Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2020, 03:30 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
well, last time I checked, wearing a mask in this state was VOLUNTARY, NOT MANDATORY,; your complete lack of understanding is in the RULE OF LAW here..

When they pass a law mandating mask wear, let us all know..until then, you live your life the way YOU want to, and others will live their lives the way THEY want to..
Nowhere did anyone suggest that it is law. We were discussing stores’ policies. Stores don’t create laws.

Laws shouldn’t be needed to dictate common sense and courtesy. Most don’t want additional laws, but again, you’ve proven why restrictions must be mandated. People largely only care about themselves. This selfish mentality helps no one, not even the selfish. That’s the irony with this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 04:22 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
well, last time I checked, wearing a mask in this state was VOLUNTARY, NOT MANDATORY,; your complete lack of understanding is in the RULE OF LAW here..

When they pass a law mandating mask wear, let us all know..until then, you live your life the way YOU want to, and others will live their lives the way THEY want to..
Absolutely! Thankfully, this isn't Los Angeles where masks are required when going outside for anything. Phoenix's Mayor would probably require them as well, but she'd likely be met with backlash from citizens and the state government. With this said, there are some establishments that require mask wearing (certain doctors offices and salons to name two). Those who refuse to wear masks at these places are foolish because it's a violation of the business policy, and it could easily result in refusal of service & possibly being blacklisted ... even though most of the masks provide a false sense of security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
For sure. Read the hamster study. It helps but doesn't prevent. I'm getting some N95 masks. That should help my odds. Because you cannot count on the brainpower of the general public. All of those standardized tests that people failed during K-12 is starting to show it's ugly head. I'm concluding that >50% of the people are just plain stupid. No wonder why they need $1200 from the government to survive. Honestly, we need to let nature take its course.
Here's what I saw at a Fry's store last night: a man and woman with 3 small kids in tow were wearing flimsy homemade masks. The kids were wearing nothing. The man sneezed inside his "mask" about 6 times, and one of his lovely children was coughing with his mouth wide open. The minute I saw this, I ducked into the next aisle. This certainly isn't the first time I've witnessed something like this, which is further proof of largely the the lowest common denominator doing the most procreating.

With this alone, I'm much more likely to agree that there are a large number of stupids ... however, perhaps take a look at some your grammar before criticizing others for failing the grade school basics. BTW, the $1,200 "stimulus" was never meant for survival. It was mostly just an added perk to an already enormously expensive piece of federal legislation. When I saw the report about what some of this "survival" money was spent on, I was pretty shocked at first, but then when people get FREE checks courtesy of Uncle Sam, it's really not too hard to believe.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/15/stimul...tripper-poles/

Old 05-23-2020, 04:56 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
For sure. Read the hamster study. It helps but doesn't prevent. I'm getting some N95 masks. That should help my odds. Because you cannot count on the brainpower of the general public. All of those standardized tests that people failed during K-12 is starting to show it's ugly head. I'm concluding that >50% of the people are just plain stupid. No wonder why they need $1200 from the government to survive. Honestly, we need to let nature take its course.
Just saw an actress on Twit touting the effectiveness of her crocheted mask.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:54 PM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Absolutely! Thankfully, this isn't Los Angeles where masks are required when going outside for anything. Phoenix's Mayor would probably require them as well, but she'd likely be met with backlash from citizens and the state government. With this said, there are some establishments that require mask wearing (certain doctors offices and salons to name two). Those who refuse to wear masks at these places are foolish because it's a violation of the business policy, and it could easily result in refusal of service & possibly being blacklisted ... even though most of the masks provide a false sense of security.

Here's what I saw at a Fry's store last night: a man and woman with 3 small kids in tow were wearing flimsy homemade masks. The kids were wearing nothing. The man sneezed inside his "mask" about 6 times, and one of his lovely children was coughing with his mouth wide open. The minute I saw this, I ducked into the next aisle. This certainly isn't the first time I've witnessed something like this, which is further proof of largely the the lowest common denominator doing the most procreating.

With this alone, I'm much more likely to agree that there are a large number of stupids ... however, perhaps take a look at some your grammar before criticizing others for failing the grade school basics. BTW, the $1,200 "stimulus" was never meant for survival. It was mostly just an added perk to an already enormously expensive piece of federal legislation. When I saw the report about what some of this "survival" money was spent on, I was pretty shocked at first, but then when people get FREE checks courtesy of Uncle Sam, it's really not too hard to believe.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/15/stimul...tripper-poles/
Re: my grammar. Guilty as charged. The way I catch my errors is after a long delay. Because I re-read my flawed sentences and often miss my errors.

A hint: proof your own grammar before you decide to critique. i.e. "doctors" should be doctors', "some your grammar" should be some of your grammar, and largely the the lowest common denominator doing the most procreating" etc has a few problems including double the the. I stopped at three errors.

I always tested in the top percentile with math and science standardized tests. Even with parents who let us raise ourselves. Because of it, composition classes were never my strength.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 05-23-2020 at 06:05 PM..

Old 05-24-2020, 10:55 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
well, last time i checked, wearing a mask in this state was voluntary, not mandatory,; your complete lack of understanding is in the rule of law here..

When they pass a law mandating mask wear, let us all know..until then, you live your life the way you want to, and others will live their lives the way they want to..
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Nowhere did anyone suggest that it is law. We were discussing stores’ policies. Stores don’t create laws.

Laws shouldn’t be needed to dictate common sense and courtesy. Most don’t want additional laws, but again, you’ve proven why restrictions must be mandated. People largely only care about themselves. This selfish mentality helps no one, not even the selfish. That’s the irony with this situation.
Not so well-written, but the point is what some of us have been trying to get across. It’s simply about decency and thinking about others. The selfishness needs to end.

Old 05-24-2020, 11:14 AM

13,739 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Unfortunately, many people are too self-absorbed to think about anyone but themselves. They blast their music while seated on a public park bench. They won't clean their front lawn. They don't teach their kids good manners. They blame everyone but themselves for their problems. The list goes on and on.

Now, if a store wants to mandate customers wear a mask fine but I don't think the government should be involved.

My wife and I use common sense and I don't think we'll be flying, going to a church, a sports event or concert anytime soon. But I don't think there's much of a risk catching the virus while shopping or meeting with renters. I keep my distance and don't shake hands.

Most likely next winter we'll be reading about a "second wave" but I doubt we'll experience another shutdown like the last two months regardless who wins in Nov.

Old 05-24-2020, 11:23 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Today’s NYT piece on this is pretty powerful and highlights the rather selfish take that the mask wearing is for the benefit of the wearer and not the public.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...gtype=Homepage

I’m reminded of a common complaint I see about the plexi glass shields at the grocery store not protecting the customers when those covers are meant to protect the clerks.

I also think people should be mindful of the COVID related blood clots that are being found in autopsied people.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Today’s NYT piece on this is pretty powerful and highlights the rather selfish take that the mask wearing is for the benefit of the wearer and not the public.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...gtype=Homepage

I’m reminded of a common complaint I see about the plexi glass shields at the grocery store not protecting the customers when those covers are meant to protect the clerks.

I also think people should be mindful of the COVID related blood clots that are being found in autopsied people.

Really rich coming from the NYT (especially to highlight all the 80 and 90 year olds). You know what else kills thousands besides not wearing masks? Stuffing CV positive people back in nursing homes and never shutting down the sewer of a subway.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:29 PM

13,739 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Really rich coming from the NYT (especially to highlight all the 80 and 90 year olds). You know what else kills thousands besides not wearing masks? Stuffing CV positive people back in nursing homes and never shutting down the sewer of a subway.
The SFGate reported when the lock-down started in San Francisco public transportation (Muni) was allowed to operate.

What's the point of social distancing if popular routes like the #38 and #28 bus line which are often packed still run?

Old 05-24-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
The SFGate reported when the lock-down started in San Francisco public transportation (Muni) was allowed to operate.

What's the point of social distancing if popular routes like the #38 and #28 bus line which are often packed still run?

Maybe we're looking at it the wrong way? Maybe this has been the (stealth) attempt at herd immunity all along?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area