Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 07:49 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I have seen them out there cleaning the mess. They didn't look like they were from the neighborhood, which was interesting. I thanked them as I rode by on my bike and told them it looked great. Sadly, a week later it looks similar to before they started. East Liberty has been litter filled for one heck of a lot of time.
No, it is pretty much all residents that participate. This was a joint effort between the Pulse members from Stanton Ave and the residents who live South of Stanton. There's more litter on the lower blocks in Highland Park than in East Liberty lately. Mainly because there was a "red up zone" designated in that part of East Lib. That just means that the city provides bags, gloves, pick up services, etc as long as enough of the residents participate.

The tree planters are mostly from outside the neighborhood. Tree Pittsburgh has a very strong following of people who enjoy planting trees in all areas. I've helped on half a dozen plantings in Highland Park and East Liberty. I've also helped with canvasing to get neighbors to sign up for free trees. Last round there were about 50 south of Stanton. Next week it'll be about 60 west of Negley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 08:27 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Were they wearing traditional Inca costume? Sporting Cleveland Browns gear? Looking at GPS units like they were lost?
When I saw 20 or so college aged white kids in a group in East Liberty, I of course thought they were from out of town. Of course maybe you think that blends in that area. Sure bud.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:51 AM

85 posts, read 519,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
This is why I don't think East Liberty is ready to be recommended as a place to live to anyone but urban pioneers .

It's a visit during the daytime sort of place for most people at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Agreed. I'm there pretty frequently. Its still pretty shaky at night
Just because they revitalized doesn't mean the people who commit crimes in those areas disappear into thin air.

Same thing happening in Homestead even with the Waterfront there. All those Benz's and BMW's in the parking lot, all sitting ducks.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:19 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
When I saw 20 or so college aged white kids in a group in East Liberty, I of course thought they were from out of town. Of course maybe you think that blends in that area. Sure bud.
The portion of East Liberty on the east side of South Negley (excepting Enright Court) has always been majority white. Most of the SFH portions north of Penn Circle are around 1/3rd white. Really only the two complexes along Penn Avenue and the stuff back behind Target is 90%+ black.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:22 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannythekid View Post
Just because they revitalized doesn't mean the people who commit crimes in those areas disappear into thin air.

Same thing happening in Homestead even with the Waterfront there. All those Benz's and BMW's in the parking lot, all sitting ducks.
I still think East Liberty has a long way to go. When was the last time there was 4 murders in a year in Squirrel Hill

Old 04-03-2013, 12:23 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannythekid View Post

Also, I lived in Homestead when I was young. Homestead never revitalized itself. It got lucky and had a suburban mall place in an urban ghetto, with strong police presence.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:58 PM

3 posts, read 4,010 times
Uptown Kid are there any areas that you'd recommend I avoid walking through during the day? I'm a 20-something male who has lived in and around the city all my life but I recently found out I will be getting a job transfer in the fall so I'm trying to take in as much of the city as I can before I leave, namely by doing self-guided walking tours of areas I've never been to (especially places that get mentioned on this site a lot...just checked out Hamnett Place last week, for example).

In East Liberty I've walked N. St Clair, Hays, Chislett day and night and never felt threatened, even realizing that some of the folks I was passing didn't seem to be up to any good. I've walked through parts of Mt. Oliver, Knoxville, and Allentown without garnering so much as a second glance despite being one of the only white people around. However last week I walked the Hill from Sugar Top, down Milwaukee, across Herron and down Bedford all the way to town and for the first time in the city I felt a little uneasy. It just seemed like a lot of the people I passed took a couple extra seconds to stare at me and process that they were seeing a nerdy white boy walking through their 'hood. This was from about 5-7 pm, I made sure to get out before darkness fell.

I don't fear much for violent crime/getting shot, as others have stated rarely does an innocent white person get caught up in that, but I would like to keep my wallet and my phone if at all possible and I try avoid direct encounters with people roaming the streets as much as possible, although I'll often acknowledge someone working in their yard or hanging out on their porch. Would you advise against taking such a tour of Homewood? I'm interested in the reformation of Race Street in particular. Would I be okay on a Sat afternoon walking a loop of Frankstown to Race?

What about Larimer? I drove past their rainwater management exhibit and would love to check that out and have a look at some of the community gardens and maybe get a picture from the top of one of those bridges over Washington Boulevard. I also plan to walk Hazelwood including the route Sylvan Ave used to take (I believe it's a "greenway" now)
Lastly in Perry South there are some staircases near Melrose/Irwin and the street view of O Hern Street definitely is inviting me to take a walk down it!

Old 04-03-2013, 02:05 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The portion of East Liberty on the east side of South Negley (excepting Enright Court) has always been majority white. Most of the SFH portions north of Penn Circle are around 1/3rd white. Really only the two complexes along Penn Avenue and the stuff back behind Target is 90%+ black.
Gah. I mean the stuff on the west side of South Negley...the area around the Sharp Edge. People always think of that as a slightly run down part of Friendship, but it's technically in East Liberty.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:37 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.M.Bigelow View Post
Uptown Kid are there any areas that you'd recommend I avoid walking through during the day? I'm a 20-something male who has lived in and around the city all my life but I recently found out I will be getting a job transfer in the fall so I'm trying to take in as much of the city as I can before I leave, namely by doing self-guided walking tours of areas I've never been to (especially places that get mentioned on this site a lot...just checked out Hamnett Place last week, for example).

In East Liberty I've walked N. St Clair, Hays, Chislett day and night and never felt threatened, even realizing that some of the folks I was passing didn't seem to be up to any good. I've walked through parts of Mt. Oliver, Knoxville, and Allentown without garnering so much as a second glance despite being one of the only white people around. However last week I walked the Hill from Sugar Top, down Milwaukee, across Herron and down Bedford all the way to town and for the first time in the city I felt a little uneasy. It just seemed like a lot of the people I passed took a couple extra seconds to stare at me and process that they were seeing a nerdy white boy walking through their 'hood. This was from about 5-7 pm, I made sure to get out before darkness fell.

I don't fear much for violent crime/getting shot, as others have stated rarely does an innocent white person get caught up in that, but I would like to keep my wallet and my phone if at all possible and I try avoid direct encounters with people roaming the streets as much as possible, although I'll often acknowledge someone working in their yard or hanging out on their porch. Would you advise against taking such a tour of Homewood? I'm interested in the reformation of Race Street in particular. Would I be okay on a Sat afternoon walking a loop of Frankstown to Race?

What about Larimer? I drove past their rainwater management exhibit and would love to check that out and have a look at some of the community gardens and maybe get a picture from the top of one of those bridges over Washington Boulevard. I also plan to walk Hazelwood including the route Sylvan Ave used to take (I believe it's a "greenway" now)
Lastly in Perry South there are some staircases near Melrose/Irwin and the street view of O Hern Street definitely is inviting me to take a walk down it!
-You should drive around Race Street... Yet if you walk, be on high alert... It's pretty dicey and if you felt uneasy on Bedford, at best you'd feel uneasy on Race Street. Race Street is the worst street in UpTown Homewood, and probably one of the worst non project streets in the Burgh. If it's warm outside definitely don't walk there on a Saturday afternoon.
-Larimer is rough and is one hood where they actually try to intimidate you if they don't know you. It's not unbearably hostile like in Compton, but if your walking and encounter a gang member or common criminal they will mean mug you until you pass by. For example, I was walking around Larimer minding my own business, and some thugs chillin on the porch starred me down & murmured something to eachother simply because they didn't recognize me as a person from their neighborhood... That's just one incident... Yet that's probably the worst response you will get.
-Hazelwood & Perry Hilltop are also rough places where you better watch your back, but you should be fine, at worst you'll get mean mugged and you probably won't actually get mugged. Yet you are going through the safe/empty streets in those areas so you should have no problems while enjoying the views.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Also, I lived in Homestead when I was young. Homestead never revitalized itself. It got lucky and had a suburban mall place in an urban ghetto, with strong police presence.
How are the businesses doing on Main Street in Munhall these days?

Are they still just low rent sleazy type businesses? Or are more trendy places opening up?

I haven't been over that way in a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh