Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2021, 03:05 PM

26,240 posts, read 49,129,254 times

Advertisements

Here's a link to an article in the NY Times on the virus in Maricopa County. IIRC this article is updated daily with the latest numbers.

The NY Times is a paywall site but makes a lot of its pandemic news freely available.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 06:19 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,290,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Here's a link to an article in the NY Times on the virus in Maricopa County. IIRC this article is updated daily with the latest numbers.

The NY Times is a paywall site but makes a lot of its pandemic news freely available.
NY Times also has an interactive map of the U.S. listing the number of cases in each state & county ... however, that is now available only for subscribers. The CDC has a similar map which can be viewed by selecting a county of choice (see link below). Notice on the national map that most of the darkest shaded areas are once again concentrated in the southern tier of states, particularly in southern CA & AZ.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...tatracker-home

Old 02-15-2021, 02:03 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,002,577 times
I had a midnight appointment at State Farm Stadium. Generally, the vaccination procedure went well except for the college student/volunteer who was wearing his mask below his nose. I had respirator and goggles on as well as having the vehicle fan on high to keep pushing air out the open window, so I'm not too worried for my safety. But I did stop the first adult I saw and told him about the problem.

Old 02-15-2021, 08:11 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,669,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I had a midnight appointment at State Farm Stadium. Generally, the vaccination procedure went well except for the college student/volunteer who was wearing his mask below his nose. I had respirator and goggles on as well as having the vehicle fan on high to keep pushing air out the open window, so I'm not too worried for my safety. But I did stop the first adult I saw and told him about the problem.
College students are adults. The volunteers there are working nine hour shifts, some through the night, all outside, and all on their feet. Most do so to get the vaccine for themselves, so the mask slip is likely an honest mistake and not some non-science believing freak. Even with it below his nose, with him being outside your car, the risk seems incredibly low, even had you rolled the dice and forgone the goggles.

Old 02-15-2021, 08:48 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,321,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
College students are adults. The volunteers there are working nine hour shifts, some through the night, all outside, and all on their feet. Most do so to get the vaccine for themselves, so the mask slip is likely an honest mistake and not some non-science believing freak. Even with it below his nose, with him being outside your car, the risk seems incredibly low, even had you rolled the dice and forgone the goggles.
I get the sense of risk, but that was a pretty cheap shot (no pun) to "report" a volunteer giving their time to protect the beneficiary's life. Folks should be advised that there is some face to face contact at the vaccine site, so find an N95 or a KN95, put it on tightly and cover it with a cloth mask if you are concerned. Bring some hand sanitizer too as you will be handling things that the staff has touched.

Old 02-15-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I get the sense of risk, but that was a pretty cheap shot (no pun) to "report" a volunteer giving their time to protect the beneficiary's life.
My point exactly. They’re there giving their time mostly because they believe in the process. I highly doubt the mask slip was intentional. Some anti-mask freak wouldn’t be there.

Old 02-15-2021, 09:03 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,002,577 times
The mask was below his nose when I arrived. It was still below his nose as he was waiting for the next car. It takes, what, 3 seconds to pull it up.

But thank you for chastising me for trying to make this process safer for other people. I feel so...humbled.

Old 02-15-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The mask was below his nose when I arrived. It was still below his nose as he was waiting for the next car. It takes, what, 3 seconds to pull it up.

But thank you for chastising me for trying to make this process safer for other people. I feel so...humbled.
You’re also not supposed to touch the outside of your mask and he likely had an iPad or something in his hands making it difficult to raise it safely. I give the guy volunteering his time to help vaccinate Arizonans the benefit of the doubt. If he were some jackass in the grocery store like that, I’d completely agree.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:33 AM

26,240 posts, read 49,129,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
... so find an N95 or a KN95, ....
Regarding masks, I found a source for Federally certified N95 masks that are made in USA. This firm in Miami makes them and have about 30M masks in stock for anyone who wants to buy some. I've some on the way and will let you know how I like them when they get here.

These masks come in two styles: a flat folding mask and a cup shaped mask.

The company's story is in a NY Times article. The Times is a paywall site but some articles are open to the public.

If you have a source for N95 masks that you'd like to tell us about, please add that info to this thread.

My wife and I will be back at SFS next week for the 2nd dose.

Please stop bickering, let's be supportive of each other in these threads.

Best to all.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-15-2021, 02:12 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,205,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Regarding masks, I found a source for Federally certified N95 masks that are made in USA. This firm in Miami makes them and have about 30M masks in stock for anyone who wants to buy some. I've some on the way and will let you know how I like them when they get here.

These masks come in two styles: a flat folding mask and a cup shaped mask.

The company's story is in a NY Times article. The Times is a paywall site but some articles are open to the public.

If you have a source for N95 masks that you'd like to tell us about, please add that info to this thread.

My wife and I will be back at SFS next week for the 2nd dose.

Please stop bickering, let's be supportive of each other in these threads.

Best to all.
I've been buying these https://www.ebay.com/itm/BYD-N95-Fol...IAAOSwrptfpwNm . BYD is the brand name. Our daughter who is a dentist sent us some many months ago. She got them for free from the State of WA and shared some. I was impressed. That's why I've been buying BYD's from Globe Drug (a legitimate supplier) from the link above. They are MUCH easier to breathe through than the KN95. Buyer beware: the KN series make me feel claustrophobic as they suffocate me. Even worse, early FDA tests show they are "N01" not N95 (that's a joke) in that they only filter out 1% of the submicron (1 millionth of a meter) particles. It's discussed here https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/07/h...ronavirus.html . i.e., they are junk.

But as Mike pointed out, there are multiple fraudulent "N95" suppliers. Buyer beware! Please do your research to make sure they are the real deal.

If you want to increase your odds of not getting COVID, then pay attention to airborne particles. You cannot assume people POS bandanas, uncovered noses, and various other crappy masks do much good. Personally, I make sure I have an N95 that fits and well and actually works. There are multiple frontline workers like our daughter that have been staring inside the mouth of (a certain percentage) of unknowing COVID patients. The working N95 has saved the day for the last 10 months. To me at least, go big or go home! N95's or bust! lol

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 02-15-2021 at 02:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area