Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 09:51 AM

179 posts, read 297,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I’d argue that most people that like nice things like them for themselves. I like caviar. It’s a luxury item. I don’t give a rat’s booty who sees me eating it. I enjoy it. It has nothing to do with image. To suggest that luxurious items, nice houses, etc. are only purchased to boost one’s image is just silly.
For sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 10:30 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,952,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Hyenas???!! Are you sure you weren't living in Africa?

Sometimes it's a thin line between a memory and a dope dream.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:05 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,304,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Sometimes it's a thin line between a memory and a dope dream.
HaHaHa

Old 08-31-2019, 11:40 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,955,180 times
Probably means Javelinas

Old 08-31-2019, 12:25 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,258,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
I remember living in a gated community in North Scottsdale and there were about 18 layers of security but lo and behold car break-ins were happening (I believe they were unlocked which is a whole different conversation). Also, said community had hyeenas (rather frequently in fact), packs of coyotes and the cherry on top was a HUGE rattlesnake trying to get under our door! But hey it was gated LOL
Exurban community more than likely, which explains the presence of snakes and other unwanted creatures. I prefer the gated communities in central Scottsdale, Paradise Valley Village, and north central Phoenix for this very reason. The other reason of course is being closer to shopping, employment, and other amenities without having to commute as far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Probably means Javelinas
Maybe they call them hyenas in Mini Soda!
()

Old 08-31-2019, 01:53 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,661,120 times
Gates are really dumb. All anyone has to do is wait for someone else. Or, heck, one time I was following my realtor, and she didn't have the right code, and someone else was leaving, so we just swerved over into the exit lane to go in. It's as much security theater as the TSA.

Old 08-31-2019, 02:16 PM

1,688 posts, read 1,269,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Gates are really dumb. All anyone has to do is wait for someone else. Or, heck, one time I was following my realtor, and she didn't have the right code, and someone else was leaving, so we just swerved over into the exit lane to go in. It's as much security theater as the TSA.
I used to think the same thing, but I've since changed my mind. I live in a small gated community in North Central Phoenix. It's a deterrent....simple as that. We hardly get any crime within our gates. If we do, it's someone that lives here acting crazy. The area around me has quite a few break ins and whatnot. Criminals just want the lowest hanging fruit. The easiest way in and out. Most of the time that means not bothering with a gate.

Old 08-31-2019, 02:40 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,612,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hap1719 View Post
You just won Powerball so take money out of the equation. Where would you buy a house if living in Phoenix area? That answers the question.
In the neighborhood where I grew up - off Indian School & 44th St.

Old 08-31-2019, 04:04 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,156,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
In both Washington and Minnesota, the truly wealthy don’t try to prove anything despite being exceptionally wealthy. In other words, in most of the country (also lived in NYC for a bit) does not want to show off their wealth. It’s the wanna-bes that tend to flaunt their “money” around.
You have one generalization after another. If you want to experience shallow behavior, give Lake Minnetonka in MN a try. It's very much status driven. Of course, there are a lot of other people (majority) who are down to earth and live on the lake. In one situation, a person bull dozed down a $55M home to build a 55,000 square foot home; yes, I counted my zeros. On the lake, their is currently over $1 Billion tear downs and rebuilds and remodels. One of which is even bigger than the 55,000 square foot home (Pillsbury mansion) that was torn down. That new home is north of $40,000,000 and is almost complete by Martin E. Davis owner of Cambria; net worth $1.3B.

A few weeks back, several of us stayed at a friends moms home as she lived on the lake. Her mom said the lot was worth $1.8M. This nice 1995 built home was built and lived in by a 78 year old and her younger boy friend. It was a very nice 4,000 square foot home. Up and down the block she was dwarfed by mansions. She told us her home will eventually be a tear down. If I put in $200K to make it more modern, it would be an amazing home! But expect a multi million home to eventually go up. Mind you, I didn't ask the price. She had some friends on the lake drop by and they were name dropping who bought what and were. Kind of like a mini Hampton's. They were rather impressed with what people did and who they were and that was the thrust of the conversation well over an hour.

We stayed for the weekend. One of the days we pulled up to a restaurant on our friends nice $700K boat. Mind you, there are some 50 foot yachts on a lake the 1/2 the size of Roosevelt Lake in AZ. When we docked our boat, heads were staring at us here https://www.lordfletchers.com/ for a solid 3-5 minutes as people were trying to figure out who we were (dock boys run up to tie you up and you are 20 feet away from 100 patrons).

I'm not making this next part up. As we were leaving, a nice older wooden type boat comes into the dock right next to us. It was a couple in their late 30's early 40's. I said hi as I was ready to board our boat and made some small talk. Something like nice day boat etc. Within a few seconds, the lady asks out of the blue if I know who here boy friend was. I said no, should I? And she said yes. She explained that he's an actor. I didn't bite so she proceeds to tell me. I said that's great and went on our boat. I'll be damned if I remember who she said he was. While I get on the front of the boat, I told a friend the story in disbelief. She said it was someone who looked like him because the actor (who I cannot remember) was over 6' tall (this guy was much shorter). I decided to have some fun. So as they are tied up and we were backing up, I kindly asked her boy friend who entered the common dock a few feet from us: "would you like to take our picture"? Offended, he said no as he shook his head slightly in disbelief. My point is of course there will be a concentration of shallow people that flock to a location including the wannabees. Maybe the women felt inferior or is was a weird joke. Anyways, Minnesotans can be shallow too.

That all said, I want to live in a gated community to keep some of the riff raff out. The same reason why I have cameras, a security system, lights that are times to simulate that I'm home etc. It's ANOTHER level of security. It has nothing to do with someone feeling more important. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy driving a nicer, wear nicer clothes, wear better caliber sun glasses etc. I suppose part of the reason (OR COURSE) is shallow. Just like anyone wanting a nicer hotel to stay at etc etc.

Back on topic. My wife also wants to move to North Scottsdale. Reason: to be more central, have more abundant better caliber restaurants, more interesting landscape with topography etc. OF COURSE there will be a higher concentration of snobs!

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 08-31-2019 at 04:15 PM..

Old 08-31-2019, 06:36 PM

1,336 posts, read 926,982 times
When Silicon Valley got going in the early days, it was never about showing off your wealth. It was thought to be gauche and anyway you were just another lucky nouveau riche, nothing like that east coast family money from the steel days. Now it's gotten all douchey and fancy cars everywhere.

Over here in North Scottsdale, I see so many white Range Rovers it's comical. I started wondering if it was required by the HOA. Nice car, but really it's a useless vehicle that just signals wealth, but little common sense. I looked at Range and passed, got a regular pickup truck, more practical, though still not cheap! Many Mercedes SUVs, some Audi SUVs, etc... why not. Life is short I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area