Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 03:35 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,900,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I'm not taking about "Pitt." I'm talking about "PIT," which you believe would do wonders for marketing. To clarify: PIT, written down as a marketing tool.
not solely for marketing...think of it more like Pittsburgh owning PIT since its already the abbreviation used by Transportation and the Media and like or not this is how America sees Pittsburgh's abbreviation...also i think PIT being capitalized (don't know why since its not an actual Acronym for Pittsburgh) doesn't so much make me think of Armpits as if it was just written Pit or pit...

Old 11-27-2012, 03:39 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,900,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Great, let's bring Hitler into the forum. Or is it HTLR?

Here comes YAC!!!

Do you ever have anything non-sarcastic to add any conversation or topic in this forum?

Old 11-27-2012, 03:41 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,675,257 times
This discussion is pointless. Only the Committee for Universal Abbreviations (***) can make the decision whether Pittsburgh can adopt PIT as its universal abbreviation and drop PGH.

***acronym previously designated

Old 11-27-2012, 03:41 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,808,222 times
By the way, YNZ is the IATA code for Yancheng Nanyang Airport, serving Yancheng, China.

Perhaps it should be a future sister city for Pittsburgh.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:43 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,556,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Do you ever have anything non-sarcastic to add any conversation or topic in this forum?

Pretty much, no.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:52 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,901,124 times
Quote:
Well then Abbreviation then does that work for you. Instead of trying to be a Wise Ass how about actually arguing your point with some actual logic. Try that for a change.
I'm being perfectly logical. When someone says "acronym," I expect an acronym. How am I being illogical? I'll grant you I'm being a "wiseass," but my logic is solid.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:56 PM

9,352 posts, read 13,019,473 times
Quote:
not solely for marketing...think of it more like Pittsburgh owning PIT since its already the abbreviation used by Transportation and the Media and like or not this is how America sees Pittsburgh's abbreviation...also i think PIT being capitalized (don't know why since its not an actual Acronym for Pittsburgh) doesn't so much make me think of Armpits as if it was just written Pit or pit...
Given the long unfortunate history of people calling Pittsburgh "the pits," I disagree. And as far as everyday use goes (not media or transportation handle use), I've still never seen Pitt missing the last T and capitalized.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:03 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,556,285 times
Quote:
Given the long unfortunate history of people calling Pittsburgh "the pits," I disagree. And as far as everyday use goes (not media or transportation handle use), I've still never seen Pitt missing the last T and capitalized.

Agree with that one. When my wife and I purchased our home it was vacant, other than the sign the previous owners left when they moved back to Floriduh: Pittsburgh is the Pitts!

Old 11-27-2012, 05:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Agree with that one. When my wife and I purchased our home it was vacant, other than the sign the previous owners left when they moved back to Floriduh: Pittsburgh is the Pitts!
Everyone thinks of some form of pit when they hear PIT. The salute to Pitt, the university, was raising one arm and slapping the other hand/fist under the armpit while saying "Pitt!" The general "Pittsburgh is the pits" saying recalls the smoggy days when it got dark before Noon. And then there are the coal pits. The Pittsburgh region was the nation's leader in coal mining. Sorry Blackbeauty. PIT isn't trendy. PIT keeps the city stuck in its dirty past.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:04 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,669,143 times
Quote:
It already serves an abbreviation for Pittsburgh....You guys act like its not used in commonality at all. That I just made up the PIT abbreviation on the fly.

Outside of Pittsburgh PIT and Pitt is more common than PGH. its in Pittsburgh where its not common except for Airport use.
I can't figure out why you have taken it as given that this is important or matters in any serious way. Or maybe if I believe it's unimportant the answer to the question posed in the title is just "No".

Anyway. When you say you use Pgh all the time (and I don't know why that should be all caps, it should be Pgh when you write it as an abbreviation, which actually makes it a tiny bit clearer, at least that you mean one word instead of 3) do you mean in written or in speaking? Because in the latter I can see how it doesn't make sense at all. Pittsburgh already only has two syllables so if you pronounce three letters P-G-H then that would take MORE effort for less clarity. So I assume you mean written. In which case for people who aren't at all thinking of Pittsburgh I'm not sure that pit or Pit or PIT written out more obviously means the city compared to Pgh. I would think you'd get "???" either way a lot of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh