Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 02:32 PM

9,352 posts, read 13,019,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
I think "pitt." is a little too 90s rock bandish: "moe.", ".moneen.", etc.
How else are we going to attract hipsters once they finish annexing Lawrenceville as their Sudetenland and invading Polish Hill as their Vienna?

Old 11-27-2012, 02:33 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,900,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPittsburgh View Post
You guys are making my brain explode!!!!!!

I propose co-abbreviations and a cease fire? No? Alright, carry on.
too much deep thinking going on here. I've already said some people just cannot get that deep with this topic...

Again if you can take this topic seriously (most have shown they can't) this is a very good debate.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:36 PM

You can't take wikipedia as common knowledge.....if PGH was universally used as an acronym for Pittsburgh there would be no debate. Unfortunately that's not known the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post

PGH

A common abbreviation for Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
The code for Union Station (Pittsburgh)

PIT

Entering this search term takes you straight to the article on Pittsburgh International Airport

MSP

Minneapolis–Saint Paul, the twin cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul and the surrounding area — the most highly populated area in Minnesota, USA
Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport, IATA airport code
Midway (Amtrak station), in St. Paul, Minnesota, United States

MLSP

Did you mean: MLS

MPLS

Entering this search term takes you straight to the article on Multiprotocol Label Switching

Mpls

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Multiprotocol Label Switching, a data-carrying mechanism in computer networking

Note it refers to Minneapolis, NOT the Twin Cities as a whole. Mpls is essentially the equivalent to Penna.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Same breath you can ask. how can you market any city positively that's named PITTSburgh? still doesn't dismiss the fact that PIT used more universally as abbrv for Pittsburgh than PGH is.
The extra T means a lot though. Most everyone knows how to spell the first syllable of Pittsburgh, so when they hear it, they see "Pitt" in their minds.

And googling PIT with Pittsburgh, I still only see transportation-related links the first few pages, along with a story about someone who actually fell into a pit.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
No, keep it PGH. It might actually remind the illiterates in the rest of the country that there's an 'H' at the end of 'PittsburgH.'
Like illiterates can tell you that PGH is Pittsburgh in the first place. They too use whats most commonly use outside of Pittsburgh and that's PIT or Pitt.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:39 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,762,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
I think "pitt." is a little too 90s rock bandish: "moe.", ".moneen.", etc.
janet.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Like illiterates can tell you that PGH is Pittsburgh in the first place. They too use whats most commonly use outside of Pittsburgh and that's PIT or Pitt.
In the Philadelphia Area, I've heard Pburgh more than Pitt. You have to keep in mind that even outside of a city's main sphere of influence, its preferred abbreviations can still vary on a regional basis.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
In the Philadelphia Area, I've heard Pburgh more than Pitt. You have to keep in mind that even outside of a city's main sphere of influence, its preferred abbreviations can still vary on a regional basis.
Yes I've seen that when I was in Philadelphia too....I hated that! but there were few who used Pitt....NYC far and way it's Pitt.... No one in either city knew what PGH was with out the PA, and even then some still couldn't figure PGH out, but again you say Pitt or PIT they knew immediately that I was talking about Pittsburgh....

Old 11-27-2012, 02:52 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,901,124 times
Quote:
Because I'm an excellent, informed debater
Oh, really?

Quote:
MPLS is a universally used acronym
What is "MPLS" an acronym for?

Quote:
Everyone used listened to Ludacris can tell you ATL is Atlanta because the acronym has been pop cultured...
And what is "ATL" an acronym for? (And I won't even go into the rest of this "sentence.")

Old 11-27-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
you say Pitt or PIT they knew immediately that I was talking about Pittsburgh....
When you say PIT, people know what you're talking about because they think "Pitt." Put "PIT" into print, and a lot of people will be just plain confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh