Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2021, 02:46 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,208,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
This report on OANN brought to you by My Pillow™.
LMAO! Too funny. I trust Mr. Pillow. After all, he has a cross around his neck. In the meantime, “have a blessed day”!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2021, 03:58 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,736,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
LMAO! Too funny. I trust Mr. Pillow. After all, he has a cross around his neck. In the meantime, “have a blessed day”!
I would never trust that guy. He doesn't even have an Emmy!

Old 03-05-2021, 04:01 PM

5,457 posts, read 4,076,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
When your eyes are still exposed?

I'm sorry, but I have to laugh at all these panicked lemmings, running around in weird combinations of useless masks being used the wrong way for the wrong reason.

A mask is not going to stop you from getting sick. Period. Even the CDC used to announce that loudly until the bureaucrats got involved.

At what point do you ask yourself why the areas with the highest rates of infection are also the most zealous about masks?

I know I'm only the moderator here and from VT, but rather than delete your misinformation, I'd like to respond. Looking at the NY Times data, about 11% of Arizonians have been infected. In Vermont the figure is about 3%. EVERYONE I see when I go out is wearing a mask. How about in Arizona?

And if masks don't work, how do you account for the record low cases of flu this winter?

Old 03-05-2021, 04:59 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I know I'm only the moderator here and from VT, but rather than delete your misinformation, I'd like to respond. Looking at the NY Times data, about 11% of Arizonians have been infected. In Vermont the figure is about 3%. EVERYONE I see when I go out is wearing a mask. How about in Arizona?
I can only speak for what I've witnessed, but in the places I've been, masks are being worn by practically everybody. Arizona doesn't have a mask law, but Maricopa County does, and nearly every business that I'm aware of requires customers & employees to wear masks. The main exception to this is restaurants (for obvious reasons).

As for the infection rate being higher among ARIZONANS, there are a certain factors at play. Arizona is much more populated, and most of our population is concentrated in metro areas, whereas Vermont is highly rural and has a much different climate. Interesting to note that there were actually people who believed COVID would be concentrated in the highly dense cities (NYC for instance), and Phoenix would largely be spared because we're more suburban and spread out in comparison. Turns out that wasn't the case at all. The heaviest affected areas have been in the southern tier of states, predominantly the SW region where the dry weather has been playing a big part. Viruses spread faster in climates like ours than in more humid regions.

Quote:
And if masks don't work, how do you account for the record low cases of flu this winter?
Here's the answer:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ow/4127197001/

Basically, it's a combination of vaccinations, social distancing, and mask wearing. Main difference: there are vaccines for influenza widely available, but the COVID vaccines are new and limited on availability (which appears to be changing for the better).

Old 03-05-2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I can only speak for what I've witnessed, but in the places I've been, masks are being worn by practically everybody. Arizona doesn't have a mask law, but Maricopa County does, and nearly every business that I'm aware of requires customers & employees to wear masks. The main exception to this is restaurants (for obvious reasons).

As for the infection rate being higher among ARIZONANS, there are a certain factors at play. Arizona is much more populated, and most of our population is concentrated in metro areas, whereas Vermont is highly rural and has a much different climate. Interesting to note that there were actually people who believed COVID would be concentrated in the highly dense cities (NYC for instance), and Phoenix would largely be spared because we're more suburban and spread out in comparison. Turns out that wasn't the case at all. .
If we didn’t have mass deletions of posts, I could link what was actually discussed. What you just posted was not what anyone said.

It was discussed that COVID rates and transmission has multiple variables. It is more complicated than pointing to humidity or population density. There are weighted averages on these variables that took many months to obtain better data. What was stated is that all things being equal, more concentrated areas will have faster transmission rates. The only question that remained was how much impact that variable (proximity) had. People in subways and elevators are closer together on average than someone living in a SFH.

I lived in my SFH cocoon for MONTHS without a possibility of getting COVID. Again the key statement stated was “all things being equal”.

Old 03-06-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:

There are two possibilities as to why VT leads the country in very low COVID transmission rates.
First off, your educated, healthy, and homogeneous population listens to their experts. Meaning you are more compliant. If that means wearing masks with family and friends (as we do), then you listen to the science. Because that is where the transmission most often happens (as well as packed bars and restaurants).

The other possibility may related to ventilation... I think a study needs to be done on ventilation in the cab of Subaru cars! After all, everyone in VT owns a Subaru! Right?

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 03-06-2021 at 07:17 AM..

Old 03-06-2021, 07:29 AM

40,967 posts, read 49,283,992 times
Quote:

6-9% of the people crossing the border is infected by the virus and being released by the Biden Administration.

Does VT have this problem and spread among a huge Hispanic population?

Nope. This is a huge concern here in the south.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:49 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
6-9% of the people crossing the border is infected by the virus and being released by the Biden Administration.

Does VT have this problem and spread among a huge Hispanic population?

Nope. This is a huge concern here in the south.
Actually it's your sorry excuse for a governor that's not acting at the local level:

Texas Gov. Abbott Says He Won’t Test Migrants For Covid

A Department of Homeland Security spokesperson said the agency has offered local communities funding for testing, but it needs the state to sign off first: “We hope that Governor Abbott will reconsider his decision to reject DHS’s agreement with the Texan local authorities that would enable the very testing of migrant families that Governor Abbott says he wants.”

The guy is the laughing stock of the country. First selling out his state's power grid with disasterous results, now throwing a tweet-tantrum about COVID positive migrants while simultaneously refusing federal assistance to fix his very gripe, and then opening the state wide open for COVID to spread even further. What a joke.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:33 AM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
If we didn’t have mass deletions of posts, I could link what was actually discussed. What you just posted was not what anyone said.

It was discussed that COVID rates and transmission has multiple variables. It is more complicated than pointing to humidity or population density. There are weighted averages on these variables that took many months to obtain better data. What was stated is that all things being equal, more concentrated areas will have faster transmission rates. The only question that remained was how much impact that variable (proximity) had. People in subways and elevators are closer together on average than someone living in a SFH.

I lived in my SFH cocoon for MONTHS without a possibility of getting COVID. Again the key statement stated was “all things being equal”.
It is true that there are many variables involved. An individual's health & lifestyle play a big part. I personally know somebody who died from COVID. She was retired, lived in a single family home, only went out when necessary, but she was obese with Diabetes, high blood pressure, bad diet, and a former smoker. There's no doubt that her health is what contributed to her demise (largely self inflicted in her case). On the other hand, another person I know who tested positive for COVID is younger, healthier, and out & about quite often. She was pretty sick from the virus, but recovered without too many complications.

Yes, elevators & mass transit create cramped conditions and increase the likelihood of transmission. That's the point I was making. NY had a huge outbreak early on, but AZ became a COVID hot spot later on. What caused this? Couldn't have been riding those dirty subways! There are different contributing factors, but we can't dismiss climatic conditions as being one of them. Look on the internet, and you'll find various studies about low humidity contributing to more rampant virus spread because when the air is drier, aerosols become smaller. Those smaller infectious aerosols stay in the air longer, increasing the risk of infection. Dismissing or downplaying this fact would be debunking science. People have wondered for a long time why sinus infections, asthma, allergens, and our own home grown Valley Fever tend to be bad here, and there's no question that our dry climate is a major component.

Old 03-06-2021, 11:41 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
It is true that there are many variables involved. An individual's health & lifestyle play a big part. I personally know somebody who died from COVID. She was retired, lived in a single family home, only went out when necessary, but she was obese with Diabetes, high blood pressure, bad diet, and a former smoker. There's no doubt that her health is what contributed to her demise (largely self inflicted in her case). On the other hand, another person I know who tested positive for COVID is younger, healthier, and out & about quite often. She was pretty sick from the virus, but recovered without too many complications.

Yes, elevators & mass transit create cramped conditions and increase the likelihood of transmission. That's the point I was making. NY had a huge outbreak early on, but AZ became a COVID hot spot later on. What caused this? Couldn't have been riding those dirty subways! There are different contributing factors, but we can't dismiss climatic conditions as being one of them. Look on the internet, and you'll find various studies about low humidity contributing to more rampant virus spread because when the air is drier, aerosols become smaller. Those smaller infectious aerosols stay in the air longer, increasing the risk of infection. Dismissing or downplaying this fact would be debunking science. People have wondered for a long time why sinus infections, asthma, allergens, and our own home grown Valley Fever tend to be bad here, and there's no question that our dry climate is a major component.
The entire middle east with a dry climate had/has only a fraction of the rate of covid we had in Arizona. We are just about the worst state in the country. Nevada, drier than here is not nearly as bad. New Mexico too. I'm not buying the dryness angle. The simple reason Arizona got hit so hard is because we largely ignored social distancing and masking and opened up last year on the rising part of the curve when the heat sent everyone indoors. Then our winter tourist season brought round two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area