Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2020, 08:16 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,281,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Yes, you'd think we would be more advanced but we have no vaccine and the methods used to treat this have been minimally successful. If you have a stronger immune system, you survive. If you don't, you die.

I don't support a shutdown of the economy to save a few lives. Sorry if that sounds callous but I've lived through all the viruses and contagious disease that's been around since the 50's. Living in fear is no way to live. Let nature thin the herd. Not everyone will die. Our species will go on to procreate more and more imbeciles.
It's not callous at all. It's a fact of life, and I agree 100%. The protectionists who pushed these shutdowns are causing more stress, more paranoia, and more destruction of the economy than any virus could do on its own. In this world, it's purely survival of the fittest. We've been hearing lately that more people likely have immunity to the virus than not. It's unfortunate for the ones who have gotten critically sick & died, but again, it's a rather miniscule number out of the many millions who haven't. Closing everything down & being afraid of life is NO solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2020, 08:29 PM

19,225 posts, read 16,733,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
It's not callous at all. It's a fact of life, and I agree 100%. The protectionists who pushed these shutdowns are causing more stress, more paranoia, and more destruction of the economy than any virus could do on its own. In this world, it's purely survival of the fittest. We've been hearing lately that more people likely have immunity to the virus than not. It's unfortunate for the ones who have gotten critically sick & died, but again, it's a rather miniscule number out of the many millions who haven't. Closing everything down & being afraid of life is NO solution.
I'm glad you understand my sentiments on it. When I say it's okay to thin the herd, I catch a lot of flack for it. Personally, I think today's culture is just too soft. Many don't have the resilience or stamina that it takes to get through life.

You're right. It is unfortunate that some have died but look how many have survived it and as you stated, have an immunity to it now. I used to laugh at the saying "survival of the fittest" but it's kinda true. Not only fit to survive the numerous diseases we have on earth but fit enough to make it through really hard times.

Life isn't easy even in the best of times. I wish more people would find their own strength and stop letting the government brainwash them into believing that they know what's best for us. We know what's best for us. This country didn't get to be this age and to be as strong as it is without strong people in it.

Okay, sorry for that last rant but this thing is really starting to get to me. Thanks again for understanding. I get chewed out a lot for standing my ground.

Old 05-02-2020, 08:54 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,285,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Quote:
I'm glad you understand my sentiments on it. When I say it's okay to thin the herd, I catch a lot of flack for it. Personally, I think today's culture is just too soft. Many don't have the resilience or stamina that it takes to get through life.

You're right. It is unfortunate that some have died but look how many have survived it and as you stated, have an immunity to it now. I used to laugh at the saying "survival of the fittest" but it's kinda true. Not only fit to survive the numerous diseases we have on earth but fit enough to make it through really hard times.

Life isn't easy even in the best of times. I wish more people would find their own strength and stop letting the government brainwash them into believing that they know what's best for us. We know what's best for us. This country didn't get to be this age and to be as strong as it is without strong people in it.

Okay, sorry for that last rant but this thing is really starting to get to me. Thanks again for understanding. I get chewed out a lot for standing my ground.
I agree, let's start with your parents though, not mine.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I agree, let's start with your parents though, not mine.
Mine are already gone. Married 70 years and died 90 days apart back in 2008. Frankly, I'm happy they aren't here to go through this madness. They did it once during the Great Depression. Learned lots of good lessons from them about strength and endurance. I hope you and your family stay well. Don't take your health for granted. It's more precious than money.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Mine are already gone.
Well I guess I can see why it's such an easy decision for you to kill off the weak...

Old 05-02-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Well I guess I can see why it's such an easy decision for you to kill off the weak...
You must be confused. It's not my decision to make.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
You must be confused. It's not my decision to make.
My first response was to a post where you said it's OK to thin the herd. Did you decide that it was ok or not?

Old 05-02-2020, 09:31 PM

Quote:
My first response was to a post where you said it's OK to thin the herd. Did you decide that it was ok or not?
I didn't change my decision on anything, asufan. Thinning the herd is an old saying and probably one of which you're not familiar. The fact is, death and disease is a part of life. Those that don't die now will die later. I don't mean for that to sound crass or insensitive. It's just life. But, I will say this.

When you are a leader of a country or state or city, you have certain responsibilities to your constituents. That does not include jeopardizing their livelihoods. My feeling (about this) is businesses didn't need to be shut down. If people who are afraid wanted to stay home, then stay home. Don't go out in public if they feel they might get ill. Let business run, especially the small business owner who relies on that income to stay in their home and feed their family. What these politicians are doing now is insane. They say they want to protect people but, in fact, they are killing people. Not physically killing them but all those little mom and pop shops are never going to recover, if they even open their doors again.

I certainly don't want people to die but as I said before, death is a part of life and whether people die from the CV or some other illness that takes them, you can't stop it. If you're one those who manage to contract the virus and survive, then kudos and congrats on winning the battle.

You really need to take a breath. I'm not wishing death on anyone. Quite the opposite. I wish them a good life. A happy life. A life that, when death is imminent, they can look back and say I had a good one. Please don't take this so personally.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I didn't change my decision on anything, asufan. Thinning the herd is an old saying and probably one of which you're not familiar. The fact is, death and disease is a part of life. Those that don't die now will die later. I don't mean for that to sound crass or insensitive. It's just life. But, I will say this.

When you are a leader of a country or state or city, you have certain responsibilities to your constituents. That does not include jeopardizing their livelihoods. My feeling (about this) is businesses didn't need to be shut down. If people who are afraid wanted to stay home, then stay home. Don't go out in public if they feel they might get ill. Let business run, especially the small business owner who relies on that income to stay in their home and feed their family. What these politicians are doing now is insane. They say they want to protect people but, in fact, they are killing people. Not physically killing them but all those little mom and pop shops are never going to recover, if they even open their doors again.

I certainly don't want people to die but as I said before, death is a part of life and whether people die from the CV or some other illness that takes them, you can't stop it. If you're one those who manage to contract the virus and survive, then kudos and congrats on winning the battle.

You really need to take a breath. I'm not wishing death on anyone. Quite the opposite. I wish them a good life. A happy life. A life that, when death is imminent, they can look back and say I had a good one. Please don't take this so personally.
I don't think I'm the one that needs to take a breath. I'm not the one writing paragraph after paragraph trying to justify a misguided view. I would love for my parents to eek out 10 more years to watch my youngest son graduate High School, but as long as hair salons open in a timely manner WGAS?

Old 05-02-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I don't think I'm the one that needs to take a breath. I'm not the one writing paragraph after paragraph trying to justify a misguided view. I would love for my parents to eek out 10 more years to watch my youngest son graduate High School, but as long as hair salons open in a timely manner WGAS?
Yeah, that's something I have to work on. I tend to write too much. I'll work on that. Thanks for the tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area