Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2020, 10:03 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,887,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Maricopa County Board, concerned that some cities were making masks optional voted tonight to make them mandatory county wide. That's pretty impressive when you consider it affects nearly 5 million people and 80% of Arizona's population. Anyway, good for them.
That's ridiculous.

So if I'm in a city which didn't make it mandatory but the county did, which one rules?

PS: I note that the board is 4-1 Republican. Let this put to rest the old fallacy that Republicans are for personal responsibility and less government. (This is one of a few thousand reasons I'm a registered Libertarian!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 10:08 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,669,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
That's ridiculous.

So if I'm in a city which didn't make it mandatory but the county did, which one rules?

PS: I note that the board is 4-1 Republican. Let this put to rest the old fallacy that Republicans are for personal responsibility and less government. (This is one of a few thousand reasons I'm a registered Libertarian!)
It’s spelled out in the order very clearly. The county’s order is countywide the city can strengthen.

Public health shouldn’t be at all political.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:21 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,386,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDistinguishedGentleman View Post
The vast majority of people are asymptomatic or have mild symptoms.

As I said previously, most of us will be okay.
You're willing to gamble your life on being the vast majority?

The vast majority won't be ok if they die of routine accidents / diseases because there is no medical capacity to treat them.

If you fall and break your leg, no operating room to help you.

If you get an infection which requires hospitalization, no hospital bed to help you.

If you get diagnosed with early cancer, no facility / resources to treat you.

Routine diseases / accidents that are no cause for concern now could be death sentences with lack of medical capacity.

Even if you don't get coronavirus, otherwise minor health issues could become major life threatening issues that end your life because the hospitals and medical facilities are overwhelmed.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:20 PM

566 posts, read 575,530 times
Quote:
The vast majority of people are asymptomatic or have mild symptoms.

As I said previously, most of us will be okay.

Hmm.... well I currently know 8 people in Phoenix who are sick. None are asymptomatic (unless my husband is, we haven't gotten his test back yet). All of them are miserable and have been for the last 8-9 days plus. One is doing really bad at home and we're hoping he'll turn the corner soon and not need to be hospitalized. One has been in the hospital for the last 3 weeks, is on a ventilator and it's not looking good.

A few months ago I knew a total of about 30 friends and family who had it in the NYC metro area. One was asymptomatic. The rest were miserably ill for weeks, a few were hospitalized.

5 friends of mine lost their parents. One friend's dad lost 13 of his friends in a 6 week time span. A school I am connected with through work saw 113 students lose one or both of their parents.

So... I have no need of the media coverage to tell me this is bad. Also only one person of the 38 people I personally know who have been sick could be classified as considering it mild/asymptomatic.

Old 06-20-2020, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
Hmm.... well I currently know 8 people in Phoenix who are sick. None are asymptomatic (unless my husband is, we haven't gotten his test back yet). All of them are miserable and have been for the last 8-9 days plus. One is doing really bad at home and we're hoping he'll turn the corner soon and not need to be hospitalized. One has been in the hospital for the last 3 weeks, is on a ventilator and it's not looking good.

A few months ago I knew a total of about 30 friends and family who had it in the NYC metro area. One was asymptomatic. The rest were miserably ill for weeks, a few were hospitalized.

5 friends of mine lost their parents. One friend's dad lost 13 of his friends in a 6 week time span. A school I am connected with through work saw 113 students lose one or both of their parents.

So... I have no need of the media coverage to tell me this is bad. Also only one person of the 38 people I personally know who have been sick could be classified as considering it mild/asymptomatic.
Getting sick is no fun, even if it's mild. I got a migraine the other day from the heat while dealing with a broken AC, felt awful.

Those with even mild symptoms might be miserable. I hope everyone recovers and gets healthy soon.

Old 06-20-2020, 02:45 AM

424 posts, read 237,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
You're willing to gamble your life on being the vast majority?
Literally, 99% of current active infections are classified as mild.

Quote:
Am I willing to bet that I will be in this 99% as opposed to the 1% that has a serious infection or dies? Yes, I am.

The vast majority won't be ok if they die of routine accidents / diseases because there is no medical capacity to treat them.

If you fall and break your leg, no operating room to help you.

If you get an infection which requires hospitalization, no hospital bed to help you.

If you get diagnosed with early cancer, no facility / resources to treat you.

Routine diseases / accidents that are no cause for concern now could be death sentences with lack of medical capacity.

Even if you don't get coronavirus, otherwise minor health issues could become major life threatening issues that end your life because the hospitals and medical facilities are overwhelmed.
That's exactly it. The sooner we allow this to spread, the sooner it will be over. Then hospitals will clear up for other issues.

Besides, it's my understanding that hospitals have dedicated coronavirus floors. They don't just stop treating all other conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post

It seems like you either have the unluckiest group of friends in the world....or you're exaggerating. As mentioned above, what you're saying is statistically unlikely (bordering on impossible).

I'm from NYC originally and have family and friends back there. The people that died all had serious pre-existing conditions that, truthfully, probably would have resulted in their deaths (in one way or another) within the next few years even if CV didn't come along.

All others had mild symptoms.

Are the mild symptoms unpleasant? Sure. But they got through it.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:52 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,208,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Humans tend to think in linear terms, as that's how most of life works. 24 hours in a day, 7 days in a week. So many $ per paycheck, etc. All linear. Exponential growth is a different beast, and it's not intuitive to humans.

When our kids were little we did a math exercise using a Monopoly board and a jar of coins. I put a penny at the "Go" square where play begins, and explained that we're going to double the amount of money at each spot on the board. Then I asked them to guess how much would be in the pile of coins at the jail (ten moves later). We started making stacks of coins... 2 cents, 4 cents, 8 cents, etc. Before we reached the jail they agreed to writing the dollar amounts on sticky notes in lieu of making large piles of coins. And of course their guesses were woefully short of the mark. Then I asked them to guess how much money would be placed after another ten moves, at Free Parking. Again, their guesses were way too low, and at this point their eyes were starting to get really big. Repeat the process for the next two corners to make it all the way around the board. It was quite fun.

The number of COIVD cases is growing exponentially. Of course we don't how long it will run, nor how many more doublings in cases we will witness.
I love your parenting style. We used a similar approach. Like having our kids calculate car stopping distances (How much distance you cover at different speeds) and figuring out the kinetic energy at different rates. I can also easily see in your posts that you have a logical and technical mind. So what sort of engineer are you? EE, CE, ME? Lol

I do see ASUfan’s reasoning. But an exponential growth in hospitalizations will mean frying up our PPE... FAST!

Old 06-20-2020, 08:24 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,258,447 times
I live half the year in Az and half the year in Colorado. Until recently and in Colorado, the two public places I go to (grocery and hardware stores) were very good about everyone wearing masks. Colorado infection rate was low. Recently we had the protests and Ive noticed one grocery store in Woodland Park CO were the young folks and what I perceive to be those who closely support our president not wearing masks. And.. Colorado has had an uptick recently in the infection rate. Denver stores had been very good about almost everyone wearing mask in the stores.

Arizona and Colorado are close to each other, both tend to be low humidity, Colorado is significantly cooler and on average, higher elevation. Ive been comparing the two just using the google data which of course wont be completely accurate but lets assume the errors are similar between the google data for Az and CO.

Here are the two google plots of daily new cases..

Colorado https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...YTXD3oQ4dUDCAw

Arizona https://www.google.com/search?q=ariz...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Just looking at the most recent numbers in the two plots, CO has daily new cases of around 300 and with a population of 5.76 million, that is around 52 new daily cases per million people.

Arizona looks like the latest daily number is around 3400 and with a population of 7.2 million, that is approx 472 new daily cases per million people.

Yikes.. Arizona has over NINE times the daily new cases per population compared to Colorado. Az has a disturbing upward trend. Why is this.. both Colarado and Az had the recent demonstrations. I would guess only 80 percent of the protesters in Co were wearing masks.

Saw this quote in another thread about someone wanting to move to Az.. The same folks will be the most upset if new restrictions get put in place that force common sense instead of people just being responsible.

Quote:
If you see someone arrested in a few days for refusing to wear a mask, it'll probably be this Libertarian!

Old 06-20-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Literally, 99% of current active infections are classified as mild.

That's exactly it. The sooner we allow this to spread, the sooner it will be over. Then hospitals will clear up for other issues.

Besides, it's my understanding that hospitals have dedicated coronavirus floors. They don't just stop treating all other conditions.

You'd be wrong about the hospitals being cleared up for other issues. There is no cure right now, there is no vaccine right now, it's unknown how many will suffer lifelong horrible symptoms due to this virus.

The ones who would get significantly affected would be the medical staff, and long term medical capacity would decline and suffer as more senior and experienced medical staff die or injured sufficiently to not work at the same level or retire from medical work.

Not an experiment I'd want to undertake willingly. We have the means to minimize the spread to stretch out the curve, like wearing masks. Instead of overloading the hospitals by trying to increase the infection as much as possible, let the medicine catch up with more effective treatments, vaccines, etc.

Just be a damn grown up and do the sensible thing, wear a damn mask and social distance when possible.

We haven't eradicated the common cold, nor the regular flu...it's unlikely we're going to eradicate this thing just with herd immunity. For the sake of the weak and vulnerable like the older population, just try to minimize the spread of this thing.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:52 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,736,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
I live half the year in Az and half the year in Colorado. Until recently and in Colorado, the two public places I go to (grocery and hardware stores) were very good about everyone wearing masks. Colorado infection rate was low. Recently we had the protests and Ive noticed one grocery store in Woodland Park CO were the young folks and what I perceive to be those who closely support our president not wearing masks. And.. Colorado has had an uptick recently in the infection rate. Denver stores had been very good about almost everyone wearing mask in the stores.

Arizona and Colorado are close to each other, both tend to be low humidity, Colorado is significantly cooler and on average, higher elevation. Ive been comparing the two just using the google data which of course wont be completely accurate but lets assume the errors are similar between the google data for Az and CO.

Here are the two google plots of daily new cases..

Colorado https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...YTXD3oQ4dUDCAw

Arizona https://www.google.com/search?q=ariz...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Just looking at the most recent numbers in the two plots, CO has daily new cases of around 300 and with a population of 5.76 million, that is around 52 new daily cases per million people.

Arizona looks like the latest daily number is around 3400 and with a population of 7.2 million, that is approx 472 new daily cases per million people.

Yikes.. Arizona has over NINE times the daily new cases per population compared to Colorado. Az has a disturbing upward trend. Why is this.. both Colarado and Az had the recent demonstrations. I would guess only 80 percent of the protesters in Co were wearing masks.

Saw this quote in another thread about someone wanting to move to Az.. The same folks will be the most upset if new restrictions get put in place that force common sense instead of people just being responsible.

Interesting points. Especially the mention of protests.

Part of our upward trend is also that we are seeing big numbers from small places like Yuma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area