Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2021, 03:58 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,163,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
From a microbiology standpoint, if you are vaccinated, it is actually in your best interest to catch COVID while the shot is somewhat effective. We are already seeing breakthrough infections and with future mutations that will be more likely. The shot is still based on the Alpha variant. IF you catch a newest variant your body will adapt it's current antibodies.

Long haul COVID is caused by inflammation and/or blood clots. If you catch the virus, aspirin, vit D and Zinc go a LONG way in preventing long haul Covid.
Read https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0816125717.htm Notice they said it "may" be caused by clotting? Basically, they need to study it more. I take a baby aspirin per day as well as Vit D. Zinc is in my daily multivitamin. I'm still not feeling comfortable with taking those three items. But it's good to know. Doc's have access to a lot more discussions on the topic. One thing is for sure, this COVID 19 has all hands on deck. So in a year or two, we will know a lot more. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to more data on the booster shot. And I think I am going to cancel my flight to MN for a 300 person wedding next month. :hand: Lot's of people in their 20's will be there and (I assume) many will be unvaxed. Though based on the data, I like my Moderna pick. Waiting to see how the data looks on the booster in the coming weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
So given you fitness level, vax status and probable exposure, don't you think that's where we're going with this?
In other words, get vaxed, make sure you're exercising and your diet is healthy and maybe you'll be able to avoid long haul covid?
If we set aside covid for a sec, one of the biggest problems in this whole thing is that people are in really crappy shape to begin with but are deluded into thinking they're health and can "take it."
Highlighting your point: Read https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n623
"The report analysed mortality data from Johns Hopkins University and the WHO Global Health Observatory data on obesity.

Of the 2.5 million covid-19 deaths reported by the end of February 2021, 2.2 million were in countries where over half the population is classified as overweight—defined as a body mass index above 25."

I also remember someone saying that this was genetic (Asian countries have lower death rates). No. Asian countries are not as fat.

"Tim Lobstein, the report’s author, said: “We now know that an overweight population is the next pandemic waiting to happen. Look at countries like Japan and South Korea where they have very low levels of covid-19 deaths as well as very low levels of adult obesity. They have prioritised public health across a range of measures, including population weight, and it has paid off in the pandemic.”

Old 09-21-2021, 04:39 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Read https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0816125717.htm Notice they said it "may" be caused by clotting? Basically, they need to study it more. I take a baby aspirin per day as well as Vit D. Zinc is in my daily multivitamin. I'm still not feeling comfortable with taking those three items. But it's good to know. Doc's have access to a lot more discussions on the topic. One thing is for sure, this COVID 19 has all hands on deck. So in a year or two, we will know a lot more. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to more data on the booster shot. And I think I am going to cancel my flight to MN for a 300 person wedding next month. :hand: Lot's of people in their 20's will be there and (I assume) many will be unvaxed. Though based on the data, I like my Moderna pick. Waiting to see how the data looks on the booster in the coming weeks.
It will be years before everything is figured out. The final reports on SARS, a close relative, were still coming out in 2017, almost 15 years after. And they still are not sure how it just mutated itself out of existence.

Unfortunately COVID is what some in the science community like to call a Darwin virus, it does have the ability to kill off an entire family tree, regardless of health and age.

Given your health regimen and understanding, I would venture to say you would make it out ok, but you never know if you will lose the genetic lottery. Instead of passing out dollars in 2020, we should have been mailing masks and vitamins, it would have made a big difference in my opinion.

Getting and recovering from COVID for everyone in my household was like removing a huge gorilla from my back, it reduced a lot of anxiety. If I had not caught it and had not had any biologically close family members with experience, I would still be terrified.

Old 09-21-2021, 05:14 PM

501 posts, read 359,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Yes. Your physical shape has a massive amount to do with pretty much anything health-related. It's not like I didn't realize that 50 pounds heavier. I needed another motivator. lol

That's the verdict (in bold). I've been looking for the data and no one has answered that question for me. Fauci suggested he "suspects" it to be true. And another (non-peer-reviewed) data set said that it only cuts long-haul COVID in 1/2 https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...-term-symptoms .

Still, you can be young, thin, and in INCREDIBLE shape... And even be vaccinated and semi-screwed https://sports.yahoo.com/olympic-gol...89tnT9Y9aZTXCe Albeit she is a severe outlier.

But you cannot stop driving because you might get hurt in an accident. And without question, this whole COVID topic has been overblown.
We don't believe you .

Signed the 676,000 dead Americans

Old 09-22-2021, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada2012 View Post
We don't believe you .

Signed the 676,000 dead Americans
The death of 0.2% of mostly unhealthy Americans is tragic. Many who passed already had one leg in the ground and were on their way out. So IMO, 24-7 coverage makes it overblown (yet still serious). Meaning, it can be a serious problem and still overblown.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 09-22-2021 at 06:48 AM..

Old 09-22-2021, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
It will be years before everything is figured out. The final reports on SARS, a close relative, were still coming out in 2017, almost 15 years after. And they still are not sure how it just mutated itself out of existence.

Unfortunately COVID is what some in the science community like to call a Darwin virus, it does have the ability to kill off an entire family tree, regardless of health and age.

Given your health regimen and understanding, I would venture to say you would make it out ok, but you never know if you will lose the genetic lottery. Instead of passing out dollars in 2020, we should have been mailing masks and vitamins, it would have made a big difference in my opinion.

Getting and recovering from COVID for everyone in my household was like removing a huge gorilla from my back, it reduced a lot of anxiety. If I had not caught it and had not had any biologically close family members with experience, I would still be terrified.
In fairness, this topic is being worked on 100x(?) more intensely than SARS. But I understand your point.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 09-22-2021 at 06:49 AM..

Old 09-22-2021, 09:46 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
So given you fitness level, vax status and probable exposure, don't you think that's where we're going with this?
In other words, get vaxed, make sure you're exercising and your diet is healthy and maybe you'll be able to avoid long haul covid?
If we set aside covid for a sec, one of the biggest problems in this whole thing is that people are in really crappy shape to begin with but are deluded into thinking they're health and can "take it."
The bolded statements are 100% accurate, and I can relate this to my own experiences. I've always been on the thin side, which is largely genetic, but I had a HORRIBLE diet when I was young. Our entire family ate a lot of red meat and fried food. In between, I'd be diving into the Twinkie box. I didn't gain a pound, but I felt lethargic much of the time. My wake up call was Diabetes. It's rampant in our family, and I was diagnosed in my 20s. Since that time, I've cut back on starches, nearly eliminated items with refined sugar, and I can't even remember the last time I had an alcoholic drink.

This along with regular exercise has certainly contributed to the fact that I haven't been truly sick in well over 10 years. Even with my lower risk for health problems, I still get the vaccines when available. It's not only for my protection, but for everybody else's. For those who refuse the vaccines, it's their choice (I think many of them are scared of the needles), but all I can say to them is: don't come crying when you suffer the consequences.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:01 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
For those who refuse the vaccines, it's their choice (I think many of them are scared of the needles), but all I can say to them is: don't come crying when you suffer the consequences.
I get a flu shot every year. The last time I got poked with rusty metal, I got a tetanus shot. I am not afraid of needles. I am not "anti-vax". I am 100% for vaccination! What I am not for is being ordered to take one of a variety of rushed-through shots which are proven to not work, and which all have an array of serious side effects that is many times greater than any previous vaccine which went through years of testing. And all for what would almost certainly amount to nothing more than a bad cold for me, if that.

Let me know when there's an actual vaccine for COVID-19. That means once I take it, I'm done... I can no longer get sick or carry or transmit that variant of the virus. That's the very definition of a vaccine! But so long as it's "BE AFRAID! TAKE THE SHOT, NOW! You cannot ask any questions about it! It doesn't matter if you already have antibodies! Just shut up and take it! Oh, and after you've taken it, you still have to be treated like everyone else!"... I mean, if that makes sense to someone, I don't know what to say.

I'll continue to follow the science, not a herd of panicked lemmings being goaded on by social media, politicians, and bureaucrats.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:12 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I get a flu shot every year. The last time I got poked with rusty metal, I got a tetanus shot. I am not afraid of needles. I am not "anti-vax". I am 100% for vaccination! What I am not for is being ordered to take one of a variety of rushed-through shots which are proven to not work, and which all have an array of serious side effects that is many times greater than any previous vaccine which went through years of testing. And all for what would almost certainly amount to nothing more than a bad cold for me, if that.

Let me know when there's an actual vaccine for COVID-19. That means once I take it, I'm done... I can no longer get sick or carry or transmit that variant of the virus. That's the very definition of a vaccine! But so long as it's "BE AFRAID! TAKE THE SHOT, NOW! You cannot ask any questions about it! It doesn't matter if you already have antibodies! Just shut up and take it! Oh, and after you've taken it, you still have to be treated like everyone else!"... I mean, if that makes sense to someone, I don't know what to say.

I'll continue to follow the science, not a herd of panicked lemmings being goaded on by social media, politicians, and bureaucrats.
You seem to be the sheep, bro. Following the Q herd.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:

When you manipulate the narrative ^^ like you just did, of course it doesn't make sense.

Quote:

How is it that the overwelling majority of medical doctors, immunologists, and microbiologists across the entire world got it wrong? Those dopes are all in a "herd of panicked lemmings being goaded on by social media, politicians, and bureaucrats." Damn, bro! You won the brainpower lottery! Congrats!

Disclaimer: As I mentioned before, if I was a healthy male under 30 years old, I would punt on an mNRA vaccine and opt for the J&J.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 09-23-2021 at 02:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area