Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 08:31 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times

Advertisements

Seems the Burgh has more and more new eclectic places to dine everyday, and with such growth Burghers are more more becoming restaurant conosur (foodies).

I think its high time, we start a foodies thread about our various restaurants experiences to suggest for other in an around the Burgh. Plus I love it because I will know what to add to the list of Must Sees for when I make trips home.

- Suggest new places

- Recommend or Condemn a place

- Look for suggestions and reviews

- Give details of ones experience

- Find a new place tell us about iit, Post it Here

This should be an interesting thread, and we want to keep it to atleast "Fast Casual" and Up... It'll be our little foodie social network
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 08:36 PM

I'll start - besides the all the recommedations on here like NOLA

These are some other "Hotspots" I have been told are must tries. Let me know if anyone has an opinion on these.

Brik
The Brik Room - On Carson New South Side eatery goes beyond the pizza - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Savoy
Pittsburgh's premier dining & social destination. Welcome to the good life.

Tamari
Tamari Restaurant and Lounge - 3519 Butler Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15201

Old 06-27-2011, 08:42 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,961 times
OK I go.

We ate at the Georgetown Inn on Mt. Warshington last weekend and it was just OK.
Georgetowne Inn, Pittsburgh

We had a coupon so we gave the place a shot. The interior is dated (think 1960s carpet and alot of old wood with aging stain). The menu is mostly American fare, but nothing all that interesting. The wife's veal oscar was decent but my swordfish was overcooked and dry. Good service and you do get a lot of food (soup, salad, sides, ect.), but the menu and decor is dated.

Overall it seems to be a place that lives and dies by their awesome view and location next to the incline. The menu and decor need to be brought into the new millennium.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:44 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I'll start - besides the all the recommedations on here like NOLA

These are some other "Hotspots" I have been told are must tries. Let me know if anyone has an opinion on these.

Tamari
Tamari Restaurant and Lounge - 3519 Butler Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15201
We love Tamari! Ultra cool and hip decor. Awesome tapas and sushi.

We like to sit at the bar in front of the cooks and watch them prepare everything. Here's another hint - if you sit at the front bar during happy hour you get big discounts on tapas.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
We love Tamari! Ultra cool and hip decor. Awesome tapas and sushi.

We like to sit at the bar in front of the cooks and watch them prepare everything. Here's another hint - if you sit at the front bar during happy hour you get big discounts on tapas.
Thanks, I want to try it when I come home in August, sit on the rooftop patio during a sunset over Downtown would be Awesome....Think I will try it with my GF's one friday night before going out.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:54 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
I think the food is going down hill in restaurants. Not just in Pittsburgh, but everywhere. Where can someone get a med rare burger? I went to the Burgatory in FC Waterworks. Ordered med rare it came well done. Glad it did, since I don't think they have the quality to offer a real med rare burger. I don't think anyone knows how to make a great burger anymore. They all press the down hard, cook them well done and you eat a hockey puck. Yahoo!

Old 06-27-2011, 08:57 PM

While the Burger revolution may just be getting started in the Burgh, I must say I'm kind of burned out on the expreinece, this is why I really dont have an urge to try BRGR in East Liberty.

BRGR

Old 06-27-2011, 08:59 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Ah, yes, I've been to the Georgetowne Inn. You go there only for the view. The food is, well, food-ish. Luckily I've been only twice and never had to pay. Definitely doesn't go on a foodie list. Indeed the only place on Mt Washington that might remotely qualify is Isabela on Grandview. And I can't attest to that personally.

A place you should try if you haven't: Dinette, East Liberty http://dinette-pgh.com/

Old 06-27-2011, 09:13 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I think the food is going down hill in restaurants. Not just in Pittsburgh, but everywhere. Where can someone get a med rare burger? I went to the Burgatory in FC Waterworks. Ordered med rare it came well done. Glad it did, since I don't think they have the quality to offer a real med rare burger. I don't think anyone knows how to make a great burger anymore. They all press the down hard, cook them well done and you eat a hockey puck. Yahoo!
Winghart's, Market Square, is where you should go for a medium rare burger. The chef is also a butcher and grinds the meat fresh daily. You'll see the chef/owner/butcher in there cooking the burgers. Yes, you can get med rare or even rare. Everywhere else is in CYA mode on cooking temps.

If that's your only judge of the food going downhill, well, fine, we know all the meat supply is full of nasty stuff and the chain places are in CYA mode. But the variety of food in this city has improved immensely. It's not all great but a lot of it is pretty good. There actually hasn't been a huge variety of different lowbrow-type food though. It's been more of the higher cost foodie sort of restaurants.

Burgatory wasn't awful but wasn't great either. I liked my burger okay as I recall, might go there again if I were close to it.

BRGR is fun, but in both of these last two cases try not to wait forever for a seat, holy crap, the waits can be insane. At Burgatory even mid-afternoon on the weekend has a wait, and probably BRGR too. The best things about Burgatory and BRGR are probably the spiked shakes, LOL. And BRGR is better at them, didn't so much care for the "chunky" sort of shakes at Burgatory.

If you want to drive for a really good burger, please go to Burgh'ers in Harmony: http://www.burghersinc.com/ This is a damn fine burger made with grass fed very local beef and other local ingredients. He'll probably cook it medium rare too, no reason not to with the quality meat. I never got a taste for that, should probably try it sometimes but my standard request at these places has been medium, which at least is an improvement in my own development vs well done or medium well.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:23 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
Red Oak in Oakland is a good fast/casual place to grab a bite for cheap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh