Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2020, 04:55 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,163,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Independent futures trader. Terrible at programming, but my last boss loved to try and get me to find an anomalies in our executions (times, prices paid, etc.).
Now that makes sense. Your strength staring at numbers and your desire to mine data obviously helped with your vocation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 05:06 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
None of my NYC apartments had shared A/C. A common passive vent in the kitchen, but I doubt that was a spreader. That being said, every elevator button, every door to the trash shoot, the common rooms within the buildings (fitness, pool) even in lock down could prevent distancing. We also shouldn't forget the subway, still open, over 80 MTA deaths.
Close contact == inevitable problems. Like a senior nursing home where they are stacked together, obviously that doesn't help. Or the meatpacking plants that stand shoulder to shoulder. I saw that MTA statistic. The MTA must be a cesspool of germ transmission. With that stat, I wondered about flight attendants? We have a couple of friends that are still flying. It seems pretty low (all things considered). But modern jets have HEPA filters. Read https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabe.../#a695a9c45a03 Now the attendants are on the offense asking people not to fly for pleasure? I'm not sure what to think of that. https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabe.../#a695a9c45a03

Old 04-29-2020, 11:32 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Close contact == inevitable problems. Like a senior nursing home where they are stacked together, obviously that doesn't help. Or the meatpacking plants that stand shoulder to shoulder. I saw that MTA statistic. The MTA must be a cesspool of germ transmission. With that stat, I wondered about flight attendants? We have a couple of friends that are still flying. It seems pretty low (all things considered). But modern jets have HEPA filters. Read https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabe.../#a695a9c45a03 Now the attendants are on the offense asking people not to fly for pleasure? I'm not sure what to think of that. https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabe.../#a695a9c45a03

The TSA has a page comparing security checks on this date vs last year:
https://www.tsa.gov/coronavirus/passenger-throughput
Down about 95% ? It would be very interesting to see what would happen if the number of people jumped to say 20% of last year's numbers. Not sure I'd be very excited to push a drink cart.
At the same time, the Forbes article has the union pushing to stop travel, not sure how that will help the rank and file and or the airline stay afloat. Forced masks and a small bottle of Purell on every seat?

I heard a China based reporter saying that all the windows on her commuter bus are opened all the time now. She said it makes for an uncomfortable trip in the cold weather. Will air travel be forced to pump in more fresh air?

Old 04-29-2020, 01:03 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Arizona has now sunk to second to last in testing barely above Kansas. Why? Who knows. I suppose for the same reasons we come in last in many measures of state competence. The lack of testing ability should make Ducey wary of re-opening much. But it probably won't.

Old 04-29-2020, 02:42 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Arizona has now sunk to second to last in testing barely above Kansas. Why? Who knows. I suppose for the same reasons we come in last in many measures of state competence. The lack of testing ability should make Ducey wary of re-opening much. But it probably won't.
Are people asking for tests? Are the sick being denied tests? Are people not sick and therefore not looking to get tested? Testing is not why we shut down our economy and should not be the reason we stay closed.

Plenty of tests have been performed all over the country, and the world, to derive modeling projections (hell, we shut down the economy based on the garbage that came out of the IHME).
What might be more useful now is to better analyze (or at least make it available) the data surrounding the dead so that the vulnerable can take better care and we can get things running again (especially non-CV healthcare).

Old 04-29-2020, 03:13 PM

525 posts, read 539,540 times
Quote:
Are people asking for tests? Are the sick being denied tests? Are people not sick and therefore not looking to get tested? Testing is not why we shut down our economy and should not be the reason we stay closed.

Plenty of tests have been performed all over the country, and the world, to derive modeling projections (hell, we shut down the economy based on the garbage that came out of the IHME).
What might be more useful now is to better analyze (or at least make it available) the data surrounding the dead so that the vulnerable can take better care and we can get things running again (especially non-CV healthcare).
Yep, that has been my question all along. And if you are trying to test 20,000 people a week in AZ, that is never going to happen without testing people who don't have symptoms. And people who don't have symptoms see no need to be tested.

Old 04-29-2020, 03:17 PM

525 posts, read 539,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Plus the high percentage on & around reservations outweigh pretty much anything in & around Phoenix. Look at the map below as a good example. The counties shaded in purple have the greatest percentage of confirmed cases ... and many of those areas in the western U.S. are rural areas, including many tribal lands. The high affliction rate among "Native Americans" is why Navajo & Apache Counties are shaded in purple. Based on this alone, it seems that all of the Phoenix metro should reopen ASAP, but let the reservations stay on lockdown. What the hell is there to do on a reservation anyway?

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/us-map
They to congregate on the rez.

Old 04-29-2020, 03:30 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
Yep, that has been my question all along. And if you are trying to test 20,000 people a week in AZ, that is never going to happen without testing people who don't have symptoms. And people who don't have symptoms see no need to be tested.
Starts May 2.

https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2020/...zona-april-27/

Old 04-29-2020, 03:31 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
You're another one who somehow believes this myth. Does everybody in a single family home just stay inside all day? No, they go to shopping centers, restaurants, bars, movie theatres, hospitals, and other places where crowds gather & germs are spread ... and therefore, are just as likely to acquire COVID 19 (or any other virus). If living in a single family home stopped the spread, then suburban areas like Gilbert, Mesa, and Peoria should have few or no cases, and downtown Phoenix & Tempe should have the most cases. In reality, the top 3 zip codes in the metro with the most confirmed cases are:
85206 (Mesa, Gilbert) with 124
85382 (Peoria, Glendale) with 114
85224 (Chandler) with 106
I can't speak to the first two ZIP codes, but the one in Chandler is home to the Chandler hospital plus a lot of the impacted assisted living facilities (including the one that had reported 13 deaths a couple weeks ago). I have to assume a majority of the cases are due to the hospital and two assisted living facilities that got hammered. Drive South from there to my suburban ZIP, and we have like 35 cases for 35,000 people. Plus there's also the fact that even downtown Phoenix ZIPs aren't very high density, lots of single family detached houses, plus low population numbers in those ZIPs which wasn't accounted for in your "analysis"

Old 04-29-2020, 03:57 PM

586 posts, read 541,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
The idea is to get folks before they can spread the virus and then quarantine them. It's much more effective at stalling the spread rather than letting them spread it for days before showing symptoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area