Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 06:15 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,380,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
As for this shooting, the only reason people reacted is because a baby was killed this time around.
True, like you said the baby part plays a huge role.

While IMO this is just as bad as if not worse than other highly locally telivised gang-related shootings where multiple unintended targets were hit. For example, recently: when the grandmother, cheering on her grandson at a peewee football game, got killed by a stray bullet in East Liberty among others being wounded resulting from feuding gang members from Wilkinsburg north and south of Penn Ave or when the Edgewood Towne Centre old western-style fiasco that injured three people occurred, resulting from a feud between Braddock and Wilkinsburg... Despite being in two neutral locations those shooting occurred, which was to many (including both police & politicians) abnormal, horrific & inflammatory/intolerable. Though when a car full of gang bangers jumped out & started firing into a crowd of East Hills residents at random... Regardless of the baby, that sounds like mini-terrorism!
This is 2013 not 1993, where gang-related incidents (even in the body bag) typically tend not to occur at that magnitude! The story sounds pretty bad to me and IMO it's the worst local gang-related story that I can recall since ones 2008 or 2010 when gangs feuded twice as violently as they have this year; otherwise there was one I can vaguely remember in the early 2000's when a Homewood teen fatally stabbed his best friend in broad daylight because the set thought he was "snitchin" on other members of their gang...

Last edited by Uptown kid; 05-23-2013 at 07:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 09:41 PM

Default Avoid the Larimer, Lincoln-Lemington, Homewood, East Hills Apts, Central Wilkinsburg Area Like a Plauge

In the past two weeks there have been over a dozen potentially gang related/connected shootings in Garfield, Larimer, Lincoln-Lemington, Homewood, the East Hills Apts, and Central Wilkinsburg... The violence even spilled over into Shadyside's Mellon Park on the Saturday night when "Eastside Day," was held.

1 Death After Homewood Shooting « CBS Pittsburgh
- Broad day, gangland shooting in "Uptown Homewood"

Man Shot Multiple Times In East Liberty « CBS Pittsburgh
-man shot in Larimer...Yet he was shot multiple times in a popular park full of people, and still no arrest

Police Probe Fatal Shooting In Larimer « CBS Pittsburgh
-killed in "L-Block," Lowell Street where a woman was first county homicide in January

Shots fired at Mellon Park, police also investigate Homewood shooting | TribLIVE
shooting in "Uptown Homewood" coincidentally after skirmish between Homewood and Wilkinsburg gangs at Mellon Park

2 Injured In Homewood Drive-By Shooting « CBS Pittsburgh
-third body bag shooting of the day, this time in the Downtown Homewood's infamous Susquehanna Avenue aka the S.Q. ... Coincidentally occurred less than an hour after Mellon Park shooting...

Authorities Respond To Shooting, Fire In East Hills « CBS Pittsburgh
-third shooting in 24 hours in the East Hills

Homewood man tells police of abduction, escape from car trunk | TribLIVE
-Homewood man kidnapped in East Hills

Gunman Reportedly Escapes After Shooting Incident In Lincoln-Lemington « CBS Pittsburgh
-shooting in notorious row house block of Lower Lincoln

2 injured in spate of overnight shootings in Homewood, Lincoln-Lemington | TribLIVE
-two shootings in Uptown Homewood, one in Downtown Homewood, one in Lower Lincoln... All broad daylight

Possible rivalries involved: Larimer Avenue Hoods vs Lincoln Avenue Crips; Lincoln Avenue Crips vs Homewood's Crip sets (excluding the Dallas Park area & Uptown Brushton-Hilltop area groups), East Hills Bloods vs Homewood's Crips, Uptown Homewood (excluding the Brushton-Hilltop groups) vs Uptown-Trillside Wilkinsburg Hoods

Last edited by Uptown kid; 08-27-2013 at 09:58 PM..

Old 08-28-2013, 07:30 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
What is the homicide count this year? It seems like it is going to be higher than normal. It is interesting how the trend of more homicides is moving to the suburbs and gentrification happens more in the city. Of course those homicides are pretty much in areas like McKees Rocks, Wilkinsburg, East Hills and Penn Hills, so it isn't like the nicer suburbs are changing much.

Anyone have a thought as to why the homicide rate is higher this year? I have a feeling it has to do with so much publicity following the stand your ground crap in Florida. It just seems to me that got many people more angry as a whole in the communities that have tons of gun violence. People were glued to that case as if it was white against black or some odd thing like that. Heck even the media called the Hispanic shooter white half the time. Odd stuff.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:37 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
What is the homicide count this year? It seems like it is going to be higher than normal. It is interesting how the trend of more homicides is moving to the suburbs and gentrification happens more in the city. Of course those homicides are pretty much in areas like McKees Rocks, Wilkinsburg, East Hills and Penn Hills, so it isn't like the nicer suburbs are changing much.
It was well-noted that 2012 was the first year in a long time (maybe ever?) that homicides in the suburbs outpaced homicides in the city. As the cost-of-living is steadily increasing in the city proper from "dirt cheap" to "average" by national norms, a lot of the troublemakers are being priced out of their rentals in places like the East End and are moving to Penn Hills, Verona, Monroeville, Turtle Creek, Duquesne, McKeesport, East McKeesport, and East Pittsburgh, where rent is still relatively cheap. The trouble is simply following them out there. I believe McKeesport has had 7 homicides so far in 2013 (if you include the two who were found shot in a crashed vehicle the other day). I know McKeesport hasn't been a nice place to live for a very long time, but has that city ever been this violent in recent memory, especially considering they'll likely have a few more murders before the end of the year?

Quote:
Anyone have a thought as to why the homicide rate is higher this year? I have a feeling it has to do with so much publicity following the stand your ground crap in Florida. It just seems to me that got many people more angry as a whole in the communities that have tons of gun violence. People were glued to that case as if it was white against black or some odd thing like that. Heck even the media called the Hispanic shooter white half the time. Odd stuff.
Eh. I don't want to derail this thread, but, sadly, I tend to agree with you. Many in the African-American community are still grinding an ax over the Trayvon Martin case. Not long ago at a restaurant in Squirrel Hill the local news was on one of their televisions. A story came on about that professor couple that was originally from our area who was slain in their Nebraska home. An African-American younger male near me said, bluntly, "that's for Trayvon!" while I just shook my head in disbelief. So a Hispanic kills an African-American in self-defense, and now African-Americans hate whites even more?

This country is never going to resolve its race issues.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:06 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I tend to agree with you. Many in the African-American community are still grinding an ax over the Trayvon Martin case. Not long ago at a restaurant in Squirrel Hill the local news was on one of their televisions. A story came on about that professor couple that was originally from our area who was slain in their Nebraska home. An African-American younger male near me said, bluntly, "that's for Trayvon!" while I just shook my head in disbelief. So a Hispanic kills an African-American in self-defense, and now African-Americans hate whites even more?

This country is never going to resolve its race issues.
Most agree with me.

Anyway, are you sure you heard them say, "that's for Trayvon"? If so, that is pretty sick to be honest, but it doesn't surprise me these days. There is something in the air and it isn't good.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:17 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,883 times
What is east side day?

I was riding my bike through Mellon park that evening and knew something bad was going to happen. Same thing last year when somebody was shot there during a rap video filming.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:48 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times
Quote:
Homicides - Allegheny County, Pa.
Its not fully updated but here's the post gazettes county. To me, its much LOWER than normal. Other years by this time is 75, 80, or even approaching 100 for the county. 60 is a little below average if anything. I think the news has been reporting more shooting stories for sure, but less have been homicides I guess.

I agree completely with the crime moving to the inner suburbs. Some of those areas mentioned may look as bad as the Hill District used to look in ~5 to 10 years.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:22 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Homicides - Allegheny County, Pa.
Its not fully updated but here's the post gazettes county. To me, its much LOWER than normal. Other years by this time is 75, 80, or even approaching 100 for the county. 60 is a little below average if anything. I think the news has been reporting more shooting stories for sure, but less have been homicides I guess.

I agree completely with the crime moving to the inner suburbs. Some of those areas mentioned may look as bad as the Hill District used to look in ~5 to 10 years.
Wow, only 60. That is much less than I was expecting. Guess I am falling for the stupid hyped up media myself. You really need to do your own research I guess. Thanks. At least that crap is going in the right direction.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:53 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times
Quote:
Wow, only 60. That is much less than I was expecting. Guess I am falling for the stupid hyped up media myself. You really need to do your own research I guess. Thanks. At least that crap is going in the right direction.
No problem. I hate buying into media crap myself; but I still consider 60 far too many. Especially the fact that they are creeping slowly towards where I bought my first house.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
What is east side day?

I was riding my bike through Mellon park that evening and knew something bad was going to happen. Same thing last year when somebody was shot there during a rap video filming.
Eastside Day is a barbeque social targeted for people from Garfield, East Liberty, Larimer, Lincoln-Lemington, Homewood, East Hills and Wilkinsburg (and L-ville, Stanton Heights, Point Breeze North, Highland Park to a lesser degree). Yet anyone from anywhere can come and enjoy the food & fellowship in neutral territory. I went to the last one and despite the several recent shooting incidents, there will be Eastside Day part 2 tommorow.

The reason why the homicide count is down is because a lot of last year's feuding has been surpressed. As a result of recent shootings in the East End, McKeesport, and the Hill, numbers could shoot back up again very quickly. So only time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh