manageable case load statewide, it won't be because of anything the state or the governor did. It will be in large part to the NBA, MLB, MLH and MLS ending or postponing their seasons. It will be because so many large festivals and events in early March canceled or postponed. Otherwise, with the traffic those events bring in, we could very well be in the same boat right now as New Orleans.

But I still question why the state testing numbers are so damned low. I know there was a shortage of test kits but other states managed to test significantly more patients that we have in the same amount of time. Did the state not want to spend the money?

Old 04-05-2020, 09:37 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,992,479 times
Quote:

Where did you get this information?

Old 04-05-2020, 10:58 AM

586 posts, read 542,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Yet being the key word. Not overloaded YET. That could easily change however.

Actually, some of the smaller rural hospitals are already close to maxing out.
NYC first covid case was confirmed Mar 1st. April 5th there are 122,000 cases.

Toronto first covid case was Jan 25th. Apr 5th there are 823 cases.

Arizona first case was Jan 26th. Apr 5th there are 2200 cases.

Arizona did not act as fast or as widespread as Toronto. Your suggestion would be more like NYC. Can you not see how actions have consequences?

Old 04-05-2020, 11:08 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,286,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates419 View Post
NYC first covid case was confirmed Mar 1st. April 5th there are 122,000 cases.

Toronto first covid case was Jan 25th. Apr 5th there are 823 cases.

Arizona first case was Jan 26th. Apr 5th there are 2200 cases.

Arizona did not act as fast or as widespread as Toronto. Your suggestion would be more like NYC. Can you not see how actions have consequences?
Ontario, Canada (the state that Toronto is in) has over 4,000 cases. So the per capita is similar to Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area