Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2021, 09:04 PM

26,282 posts, read 49,209,693 times

Advertisements

I expect that we will soon enough see our street corner pharmacies giving the Moderna vaccine that needs only a normal refrigerator or freezer. I can say that my local Walgreen's doesn't have the staffing at this time to allocate 2-3 people full time to this chore, they'd have to find new workers to give the vaccine.

The -70F freezers belong in hospitals and certain places where they can get a high volume of people through in a short time, and the Pfizer vaccine should be directed to these places. I foresee some of these freezers being moved to some venues with large parking lots, like High Schools or shopping centers.

We'll get there.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 09:16 PM

8,049 posts, read 12,318,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I expect that we will soon enough see our street corner pharmacies giving the Moderna vaccine that needs only a normal refrigerator or freezer. I can say that my local Walgreen's doesn't have the staffing at this time to allocate 2-3 people full time to this chore, they'd have to find new workers to give the vaccine.
Not just the pharmacies, but doctor's offices as well. We can easily go to our own physicians & get the flu vaccine every fall, as well as shots for shingles, pneumonia, tetanus, and many others. The COVID vaccine should be just as convenient ... and I'm hoping with the forthcoming Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines, it will increase availability. After all, this is 2021, not 1961. With today's technology & advancement in medical science, these things should be moving at a much more expedient & efficient pace. As for Walgreens not having the staffing, this is where they could easily hire more people and help with job creation.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:24 PM

Agree, all the way around. In rural areas I can see people getting their vax at local Fire Department sites since there should be some EMTs there, as are in city areas, or at school houses. Even in rural areas there are pharmacies with vax rooms, as well as most Wal-Marts or supermarkets.

Old 01-20-2021, 06:18 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,992,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
https://theconversation.com/the-grea...-effort-152806

Here's an interesting read about the Polio vaccine(s) and the screw ups involved at the time. This happened before I was born, but you'll probably remember it. Seems like there's little change regarding the incompetence between then & now. Mistake #1 was putting the vaccines in the hands of the government. After all, private companies were the ones that manufactured the products, so it should be the private sector responsible for distribution. The pharmacies and medical clinics are the ones which should be giving the COVID shots to their own patients ... not forcing people to go through the hassles of registering on a website with technical issues, then having to go miles out of their way & wait in a long line.
I saw something about the Polio vaccine during the 1950's outbreak at the peak of the disease. Here is the video I watched. It was actually pretty informative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6-alMSUtvU&t=427s

The batch that was the problem wasn't the government. I understand why people think that the government is unreliable. Salk had made the vaccine open for pharmaceutical companies to make their own. Salk didn't patent the vaccine. One of the labs in 1955, Cutter was not regulated and gave faulty dosage which expanded the pandemic. The Sabin oral vaccine actually helped save the Polio vaccine efforts.

Compared to COVID, Polio until Sabin's oral vaccine was largely the same. COVID vaccines depend on the makers and were found by pharmaceutical companies. AstraZeneca, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson and Pfizer/BioGen all have been similar but different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
Surely you've heard that the Pfizer vaccine must be stored at -70 C, and there are only a limited number of places that have the capability to store it at those low temps so that's the reason for the limited number of sites. The Moderna vaccine is the one going to pharmacies in the near future. I'm sure there'll be appointments required and waiting lines there as well.
https://www.pfizer.com/news/hot-topi...ys%20unopened.
We can only hope. Moderna is at least now, a small batch vaccine. Hopefully they can increase. I hope Biden does use the Defense Production Act to help further with the production and supply chain. One problem that has happened and has worries even here in Arizona is. One can hope that we get in a better spot as we reach closer to opening of the Phoenix Municipal Stadium site. That or we will have a disaster that we didn't have with the initial roll out of Polio.

Quote:

The -70F freezers belong in hospitals and certain places where they can get a high volume of people through in a short time, and the Pfizer vaccine should be directed to these places. I foresee some of these freezers being moved to some venues with large parking lots, like High Schools or shopping centers.

We'll get there.
Yes but we are in a race against time. We don't have time. I'm surprised that we haven't given emergency use authorization to the AztraZenca vaccine yet. I mean, couldn't they use the European data? Going back to Polio, Sabin's oral vaccine was tested in the Soviet Union and other European countries and the Salk vaccine was tested in Finland as well as the US for the million children trial.

To go back to the race against time, yes, we are possibly at our own peak of viral infections in this wave. But with the more infectious strain starting to flare up more and more in the US, it is eventually coming to Arizona. It isn't an "if" at this point, but more a "when" situation.

I think the vaccines that do not high refrigeration like the Johnson & Johnson and AztraZenca vaccines would be best for the local pharmacy compared to Moderna which is small batch.

Quote:
Not just the pharmacies, but doctor's offices as well. We can easily go to our own physicians & get the flu vaccine every fall, as well as shots for shingles, pneumonia, tetanus, and many others. The COVID vaccine should be just as convenient ... and I'm hoping with the forthcoming Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines, it will increase availability. After all, this is 2021, not 1961. With today's technology & advancement in medical science, these things should be moving at a much more expedient & efficient pace. As for Walgreens not having the staffing, this is where they could easily hire more people and help with job creation.
IMHO the local pharmacy method is better at least in AZ. I mean I haven't had a PCP in about four years. My parents have changed PCPs roughly once every year and a half since 2016. Also many people have trouble getting a PCP, hence the reliance in Arizona for clinics.

Old 01-21-2021, 11:06 AM

Last night on the TV news they said ALL of the appointment slots for February were taken. That was quick.

Excerpt: "The Arizona Department of Health Services opened nearly 150,000 appointments for people, including those age 65 and older, to get their first does of the high-demand COVID-19 vaccine. Scheduling started at 9 a.m. Tuesday. Thirteen hours later, all of those appointments had been snatched up. Getting one of the coveted appointments was no easy feat, according to users. Even ADHS acknowledged that its website was slammed with people trying to get appointments."

Agree, no easy feat given that their website is a bizarre creation.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-21-2021 at 12:55 PM..

Old 01-21-2021, 11:11 AM

39,126 posts, read 51,407,276 times
Quote:
Last night on the TV news they said ALL of the appointment slots for February were taken. That was quick.
Got my fingers crossed they don't start cancelling appointments for lack of vaccine like is happening in other places now. I really don't want to go another round with the kludgy website.

Old 01-21-2021, 11:20 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,039,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Got my fingers crossed they don't start cancelling appointments for lack of vaccine like is happening in other places now. I really don't want to go another round with the kludgy website.
You and me both.

When they have no-shows, I don't know why they can't call people who have appts towards the end of February and say, "If you can get here inside of an hour, you can have your shot today."

There's absolutely no need to waste vaccine on young healthy people who are hoping to jump the line so they can brag online.

Old 01-21-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You and me both.

When they have no-shows, I don't know why they can't call people who have appts towards the end of February and say, "If you can get here inside of an hour, you can have your shot today."

There's absolutely no need to waste vaccine on young healthy people who are hoping to jump the line so they can brag online.
They aren't what they are doing instead is offering to those in cars with say their parent or children in the car, if they are hit with a rash of no shows. That said my parents were not able to get their appointments.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:33 PM

8,049 posts, read 12,318,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
IMHO the local pharmacy method is better at least in AZ. I mean I haven't had a PCP in about four years. My parents have changed PCPs roughly once every year and a half since 2016. Also many people have trouble getting a PCP, hence the reliance in Arizona for clinics.
Some insurance plans require an assigned PCP, even if some people rarely see a doctor. Even those plans that don't require a PCP, you can usually walk into a medical facility which accepts your insurance and receive the influenza vaccination, and a string of other shots if needed. If not, then the closest CVS or Walgreens will almost always have these vaccines available. My point is that the COVID vaccination process should be as hassle free as receiving the annual flu shot. The current process of signing up on a gov't website with numerous flaws, and going to a public venue to be forced to wait in a line is ridiculous. In this day & age, the system should be much more efficient than this.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Some insurance plans require an assigned PCP, even if some people rarely see a doctor. Even those plans that don't require a PCP, you can usually walk into a medical facility which accepts your insurance and receive the influenza vaccination, and a string of other shots if needed. If not, then the closest CVS or Walgreens will almost always have these vaccines available. My point is that the COVID vaccination process should be as hassle free as receiving the annual flu shot. The current process of signing up on a gov't website with numerous flaws, and going to a public venue to be forced to wait in a line is ridiculous. In this day & age, the system should be much more efficient than this.
Mine doesn't ask for an assigned PCP, I have BCBS. For the flu shot, I've used my employer or if timing didn't match up for the pod, I would go to Walgreens and Walmart for it. All you typically have to do is show the insurance card and often times it is free. If I didn't work for my employer, I wouldn't get the flu shot because I haven't really gotten the flu since moving to AZ.

The COVID vaccine unless we had a turn-key stock when the vaccines were green-lit for emergency use authorization there would be no way for it to be as hassle-free as the flu shot. There is no proof of that happening and Trump's actions regarding the vaccine handout has been horrendous. No 20m vaccinations by 2021 (we are at 18m 21 days after the mark), no Defense Production Act (DPA) use, no backstock, no distribution plan by Trump. Biden put forth the DPA, not Trump. Trump regardless of your political alignment has failed us on COVID far worse than we know.

The website woes, goes to show yet again that Arizona worries more about cutting corners, than serving its citizens. The website was horrible. I used chrome on my phone and got it to work but my mother no matter the website couldn't get it to work. The calendar dating was one of the worst I've seen. I couldn't change by year and you couldn't type it in. The fact that Arizona only had TWO state sites knowing how the counties are having issues with their supply, the incoming supply from the federal government to the state and many 65+ people we have and people who have preexisting conditions is just asinine.

Safe to say I think it is across aisle issue that leadership at the state and federal levels have done a nothing but a failure on the vaccine roll-out. Hopefully President Biden can get things right with the enactment of the DPA on vaccine, a real supply chain and perhaps we can see sooner approval of other vaccines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area