Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2020, 05:04 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,208,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
It looks like everything I predicted is coming to pass, the virus was mostly a hoax to take away freedoms and the death rate is being inflated by reporting deaths by normal causes as wuhan covid deaths and the recovery rate for anyone that actually gets the virus has climbed to 99.5%. Also consider that 1/2 of the infected and the deaths are confined to 2 states NY and NJ.They should have been quarantining the sick not the healthy all along and the lock down should end immediately.
I think you were the guy who said you would much rather get the flu than COVID-19. Alrighty then.! But it didn't matter anyway because you had a relationship with a guy who died 2020 years ago. And now this "Wuhan" virus is mostly a hoax all designed to take away people's freedoms?

Call me paranoid, but are you located in Russia? Were you posting on Facebook this past presidential election?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 06:16 PM

6,783 posts, read 5,089,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I was talking with a customer who runs a private airport yesterday. It caters to people with jets. Obviously their clients have rather thick wallets. I asked how his business has been. I figured, what a great time to have your own jet. Fuel is down too. He said they paid $1.72 for jet fuel in early February. Now, it is currently $78 cents a gallon. So to me at least, there is no better time. Yet, he told me flights are down 90%!
Makes sense. What are they supposed to do at their destination? No restaurants open, no events happening, etc. Many businesses have cut or entirely eliminated face-to-face meetings.

I guess it's great for someone who just enjoys flying around for no reason!

Old 05-04-2020, 06:48 PM

656 posts, read 815,573 times
Go get a haircut this weekend. Go patronize a restaurant next week. Don't let Mother Nature crater our economy!

Old 05-04-2020, 07:17 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by More Rock View Post
Go get a haircut this weekend. Go patronize a restaurant next week. Don't let Mother Nature crater our economy!
I’ll hang back while the Guinea pigs run wild. What concerns me, is these seem to be the sort that lack hygiene and self-care to begin with. Most of the protesters seem chunky and rough looking. If they don’t drop dead, I may slowly emerge from my luxurious lair. You can support the economy without getting your hair and nails done and waiting in the slop line at Chili’s.

Old 05-04-2020, 07:31 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I’ll hang back while the Guinea pigs run wild. What concerns me, is these seem to be the sort that lack hygiene and self-care to begin with. Most of the protesters seem chunky and rough looking. If they don’t drop dead, I may slowly emerge from my luxurious lair. You can support the economy without getting your hair and nails done and waiting in the slop line at Chili’s.
Yup. Same here. I hope the restaurants continue with the take out as I have no interest in sitting in an enclosed air conditioned space with strangers whose health, travel and contact history I have no idea about.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:13 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,736,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by More Rock View Post
Nice gesture but equivalent to shoveling $%*t into the tide. The virus (and the attempts to halt the spread) has not cratered the economy, it has destroyed it.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:46 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
Quote:
Nice way to stereotype the pro business types as "lacking hygiene & self care". If you want to talk about chunky people who lack hygiene & self care, look no further than the "Native Americans" wallowing in their slop. Oh, but don't utter anything remotely disparaging about the American Indians without taking the risk of being scarred for life. Also, look at the nursing homes which are ripe with contamination & neglect. Take reservations & nursing homes out of the equation, and the afflicted rate would be even lower than what it is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Yup. Same here. I hope the restaurants continue with the take out as I have no interest in sitting in an enclosed air conditioned space with strangers whose health, travel and contact history I have no idea about.
Restaurants will continue with take out services like they did before all this nonsense. If you want to continue to hide in isolation, have at it. You can even construct your own underground air tight shelter if you wish, but there's no need to implement this paranoid mentality into forced restrictions on everybody else.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:50 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Nice way to stereotype the pro business types as "lacking hygiene & self care". If you want to talk about chunky people who lack hygiene & self care, look no further than the "Native Americans" wallowing in their slop. Oh, but don't utter anything remotely disparaging about the American Indians without taking the risk of being scarred for life. Also, look at the nursing homes which are ripe with contamination & neglect. Take reservations & nursing homes out of the equation, and the afflicted rate would be even lower than what it is now.
I was referring to the protesters. Take a look. They’re mostly fat and unkempt. It was just a candid observation based on the pictures posted from these events.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:58 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
Quote:
I was referring to the protesters. Take a look. They’re mostly fat and unkempt. It was just a candid observation based on the pictures posted from these events.
I'll have to agree here. Many of the protesters aren't exactly "G.Q." material, nor are they the brightest bulbs in the lamp. While I support them in principle, I don't like the way the protests are purely political, and even turn violent in many cases. It's perfectly fine to protest, but it can be done in a non partisan way, and without violence.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:14 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,104,825 times
Quote:
I think you (and Ponderosa) have the right idea. We can all argue until we're blue in the face about our nation's potentially feeble response, but what we can all likely agree on is that the government's response was a half measure when what was probably more prudent was a full measure (ode to Breaking Bad). The steady maintenance of 30,000 daily will turn into 200,000 per day by June per FEMA. What lulls some into a sense of comfort is that on its surface, we have this idea that we have peaked and it wasn't so bad. That's potentially an extremely dangerous viewpoint that we could look back on historically and understand just how dangerous it was. I hope it doesn't come to that but if FEMA's numbers are right, I think there's no other way.

If financially solvent, it's best to hang low. Hopefully UBI becomes a thing for those who aren't in such a position.

My uncle passed about 2 hours ago due to COVID-19 and his wife is on ventilation for the 3rd time. Both were in good physical health and both had been hospitalized for over a month. The weird part for those that aren't nervous about COVID is that my uncle was the one that remained in stable condition the entire time and it was his wife that was always on the brink. Then, out of literally nowhere, his lungs became so compromised and stiff that he wasn't responding to the ventilator. Imagining a peak of 200,000 daily incidents, some of which will evolve into just that, that's going to change some people for life. I worry for the consciences of those that are about to lure everyone back into the workplace for minimum wage, those that protest irresponsibly, and those who don't social distance and who will potentially sign their parent's death certificates and be left to wonder if it was at least in part because of their own choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area