Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2021, 05:55 PM

9,742 posts, read 11,165,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I pay $4 per month. Do you get a better paper for $26 more?
I also pay $4/month for the digital version. BUT, that's a one-year promo with an auto-price hike. I plan on keeping it even after the price hike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2021, 05:59 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I also pay $4/month for the digital version. BUT, that's a one-year promo with an auto-price hike. I plan on keeping it even after the price hike.
I don't think I will keep it. I sample lots of publications. I won't pay full freight for Bloomberg, either, when the trial is up. I find the tone of their reporting particularly repellent.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:17 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Cancel it at the end of the term and they will immediately offer to renew it at $4. That was my experience, though it could change. I also have WaPo which I like better for $29 per year. Same thing happended when that subscription ran out. They offer to renew at the promo price. It's kinda ridiculous that AZ Central (AZ Republic) tries to get more than twice that for their fish wrapper.

Old 03-29-2021, 02:06 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
There's also this nugget that Mexico has been 'off' about their death toll:

https://apnews.com/article/coronavir...&utm_medium=AP
US is the only country in the world that does "death certificate matching". I really think the CDC should split the numbers of those who pass in a clinical setting vs death certificate matching. It really skews our numbers.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:03 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
In science sometimes things are fluid like in a pandemic. What appeared to be the right decision early on can and should be changed as new information comes in. Its silly to bash Fauci. He has been right most of the time. And he was early on saying this pandemic was a big problem even when others early on said it was going to just disappear by Easter.
Here's what we have to realize: while science & medicine aren't cut & dry, Fauci should not have made such statements, especially since we didn't know enough about COVID early on. Saying things like "there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to wear a mask", or telling Americans that there is nothing to worry about goes beyond being mistaken or mildly foolish ... especially somebody in his position. Of course, he wasn't the only one in the public spotlight who made similar blatantly incorrect remarks, but maybe, just maybe people would have taken the virus more seriously early on if these "experts" took it more seriously when the outbreak was happening in China.

Old 03-29-2021, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Here's what we have to realize: while science & medicine aren't cut & dry, Fauci should not have made such statements, especially since we didn't know enough about COVID early on. Saying things like "there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to wear a mask", or telling Americans that there is nothing to worry about goes beyond being mistaken or mildly foolish ... especially somebody in his position. Of course, he wasn't the only one in the public spotlight who made similar blatantly incorrect remarks, but maybe, just maybe people would have taken the virus more seriously early on if these "experts" took it more seriously when the outbreak was happening in China.
His exact words on March 6th were:
“There’s no reason to be walking around with a mask. When you’re in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better and it might even block a droplet, but it’s not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is. And, often, there are unintended consequences — people keep fiddling with the mask and they keep touching their face.”

We knew plenty about masks with a COVID strain. In fact, I was so outraged that I posted many times (in which I predict the mod flushed in a mass delete) specific studies that were done more than a decade ago showing the benefits of a quality mask.

So what he really meant to say was:
We will have near-zero PPE if there is a run on them. If everyone wants a quality N95, we will run out of supply in a few days. 300M+ Americans at one mask a day == about a BILLION masks usage in just a few days. Even now, 3M ramped up to about 2 Billion a year or about a week's worth of N95 mask supply JUST in the USA. That all said, I had my N95 stash early on and reused them to regain the static element of protection per the designer of the N95 mask. I never used a POS mask. If some guy in AZ researched papers on mask studies, obviously Fauci knew it better than anyone.

So yes, he bold-faced lied and I posted that our lovely Surgeon General was lying as well. In the end, people have been wearing semi-worthless cloth masks (some better than others).

Re: China. Frontline (PBS which can easily be streamed) did an informative expose on how China has been stalling, lying, and manipulating everything to do with COVID. It's very well documented. What a POS country. They were playing with fire. Watch it and you will get angry.

Old 03-29-2021, 10:16 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Re: China. Frontline (PBS which can easily be streamed) did an informative expose on how China has been stalling, lying, and manipulating everything to do with COVID. It's very well documented. What a POS country. They were playing with fire. Watch it and you will get angry.
As I said previously: don't get me started on China. It's pretty well known by now how the Chinese government made every attempt to cover up the COVID outbreak from the very beginning, which isn't surprising given their track record. In a nutshell, they've allowed themselves to be a piece of s**t country!

Old 03-30-2021, 05:44 AM

Quote:
His exact words on March 6th were:
“There’s no reason to be walking around with a mask. When you’re in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better and it might even block a droplet, but it’s not providing the perfect protection that people think that it is. And, often, there are unintended consequences — people keep fiddling with the mask and they keep touching their face.”

We knew plenty about masks with a COVID strain. In fact, I was so outraged that I posted many times (in which I predict the mod flushed in a mass delete) specific studies that were done more than a decade ago showing the benefits of a quality mask.

So what he really meant to say was:
We will have near-zero PPE if there is a run on them. If everyone wants a quality N95, we will run out of supply in a few days. 300M+ Americans at one mask a day == about a BILLION masks usage in just a few days. Even now, 3M ramped up to about 2 Billion a year or about a week's worth of N95 mask supply JUST in the USA. That all said, I had my N95 stash early on and reused them to regain the static element of protection per the designer of the N95 mask. I never used a POS mask. If some guy in AZ researched papers on mask studies, obviously Fauci knew it better than anyone.

So yes, he bold-faced lied and I posted that our lovely Surgeon General was lying as well. In the end, people have been wearing semi-worthless cloth masks (some better than others).

He was right. Whether he was right to lie about the masks to try to preserve them for health care workers can be debated (but not fairly for long). Telling the truth is not always the best public policy, like it or not.

Old 03-30-2021, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
He was right. Whether he was right to lie about the masks to try to preserve them for health care workers can be debated (but not fairly for long). Telling the truth is not always the best public policy, like it or not.
When you don't tell the truth or lie when it related to life and death specifically to public health policy, it makes people forever suspicious. So what you are saying is that it would be right for the government to lie to people and say "the vaccines are safe" when they might not be for everyone.

Speaking for myself, I didn't take anybody's word about vaccine safety because I learned that I couldn't. I spoke with a research customer of mine who studies genetic sequencing at Novavax. And I read everything that I could before I personally signed off on getting a shot. But I surely did not trust Fauci by default (who is a pretty good politician) simply because he told me so. It's taken me some time to trust him because of that lie.

A key problem re: to PPE was that multiple administrations didn't listen to the USA-manufactured PPE suppliers. They warned what will happen if a virus comes to town. And there were many other dropped PPE balls. Read https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...691_story.html

"We still have four like-new N95 manufacturing lines,” Bowen wrote that day in an email to top administrators in the Department of Health and Human Services. “Reactivating these machines would be very difficult and very expensive but could be achieved in a dire situation.”

But communications over several days with senior agency officials — including Robert Kad*lec, the assistant secretary for preparedness and emergency response — left Bowen with the clear impression that there was little immediate interest in his offer."

This is one of many dropped balls.

Old 03-30-2021, 06:34 AM

Quote:
When you don't tell the truth or lie when it related to life and death public health policy, it makes people forever suspicious. So what you are saying is that it would be o.k. for the government to lie to people and say "the vaccines are safe" when they might not be for everyone? What went on in my head is I cannot trust the government's words.

Speaking for myself, I didn't take anybody's word about vaccine safety. I spoke with a customer who studies genetic sequencing at Novavax plus reading everything I could before I personally signed off on it. I concluded that it was safe. But surely not because Fauci (who is a pretty good politician) told me so.

A key problem was that multiple administrations didn't listen to the USA-manufactured PPE suppliers. They warned what will happen if a virus comes to town. Hell, https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...691_story.html

"We still have four like-new N95 manufacturing lines,” Bowen wrote that day in an email to top administrators in the Department of Health and Human Services. “Reactivating these machines would be very difficult and very expensive but could be achieved in a dire situation.”

But communications over several days with senior agency officials — including Robert Kad*lec, the assistant secretary for preparedness and emergency response — left Bowen with the clear impression that there was little immediate interest in his offer."
There were many other dropped balls re: to PPE.
No. That is not what I am saying. It is more complicated than that. Things are not black and white; all choices are not binary. I know you understand that so I will leave it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area