Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 11:40 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,676,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
You do enough to bother replying

So I imagined if it wasn't worth your time you wouldn't have bother responding or even reading it for that matter.

There are a lot of topics I couldn't careless less about in the Pittsburgh forum, guess what I don't read them or reply to them...

Thanks for Caring.
No. I answered once. Came back, saw 6 pages of people disagreeing with you and you continuing to argue as though this was the THING OF GREATEST IMPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, no I don't really care, I just think you are being a tad ridiculous.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:41 AM

567 posts, read 1,162,399 times
Quote:
Put it to you another..if some John Doe abbrv. Pittsburgh using PGH...I know that person is either a native or has lived in Pittsburgh for a while at least...if he uses PIT I know he's from anywhere but Pittsburgh.
Exactly. So both PGH and PIT can be used. On the internets people will figure out what PGH means if they don't know, and PIT should be clear from the context of a sentence to the rest of us, even if it is "wrong".

Note this only applies to written word. If someone speaking says something besides just the full "Pittsburgh", it's kinda silly.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I have another one for you. Who cares?

Not meant to be snarky, but who really cares if there is an *official* abbreviation? As long as the people who are using whatever abbr. they use know what they are talking about, why does there have to be a standardization?

People from out here rankle when outsiders call San Francisco SFO, but once again -- to me it shows us they are not from here and are to be greeted warmly, so they tell their friends how great SFO is and COME BACK AND SPEND MORE TOURIST DOLLARS.

So I'm firmly in the "call me anything you want, just don't call me late for dinner" camp.
Tourists are calling San Francisco "SFO"? that is especially silly considering there is already an even shorter acronym, namely SF This is a case where SFO more clearly should refer to an airport. Same with LAX.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:46 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,680,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I'll suggest a yes. Because you can say PIT but not PGH. People will say Philly or Cincy because otherwise the name is a mouthful. PIT might get confused with Pitt, but maybe context will take care of that.
"pittsburgh" is not a mouthful, though.

"cincinnati" has 4 syllables
"philadelphia" has 5
the shortened versions of those names have 2 syllables, just like "pittsburgh".

i think i partly like pgh because it (hopefully) reminds people that there is an h on the end!! i'm not gonna get mad if someone says "PIT" or "pitt" though. well i sort of think referring to a city as its airport code is dumb, but it's not high on my list of annoying things.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:49 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,669,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoocheck View Post
Note this only applies to written word. If someone speaking says something besides just the full "Pittsburgh", it's kinda silly.
True. The pronounceability of PIT should have no bearing on this. Do people pronounce NYC? Nope. One can just as easily say "Pee Gee Aich" just like NYC if it ever came to be in fashion, but I kinda doubt it will.

You can dismiss the remainder of the couple of posts that had a little more than "who cares" in them if you like, but that would be just sticking your head in the sand. The more proper thing to have said perhaps than "who cares":

"The outcome of this discussion does not matter because it presupposes an importance to these abbreviations that they do not actually possess."

If you do not wish to accept that as a possibility then we can't have a meaningful discussion.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:50 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,601,583 times
I wonder if Upper St. Clair has a similar problem where some use USC and other UPP.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:56 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,680,717 times
from this point on i am going to refer to new york city as JFK.

5,802 posts, read 9,900,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
No. I answered once. Came back, saw 6 pages of people disagreeing with you and you continuing to argue as though this was the THING OF GREATEST IMPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, no I don't really care, I just think you are being a tad ridiculous.
Excuse me I didn't know you were the authority on what threads are worth peoples time or not, very Snobbish of you.

So your No. should be the end of the story? especially when you haven't provided one argument as to why you chose "no"?

I'm a debater...When I see validity in an argument I debate it, even if its against everyone's logic...

It's no ridiculous if you actually stopped and gave it some serious thought...it all goes back to the Branding of the city to outsiders...There's a whole city non-profit origination called Visit Pittsburgh that thinks of branding to get Pittsburgh better known both National and Internationally.

Again if you don't think the topic isn't worth your time...you should've left it alone at just "NO" or not bothered at all.

There's whole lot little silly ass topics in this forum...again I just don't bother to even read them let alone reply. Otherwise I've shown that I somewhat care!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
True. The pronounceability of PIT should have no bearing on this. Do people pronounce NYC? Nope. One can just as easily say "Pee Gee Aich" just like NYC if it ever came to be in fashion, but I kinda doubt it will.
Some of my DC friends have taken to calling Pgh "P-G-H" (or "the P-G-H") after learning that Pgh is abbreaviated PGH.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:59 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,706,697 times
Quote:
So should Pittsburgh adopt PIT as its universal abbreviation and drop PGH?

LOL who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh