Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2020, 10:23 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,052,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Hundreds are waiting in line for multiple hours. https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ix/5370217002/ The mayor of PHX begged FEMA for help. FEMA told her to pound sand because they are no longer in the testing business https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/05/w...s-updates.html .
Extremely poor management continues, both at the state level and federal level.

I know someone in the U.K. who got tested recently. No appointment, no waiting in line, results back in two days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 11:25 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,724,866 times
Quote:
I always appreciate your data mining skills. I haven't looked at the COVID growth rate to see what is happening between PHX metro and southern CA. What did you learn after you normalized the population?

While the mutated D614G COVID variant has proved more infectious in the lab and probably resulting in more transmission in spots like Houston (see https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...t-15386157.php), I have not observed any data on what they are finding in AZ. I've looked and have come up empty.
Not at all scientific but I started watching LA county when I saw cases here in Yuma and Pima on the rise.
Since then, LA county is way ahead of all CA counties in cases (they are redoing how they count so it's been off for a few days) with 107k. The number 2 spot (just over 20k) seems to change often but is usually one of the other 10 southern counties.
As Yuma got hit, I noticed Imperial, right across the border, getting hit to the point where a stay at home was issued over a week ago (don't know if it's been lifted yet).

If you look at a map by county (https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/us-map), and hover over AZ/CA from east to west or west to east and show just these 8 infected counties: Pima, Maricopa, Yuma, Imperial, SD, Riverside, Orange and LA, we see a stretch of infection that if it were a state, it'd be pretty scary.
I know there's a per capita issue and an enormous overall population difference but I'm just looking at what appears to be a CV pipeline running along this general area.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:49 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Which articles. Realize, the decision has been made. Things are opening. Again, (sorry Ponderosa) more like Sweden.
Sweden's infection rate is now right up there near ours. Hopefully this link works.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-06-2020, 02:14 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Sweden's infection rate is now right up there near ours. Hopefully this link works.
I've been keeping up on how they are doing. As of 3 weeks ago, about 20% of the country has the antibodies. It could be 30% now?? Here in the States, I cannot imagine we are even at a few percent of exposure. But of course, we don't test for that so no one knows.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:38 PM

24,458 posts, read 25,995,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
What are you talking about? California is one of the harder hit states recently, so it seems apparent that this back & forth shuffle (shutting down, opening, and shutting down again) isn't making that much of a difference. If anything, it's making things worse, especially when you consider how devastating it has been on the economic front. Unemployment is up, profits are down, and small businesses are taking the biggest hit. Social distancing, yes. Masks, yes. Stopping and/or restricting commerce? Absolutely not!

The same WHO that proclaimed it's unnecessary for healthy people to wear masks in the pandemic???
Yep, this is one of those things in life you learn. Kinda like it hurts when you hit your finger with a hammer, you learn not to do ir again.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:49 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
I've been keeping up on how they are doing. As of 3 weeks ago, about 20% of the country has the antibodies. It could be 30% now?? Here in the States, I cannot imagine we are even at a few percent of exposure. But of course, we don't test for that so no one knows.
What is your source for that? The government reports have around 8% for Stockholm which is the highest rate in the country as one might expect. In AZ, serology testing has gradually increased over the last several weeks to 3.5% positive. The economic and human cost of that paltry achievement (here and there) has been enormous and is getting worse.

Old 07-06-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
What is your source for that? The government reports have around 8% for Stockholm which is the highest rate in the country as one might expect. In AZ, serology testing has gradually increased over the last several weeks to 3.5% positive. The economic and human cost of that paltry achievement (here and there) has been enormous and is getting worse.
Back in May, Anders Tegnell (the state epidemiologist) said "We aren't at seven percent [infection rate in Stockholm] now (mid May). It was seven percent around week 15, so that is quite a long time ago. These people were immune in week 18 [the week ending May 3rd], that means they fell ill at some point in week 14 or 15. We are somewhere around 20 percent plus in Stockholm now (which was mid May)," Tegnell told journalists at the press conference.
read https://www.thelocal.se/20200520/her...-tests-tell-us

Old 07-06-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Back in May, Anders Tegnell (the state epidemiologist) said "We aren't at seven percent [infection rate in Stockholm] now (mid May). It was seven percent around week 15, so that is quite a long time ago. These people were immune in week 18 [the week ending May 3rd], that means they fell ill at some point in week 14 or 15. We are somewhere around 20 percent plus in Stockholm now (which was mid May)," Tegnell told journalists at the press conference.
read https://www.thelocal.se/20200520/her...-tests-tell-us
He subsequently admitted he was wrong as was the whole concept. I haven't seen anything recent and am pretty sure he would be bragging about it had it been successful. In reality, Sweden has one of the world's worst death rates (about the same as Italy which has a much older population) AND their economy is in the dumper. Much of Europe handled it much better at least at this point. Of course, no nation botched the response like the US did. We are exceptional.

Old 07-06-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
He subsequently admitted he was wrong as was the whole concept. I haven't seen anything recent and am pretty sure he would be bragging about it had it been successful. In reality, Sweden has one of the world's worst death rates (about the same as Italy which has a much older population) AND their economy is in the dumper. Much of Europe handled it much better at least at this point. Of course, no nation botched the response like the US did. We are exceptional.
I didn't hear that he admitted that he botched it. I'm not doubting that things are not looking good, but rather that he would admit it. In fact, do you think this sound like someone that we know in our country?

"But Tegnell objected to Kluge's warning (of a massive increase in cases), saying that WHO officials were misinterpreting Sweden's epidemiological data. In Tegnell's view, the rise in new cases is due to a recent bump in testing. He added that Sweden is seeing a relatively low number of admissions to intensive care units, along with a decline in COVID-19 deaths." from https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...-total-mistake

Old 07-06-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I didn't hear that he admitted that he botched it. I'm not doubting that things are not looking good, but rather that he would admit it. In fact, do you think this sound like someone that we know in our country?

"But Tegnell objected to Kluge's warning (of a massive increase in cases), saying that WHO officials were misinterpreting Sweden's epidemiological data. In Tegnell's view, the rise in new cases is due to a recent bump in testing. He added that Sweden is seeing a relatively low number of admissions to intensive care units, along with a decline in COVID-19 deaths." from https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...-total-mistake
COVID killed the low hanging fruit (old people in congregate settings). Death rates are down everywhere. I hope they stay that way, but it depends on the millions of vulnerable who survived the spring to keep protecting themselves. Looking around, I see a lot of fat old people running around, many without masks, going to restaurants, etc. It may just be a matter of time until this mid-hanging fruit is plucked.

I saw today that the modal age of the cases being found in Florida is 21! AZ doesn't give very detailed numbers, but from what I am hearing from the "inside" the age of the patients now is much younger. They get large amounts of oxygen for a few days and then go home, rather miserable but alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area