Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 08:53 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times

Advertisements

I didn't have allergies in Phoenix until I discovered olive trees.

Evidently, I'm not the only one; I hear it's against the law to plant 'em.

Is that true?

If it is, then I like that law. Messy trees too. Squish, squish, squish.

Back in Michigan....4 weeks of hell in spring, hit & miss all summer long, then another 4 weeks of hell in the fall. Winter is just as dry as AZ in the summer. Lovin' it......

Old 07-28-2009, 10:18 PM

430 posts, read 1,410,031 times
Default That is not true........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
That depends on the individual person.

Myself; I have trouble breathing where the ambient temp is 80F+ and the humidity is high-------think Wash DC.

As for the dry skin/hair factor: despite my having a Nordic white complexion-------my skin is actually rather oily. Yes; I have greasy hair after a couple of days (one day in the summer).

And the cold makes me feel physically ill overall.

Bettr our 100F @ 10% humidity heat than that average 40F crap back east in the middle of the day wintertime.
Everyone needs moisture for skin, sinuses, membranes, even joints, I have aslo heard of the dry air making joint problems much worse. yeah, some peoples skin is more oily then others, and thats a blessing here because you will wrinkle slower but unless you have oily sinuses this dry air is no good for those.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:24 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I didn't have allergies in Phoenix until I discovered olive trees.

Evidently, I'm not the only one; I hear it's against the law to plant 'em.

Is that true?

If it is, then I like that law. Messy trees too. Squish, squish, squish.

Back in Michigan....4 weeks of hell in spring, hit & miss all summer long, then another 4 weeks of hell in the fall. Winter is just as dry as AZ in the summer. Lovin' it......
Peoplw who don't know that orange pollen is not airborne blame orange blossoms for their allergies because they're more obvious due to the smell. The olives are the real culprit, blooming at the same time.

It's not illegal to plant olive trees, as far as I know. Male mulberries can't be planted in Tucson any more, not sure about anywhere else. THe olive trees can be treated with something every year so they don't flower and bear fruit. The man who used to live in the house next door to me treated his... unfortunately, he moved, and the ones who have lived there since don't.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:24 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkylady2 View Post
Everyone needs moisture for skin, sinuses, membranes, even joints, I have aslo heard of the dry air making joint problems much worse. yeah, some peoples skin is more oily then others, and thats a blessing here because you will wrinkle slower but unless you have oily sinuses this dry air is no good for those.
How can you speak for how I feel physically in the humidity vs. our dry heat? You prefer that weather back east------------I do not.

Trust me: as I stated previously------------I feel like hell whenever the humidity is high (60%+) coupled with 80F+ temps.

For example; I walked ca. 2 miles last night at 7 PM when it was ca. 110F out there............a bit uncomfortable but not debilitating by any means. Once I got back inside under the AC I was not panting, nothing. Just sweating a bit. Note I will be 52 in a couple of months and I am also 40 lbs overweight.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:28 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Peoplw who don't know that orange pollen is not airborne blame orange blossoms for their allergies because they're more obvious due to the smell. The olives are the real culprit, blooming at the same time.

It's not illegal to plant olive trees, as far as I know. Male mulberries can't be planted in Tucson any more, not sure about anywhere else. THe olive trees can be treated with something every year so they don't flower and bear fruit. The man who used to live in the house next door to me treated his... unfortunately, he moved, and the ones who have lived there since don't.
People should have a right to grow whatever they want. The government should not be making laws about this. If someone is allergic they should take an anti-histamine and stay in the house. People had been growing mulberries and olives here for decades till all these people from the midwest moved here and started whining. It is the human transplants not the vegetative ones that have degraded the quality of life here. If you have allergies here and can't live with them, go back where you came from.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:37 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
I fortunately don't have allergies of any consequence, but I agree with you about all the regulations. It was the transplants who brought not only their sinuses, but their plants, to AZ years ago that created a big part of the situation we have now.

The olives are messy when they start dropping fruit. That's the only reason I wish the neighbors still treated the tree.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:49 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,576,051 times
The olive tree sure is a beautiful tree though.

They're all over the Mediterrenean areas, like along the coast in Southern and Eastern Europe.

Too bad I don't like olives though, I'd have a field day while there. Haha

EDIT: Though, to be "on topic" I think that the olive tree being planted there should be somewhat regulated. If it produces that many allergens, and isn't native to the area...well, I dunno, it just doesn't seem like the best idea to have them around.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:49 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
People should have a right to grow whatever they want. The government should not be making laws about this. If someone is allergic they should take an anti-histamine and stay in the house. People had been growing mulberries and olives here for decades till all these people from the midwest moved here and started whining. It is the human transplants not the vegetative ones that have degraded the quality of life here. If you have allergies here and can't live with them, go back where you came from.
There are several reasons communities have limited or outlawed the planting of certain types of plants: Pollen and allergies are part of the reasons - this becomes especially true in areas of large amounts of senior citizens (like the Sun Cities).

The other reason includes the amount of water necessary to maintain these trees / plants.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:28 PM

223 posts, read 596,484 times
Quote:
I agree in general that you should be able to plant what you want; there are some cases where 'banning' stuff may be appropriate, though - when a non-indigenous species has a detrimental effect on the area. I don't know if you have any equivalent situations here, but an example would be the Eucalyptus trees in the Bay Area - they are not indigenous and grow very quickly, and are a huge fire hazard. The Oakland hills fire back in the 80's was largely a result of these oil-rich (fire fueling) trees having 'pushed out' other native trees.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:39 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
Quote:
Very good reply.

Wonderfully written. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area