Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2021, 01:21 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,636,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
I think its a bit pre mature to break out the champagne; wait a few months to see what actually occurs from widespread vaccination, and then its ok to celebrate..We have no real idea if this will stop the spread in actual practice, or, if its just a temporary band aid of hope..And, dont forget, this vax is a 2 part shot, so nothing is really known until a few weeks AFTER the second dose...
Just like Flu shots dont eradicate the Flu, dont count on this eradicating Covy...
We need to stop with the flu comparisons once and for all. As far as vaccines go, the flu shot is 40-60% effective at best. COVID vaccines have been shown to be 90-95% effective. There is no comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 01:26 PM

26,210 posts, read 49,017,880 times
I've waited a year, got up at 5AM to get in line at 5:45AM to walk single file into Safeway at 6AM to buy a whole whopping 4 rolls of T-P.

I ain't waiting any longer. I booked our appointments.

Trust science, not morons.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-19-2021, 01:34 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
I got a very convenient appointment on the 2nd. I'm rather stunned as I expected a total mess after the problems earlier. It worked better this time for sure but the site is still kinda flakey in the way Mike FMBE described above. I just hope they have not overpromised on vaccine and will have the stuff when the big day arrives.

Old 01-19-2021, 01:40 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,636,523 times
Congrats to those getting scheduled! I'm VERY jealous although thankful to not be high risk, so I'll patiently await my turn. I'll be curious to hear about the process for scheduling your second dose. It seems as if both should be scheduled at the same time, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Old 01-19-2021, 01:59 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,883,528 times
I got my second through an email link, my principal hasn't yet. My parents though, 65+ so today they can log in and sign up but are having nothing but trouble. I'm not sure what it is.

Old 01-19-2021, 02:01 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
We need to stop with the flu comparisons once and for all. As far as vaccines go, the flu shot is 40-60% effective at best. COVID vaccines have been shown to be 90-95% effective. There is no comparison.
lets see how "effective" they are over the next 90 days. Until then, most intelligent people are holding off on judgement..

Old 01-19-2021, 02:26 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,274,050 times
Quote:
lets see how "effective" they are over the next 90 days. Until then, most intelligent people are holding off on judgement..
I'm actually hearing a lot of judgement from educated people based on all of the trials they've done that have exceeded 90 days. The vaccines that are approved have shown a 95% effectiveness, but even those that have contracted covid more than 10 days after their last shot, 0% had to be hospitalized. That's the main thing for me -- drastically limiting the severity of the symptoms so that it is more like a common cold even if you do still get it.

Old 01-19-2021, 02:30 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I'm actually hearing a lot of judgement from educated people based on all of the trials they've done that have exceeded 90 days. The vaccines that are approved have shown a 95% effectiveness, but even those that have contracted covid more than 10 days after their last shot, 0% had to be hospitalized. That's the main thing for me -- drastically limiting the severity of the symptoms so that it is more like a common cold even if you do still get it.
thats good to know, however, just like the "flu" tends to morph into something different year after year, I dont see any evidence that Covy wont be the same way..
once again, there is no definitive answer in the short term; this will take 6 months to a year before we can make an honest evaluation of how "effective" these vaccines are..

Old 01-19-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I got a very convenient appointment on the 2nd. I'm rather stunned as I expected a total mess after the problems earlier. It worked better this time for sure but the site is still kinda flakey in the way Mike FMBE described above. I just hope they have not overpromised on vaccine and will have the stuff when the big day arrives.
Good to hear. My mom had no issues at all getting hers or scheduling her second. She said she was there 23 minutes total for the first one, including the 15 minute wait afterwards.

Old 01-19-2021, 02:34 PM

Quote:
thats good to know, however, just like the "flu" tends to morph into something different year after year, I dont see any evidence that Covy wont be the same way..
once again, there is no definitive answer in the short term; this will take 6 months to a year before we can make an honest evaluation of how "effective" these vaccines are..
Everyone knows it changes, and the vaccine makers will have to "tweak" the spike protein in the vaccine occasionally and offer boosters. This is widely known.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area