Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2021, 07:47 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,924,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
So what? Go to Safeway, get a shot and ten bucks off on your grocery bill. One and done would be nice, but I just don't see the problem here. My dog gets shots every year. I can too.
who said it was a problem?
I get shots every year too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 07:49 AM

9,775 posts, read 11,184,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
I'm no doctor, but you can save this post for future reference..

just like the flu, this will morph into a slightly different variant every year, so expect to need some sort of booster/new shot every year for a long time
whether its driven by greed of the drug companies, or medical fact, it wont matter.

Covid, or what ever we call it as we go down the road, isnt going away anytime soon, and the vaccines wont be a "one and done"
IMO, the South African variety already will mandate a booster/modification. In fact, J&J's one-shot variety results were just released. And the vaccine’s efficacy rate is 72 percent in the United States. It drops to 57 percent in South Africa which has a mix of COVID mutations (not 100% SA variety). Other vaccines are also showing a decent sized drop with this SA brew. AND, 100% guarantee that we will have more "antigen drift" / mutations to follow.

I'm becoming less cautiously optimistic as the days roll out. Plus, I was really hoping for a homerun with J&J. J&J was a base hit.

Old 01-29-2021, 07:54 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
IMO, the South African variety already will mandate a booster/modification. In fact, J&J's one-shot variety results were just released. And the vaccine’s efficacy rate is 72 percent in the United States. It drops to 57 percent in South Africa which has a mix of COVID mutations (not 100% SA variety). Other vaccines are also showing a decent sized drop with this SA brew. AND, 100% guarantee that we will have more "antigen drift" / mutations to follow.

I'm becoming less cautiously optimistic as the days roll out. Plus, I was really hoping for a homerun with J&J. J&J was a base hit.
J&J was 85% effective against serious disease after 29 days there were no serious cases in the vaccinated group after 49 days (no hospitalizations). It takes about that long to get both shots of the mRNA and the immune response. Also, consider that the two mRNAs were tested months ago when the variants, known and unknown, were not circulating. Maybe it is an apples to oranges comparison in that regard.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:46 AM

9,775 posts, read 11,184,206 times
Quote:
J&J was 85% effective against serious disease after 29 days there were no serious cases in the vaccinated group after 49 days (no hospitalizations). It takes about that long to get both shots of the mRNA and the immune response. Also, consider that the two mRNAs were tested months ago when the variants, known and unknown, were not circulating. Maybe it is an apples to oranges comparison in that regard.
Correct in bold. Additionally, it is highly probable that the effectiveness will jump several % with two J&J shots. An educated guess by Dr. Fauci is up to 90% on the USA and UK variants.

My point is that the antigen drift is going to happen multiple more times. Especially when considering that people refuse to vaccinate, we have a slow-rollout, this new SA strain which is less effective is going to have lasting legs, etc. Couple that with fatigue and some people's refusal to buy into masks (30% still don't bother), it's far from over. As we drag this out, the health of our economy is concerning. I'm not exactly concerned with dying. But I don't want lasting health issues so I am being careful. All of this is such a mess!

Old 01-29-2021, 09:44 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,658,132 times
There won't be further mutations when we reach heard immunity. The current vaccines' effectiveness are more than enough to get us there, even if they are diluted by the current variants. It's a matter of speed and convincing the paranoid to get shot up at this point. If we can do it quick enough and with enough volume, it's over.

Old 01-29-2021, 10:08 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
There won't be further mutations when we reach heard immunity. The current vaccines' effectiveness are more than enough to get us there, even if they are diluted by the current variants. It's a matter of speed and convincing the paranoid to get shot up at this point. If we can do it quick enough and with enough volume, it's over.
That is a valid point but you are talking about the entire world when you speak of herd immunity necessary to suppress infection and replication to that degree. New variants will likely always emerge from some neglected corner of the planet and be transported by a mobile global population.

Old 01-29-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
That is a valid point but you are talking about the entire world when you speak of herd immunity necessary to suppress infection and replication to that degree. New variants will likely always emerge from some neglected corner of the planet and be transported by a mobile global population.
That's true. So, perhaps an annual booster will be in order. I still see us returning to normal life by the end of the year if this vaccine program steps up speed and educates the conspiracy crowd.

Old 01-30-2021, 04:23 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,281,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
I'm no doctor, but you can save this post for future reference..

just like the flu, this will morph into a slightly different variant every year, so expect to need some sort of booster/new shot every year for a long time
whether its driven by greed of the drug companies, or medical fact, it wont matter.

Covid, or what ever we call it as we go down the road, isnt going away anytime soon, and the vaccines wont be a "one and done"
Also, once the COVID spread is reduced to the point where it's no longer a news item, there will likely be yet another public health concern in the not too distant future. We seem to have forgotten the SARS outbreak in the early 2000s, and the H1N1 flu virus in 2009 (I had a "mild" case of this, even after receiving the annual flu shot that year). One thing these all have in common: they originated in foreign countries where wet markets are common. Coincidence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
That's true. So, perhaps an annual booster will be in order. I still see us returning to normal life by the end of the year if this vaccine program steps up speed and educates the conspiracy crowd.
Hard to tell at this point. There's a certain percentage of the population which is adamantly opposed to vaccines. Usually at first, there can be greater resistance to new vaccinations, such as the ones for COVID. Also, during the initial stages of the Polio vaccines some 60+ years ago, some children actually contracted Polio after receiving their shots. This caused more people to refuse the vaccinations due to mistrust.

In a way, I can understand the resistance based on these incidents ... however, increased opposition also leads to increased infection rates. To this date, there are parents who absolutely refuse to have their children vaccinated for childhood diseases (measles, etc.) for different reasons. They're often the same ones who will refuse to be vaccinated against COVID, even if & when the shots become more readily available. All I can say is that while they have the right to refuse them, they are also part of the problem.

Old 01-30-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Hard to tell at this point. There's a certain percentage of the population which is adamantly opposed to vaccines. Usually at first, there can be greater resistance to new vaccinations, such as the ones for COVID. Also, during the initial stages of the Polio vaccines some 60+ years ago, some children actually contracted Polio after receiving their shots. This caused more people to refuse the vaccinations due to mistrust.

In a way, I can understand the resistance based on these incidents ... however, increased opposition also leads to increased infection rates. To this date, there are parents who absolutely refuse to have their children vaccinated for childhood diseases (measles, etc.) for different reasons. They're often the same ones who will refuse to be vaccinated against COVID, even if & when the shots become more readily available. All I can say is that while they have the right to refuse them, they are also part of the problem.
The anti-vax sentiment will die out as the vaccine becomes more normalized and as they learn quickly how restrictive their lives will be without it. I doubt most of them are avid travelers, but if so, I see them being forced into it whether they get over their paranoia or not. As our economy continues to be in slow motion, they’ll be to blame and I think they’ll be stigmatized as well. The point is, there are lots of factors that will cause the anti-vax thing to fizzle out. Of course there will be die-hard (die-easy?!) anti-vaxxers but they’ll remain in the fringe, as they were pre-COVID.

Old 02-05-2021, 12:31 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,647,925 times
Quote:
J&J was tested during a later time period of the pandemic when variants arose. By contrast, the other two vaccines went through trials earlier when the variants weren 't as prevalent. So, the comparison of efficacy rates isn't the same. If done at the same time period, J&J may likely be more robust given a population with some infections due to variants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area