Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 11:04 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,381,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Isn't the spot where this most recent incident happened isolated in a way from the actual part of the neighborhood though? Such a shame to see this happen in a neighborhood which has always been pretty stable.
Still SE BH has specific blocks where it's no longer a place to go jogging alone at odd times in the night and the area is now becoming a place to think twice about moving into for a middle class family who can afford to move elsewhere.

On the other side for people who can no longer afford to live in: Lower North Side, Lower Hill, Western Wilkinsburg, East Liberty, Garfield, Lawrenceville, the South Side, the Strip, Oakland or Uptown, Brighton Heights might become more of an option soon. Now that: the Southern Hilltop areas, the greater West End/Stowe Rocks, parts of Penn Hills/Woodland Hills/East Allegheny suburbs, most of Sugar Top, most of Marshall-Shadeland, etc are what they are... Places like Bellvue, Brighton Heights, Observatory Hill, the East Allegheny suburbs, West Mifflin, the Munhall area, the Sharpsburg area, northern Brentwood, are areas where various types of young families without much inheritance are going to move into. In the 80's, 90's and up until the mid-late 2000's this would have certainly been the other way around for the green and the purple
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 11:24 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,103,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Isn't the spot where this most recent incident happened isolated in a way from the actual part of the neighborhood though? Such a shame to see this happen in a neighborhood which has always been pretty stable.
It was on a highway, Route 65 or Killer 65 as it's known for traffic accidents. The shooting wasn't near any houses. It would be like labeling as happening in West View if the scene of the crime was on I279.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:28 AM

325 posts, read 323,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Wow. Brighton Heights is now tied with Homewood for having the highest number of homicides in the city so far in 2016. Definitely seems to point to a trend of the criminal elements being pushed into the outer neighborhoods as the urban core continues to rapidly gentrify.
exactly why I say the north side is scarier than penn hills.. just look at the numbers 8 murders in that area this year alone.. The lower part of north side is gorgeous but you have a lot of drunks and bums walking through it from downtown and panhandling at the games... I went around at my job which is a large local hospital asking them about the north side.. and almost everyone said they would NEVER live there... the media has really made this place scary.. also if you live you have to use that NASTY 7-11 on western and also a nasty giant eagle. sorry I love the Victorians but this neighborhood is so overhyped on these forums it is insane

Old 06-03-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Still SE BH has specific blocks where it's no longer a place to go jogging alone at odd times in the night and the area is now becoming a place to think twice about moving into for a middle class family who can afford to move elsewhere.

On the other side for people who can no longer afford to live in: Lower North Side, Lower Hill, Western Wilkinsburg, East Liberty, Garfield, Lawrenceville, the South Side, the Strip, Oakland or Uptown, Brighton Heights might become more of an option soon. Now that: the Southern Hilltop areas, the greater West End/Stowe Rocks, parts of Penn Hills/Woodland Hills/East Allegheny suburbs, most of Sugar Top, most of Marshall-Shadeland, etc are what they are... Places like Bellvue, Brighton Heights, Observatory Hill, the East Allegheny suburbs, West Mifflin, the Munhall area, the Sharpsburg area, northern Brentwood, are areas where various types of young families without much inheritance are going to move into. In the 80's, 90's and up until the mid-late 2000's this would have certainly been the other way around for the green and the purple
I respect your knowledge but I live here (Brighton Hts) and we know exactly where the problems are, and where they stem from. The South East corner where Fleming, Massachusetts, and Kalorama heads downhill is the area of concern. There are no other areas of BH I would consider problematic. It is not a street by street thing. The shooting outside of Zangaroo's last winter was the result of some interaction that started inside of the bar and moved to the street. That bar is and was a nuisance bar that has got to go. Well known drug bar, I can't figure out why it's still open, they must be connected. The rest of the BS we deal with is the traffic from Shadeland, they don't even live in BH, just come up to break into cars and steal people's loose change.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:40 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,884,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
You could probably let out something like 80% of violent criminals around age 35 if public safety, not retribution, was your main concern. Most people who are involved in the criminal life in their teens and 20s are basically going through a phase, and become boring middle-class adults (albeit ones with few marketable skills in the work world).
If someone hasn't shown otherwise by their behavior in prison then I'd have no problem with that. (Depending on the initial firearm crime of course). Since guns themselves are never going to removed it's much easier to send the individuals away who feel compelled to use them in illegal ways instead of our current system of treating firearm violations with kiddy gloves until the person actually shoots someone. I don't see how anyone could have a problem with such a policy.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:46 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
If someone hasn't shown otherwise by their behavior in prison then I'd have no problem with that. (Depending on the initial firearm crime of course). Since guns themselves are never going to removed it's much easier to send the individuals away who feel compelled to use them in illegal ways instead of our current system of treating firearm violations with kiddy gloves until the person actually shoots someone. I don't see how anyone could have a problem with such a policy.
It is mind boggling how some could have such a problem with such a policy. Then again, it's mostly the same people who feel the criminals are being treated unfairly and the police who do their job are the criminals. Certainly makes no sense.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:54 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,038,833 times
Quote:
This article from 2012 is a good primer on the issue of the elderly in prison. Some choice statistics.

Quote:
Keeping thousands of old men locked away might make sense to die-hards seeking maximum retribution or politicians seeking political cover, but it has little effect on public safety. By age 50, people are far less likely to commit serious crimes. "Arrest rates drop to 2 percent," explains Hood, the retired federal warden. "They are almost nil at the age of 65." The arrest rate for 16-to-19-year-olds, by contrast, runs around 12 percent.

Once released, therefore, the vast majority of the older prisoners never return. Data from New York state, for example, tracked 469 inmates who were originally sentenced for violent crimes and were later released as senior citizens—over a 13-year period, just 8 of those former inmates went back to prison, and only 1 went back for a violent offense. "The mass incarceration of the elderly is an example of our criminal justice system at its most heartless and its most irrational," says David Fathi, director of the ACLU's National Prison Project. "Most such prisoners are long past their crime-prone years and pose little to no public safety risk."

Old 06-03-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Obviously merely selling something that ends up being used in a crime (would be very difficult to be a fertilizer dealer for example) would never work, but yea, don't follow the regulations & you should certainly be sent away.
I meant selling by questionable means, to a felon, underage kid etc. Straw purchases/exchanges.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:31 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,884,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
I meant selling by questionable means, to a felon, underage kid etc. Straw purchases/exchanges.
Yea, get rid of them too for a long time. Just as complicit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh