Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 08:44 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I love me some damn falafel. What do you think is the best falafel in the city?
pittsburgh isn't the best town for falafel, but my favorite is kassab's on the south side.

oh and for the person asking about salt of the earth - that place is seriously excellent. it's definitely expensive, but it's not that bad compared to places with food of comparable quality/fanciness. and it's an experience eating there - you can reserve a private table upstairs but there are also unreservable long shared tables downstairs and a counter that faces directly into the open kitchen which is really fun.

another really nice and romantic restaurant, if not a new one, is the hyeholde which is in moon, i think. somewhere out by the airport. the dining room is beautiful, in a castle-style building, and they can also make you a picnic to eat on their grounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 09:05 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
I don't know if this counts as newer at this point, but I'd suggest Tamari is a nice place for a romantic dinner.

I'd also recommend the aforementioned Elements, if you are into sharing food--you could make a very romantic meal out of selections from their charcuterie and candy menus.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:16 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
pittsburgh isn't the best town for falafel, but my favorite is kassab's on the south side.
I agree, alot of places have the falafel "discs" that were prepared before hand and reheated. Disappointing to say the least. Sababa's has decent falafel and the Alladin's locations aren't bad either. I really like that strong chick pea flavor which is tough to find.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:10 PM

780 posts, read 1,385,198 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I don't know if this counts as newer at this point, but I'd suggest Tamari is a nice place for a romantic dinner.

I'd also recommend the aforementioned Elements, if you are into sharing food--you could make a very romantic meal out of selections from their charcuterie and candy menus.
Thanks, I saw that. I am into making kielbassa, summer sausage, jerky, etc. so that sounded interesting; my wife isn't into it so much.

I emailed her some of the menus (elements, salt, spoon) and I'll let her choose.

Tamari definitely looks like a place I want to check out as well, but not liking sushi or shellfish, the menu will be a little limited for her. We may go on another "babysitter" night though.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:27 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Seattle Foodie dines in the Burgh and came away fairly impressed

Hot Places to Dine in Pittsburgh | Sortachef

Old 07-13-2011, 07:32 AM

Nice article overall, but it somewhat suggested that such places in Pittsburgh were uncommon (a claim echoed by a commentator), which is very much untrue at this point. We do not have the same limited restaurant scene of 20--or even 10 or 5--years ago these days, and new places are being added to the list all the time (literally--we have a list of places we want to try, and it keeps growing faster than we can find times to dine out).

Old 07-13-2011, 07:37 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
I don't know that I'd ever think to recommend the Bettis Grille to an out-of-towner trying to eat good in Pittsburgh.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I don't know that I'd ever think to recommend the Bettis Grille to an out-of-towner trying to eat good in Pittsburgh.
The food is generic upscale grill, but the location/view is in fact excellent. It is unfortunate that none of the places along the river there are really worth recommending for the food (although Rivertowne at least has local beer).

Old 07-13-2011, 11:56 PM

21 posts, read 31,903 times
Bona Terra

Old 07-14-2011, 08:09 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
L'ville is setting up to have a nice eclectic Restaurant Row...This sound interesting to try

Former Elements chef, Justin Severino, finds a cure for his desire to open a restaurant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh