Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 12:56 PM

567 posts, read 1,162,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
It's a brilliant discussion around branding, marketing of place...again too bad most people who've replied so far can't seem to think that deeply.
*ahem*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoocheck View Post
Perhaps some industrious forum member should start a thread about branding, since we've talked about this kind of stuff in a few places in the recent past (iconic structure, city motto/catchphrase a while back).

Old 11-27-2012, 12:57 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,601,583 times
Quote:
It's a brilliant discussion around branding, marketing of place...again too bad most people who've replied so far can't seem to think that deeply.
Pretty much by definition, you shouldn't think deeply about branding. The whole point of branding is to create something that works well for people who think shallowly.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:57 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,360,444 times
Quote:
Because when you think about it, REALLY THINK ABOUT.

I see what you're saying. But you know, I can see "Minnie" and "Mpls." and recognize either as Minneapolis without much thought. I'm sure people outside this reason can do the same with PGH.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:59 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,900,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I've used and accepted both without problem.

But this thread has gotten me thinking. From now on I will only recognize "DUQ," which is of course MY official abbreviation for Fort Duquesne. That was the first Western settlement in this area and therefore gains "Squatters Rights" for any and all city abbreviations.
Sarcasm aside.....how have you used both and why?

Old 11-27-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Sarcasm aside.....how have you used both and why?
Honestly, I've used them pretty much interchangeably.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I see what you're saying. But you know, I can see "Minnie" and "Mpls." and recognize either as Minneapolis without much thought. I'm sure people outside this reason can do the same with PGH.
Don't assume.

Minneapolis isn't quite in Pittsburgh's box....MPLS is a universally used acronym and its the official abbrv used by natives on the other hand MLSP doesn't quite as easily say Minneapolis to an outsider as PIT does of Pittsburgh. IMO

Old 11-27-2012, 01:08 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
No it completely goes to my argument. That even your screen name, someone that's not from Pittsburgh is going think "Pitt Chick" represents a female from Pittsburgh....before they think a female that when to the University of Pittsburgh.
Yet that has never been the case, in the decades I have had that handle... until you mentioned it.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Pretty much by definition, you shouldn't think deeply about branding. The whole point of branding is to create something that works well for people who think shallowly.
To be honest that's most of America now for you....Most people can't think for themselves everything must be spelled out for them...every watch "Jay Walking" on the Tonight Show? Those people are NOT Actors, its truly sad. Most American's make their political decisions based on what cable news tells them.

Sorry but in we live in era where things must be dumb down for the mainstream of America.

Everyone used listened to Ludacris can tell you ATL is Atlanta because the acronym has been pop cultured...but ask them where's PGH, and you the one who looks like an idiot.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:12 PM

9,352 posts, read 13,019,473 times
Quote:
Because when you think about it, REALLY THINK ABOUT.

The question isn't whether "PIT" makes more sense, but rather, what the alteration of an abbreviation, within a class of abbreviations that is rarely seen by people outside the airline industry (and your random amateur pilot hobbyist) will actually accomplish.

The reason why it's "AYE-TEE-ELL" and not "attle" is because ATL is an obvious acronym. People are going to see "PIT" and automatically think of the word, which, if anything, would fit in much better with people's supposed conception of the place as a "smokey redneck hellhole," given that calling someplace "the pits" is not exactly a term of endearment.

ATL just happens to work for Atlanta, but there are a whole slew of airport city codes that would do a terrible job at marketing a place (no one calls Miami "the MIA" or Denver "America's DEN").

As a proud University of Pittsburgh alumnus, I always used "Pitt" to describe the school and "PGH" to describe the city and region. I don't claim that my personal usage is, or should be, indicative of the area at large, but I will say that more important than finding a snazzy abbreviation is finding ways to turn Pittsburgh into a genuine tourist destination. While Pittsburgh has improved leaps and bounds as far as everyday living goes, there isn't much to experience as a visitor unless you're be guided by a well-versed friend who can take you to all the "well-kept secrets."

Old 11-27-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Don't assume.

Minneapolis isn't quite in Pittsburgh's box....MPLS is a universally used acronym and its the official abbrv used by natives on the other hand MLSP doesn't quite as easily say Minneapolis to an outsider as PIT does of Pittsburgh. IMO

No, I see what you're saying. I don't know it's a big deal either way. However, in a hypothetical marketing campaign marketing your city as "PIT" has its own special set of problems as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh