Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 10:15 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Now for me owning a car is mostly for weekend use to get outside of the city. Since I work with Horses I sometimes need to be able to get into some areas where snow and rough country are a bigger concern. If it were not for that I could get by where I live without a car at all. I have all of the shopping I need within a 3 mile radius and my job as well. Busses run regularly where I am too so I can get pretty much anywhere in the city that way.
Wait, does this mean you work with horses in the city, in a place with easy bus access? Can I ask roughly where? I grew up around horses and would love to get back into it eventually, but I thought my closest option from the Northside was over in Ben Avon. (Sorry for the thread hijack, just really curious...)

Old 07-19-2017, 10:18 AM

684 posts, read 419,644 times
Subaru, or if you want inexpensive go with an older Jeep Cherokee (late 90's, etc.) Bulletproof and will go anywhere.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:32 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,590,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
Wait, does this mean you work with horses in the city, in a place with easy bus access? Can I ask roughly where? I grew up around horses and would love to get back into it eventually, but I thought my closest option from the Northside was over in Ben Avon. (Sorry for the thread hijack, just really curious...)
LOL no

I live in Squirrel South/Greenfield and work for Pitt. But in my former life I was a horse trainer and farrier and I still do some work with horses on my "days off". For the horse stuff I need a car because I travel all over the area. Saltsburg, Plum, Apollo, Wexford, Freedom, Bridgeville, Hickory, South Park and so on...Sometimes I spend an entire weekend traveling to barns to give pedicures to ponies.

If you like to ride and can't afford to own a horse or get to a barn regularly you can go down to Bridgeville to Rolling Hills Ranch. They rent horses for hour trail rides from May to November. I think the current rate is $30/hr

Old 07-19-2017, 11:56 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,533,449 times
Quote:
LOL no

I live in Squirrel South/Greenfield and work for Pitt. But in my former life I was a horse trainer and farrier and I still do some work with horses on my "days off". For the horse stuff I need a car because I travel all over the area. Saltsburg, Plum, Apollo, Wexford, Freedom, Bridgeville, Hickory, South Park and so on...Sometimes I spend an entire weekend traveling to barns to give pedicures to ponies.

If you like to ride and can't afford to own a horse or get to a barn regularly you can go down to Bridgeville to Rolling Hills Ranch. They rent horses for hour trail rides from May to November. I think the current rate is $30/hr
Great to hear that Rolling Hills is still operating. Spent many days there riding the horses. Great place.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:27 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
A SUV or a car is a personal preference. Some people just prefer to sit up high. Subarus are great if you want an AWD car.

No need to buy a new car for Pittsburgh. Maybe buy four snow tires and see how it goes the first year.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:37 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Another vote or Subaru here. A lot of people recommend snow tires, but I can't imagine storing and changing four tires every winter and spring...even less so for a two car family.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:43 PM

684 posts, read 419,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Another vote or Subaru here. A lot of people recommend snow tires, but I can't imagine storing and changing four tires every winter and spring...even less so for a two car family.
Sorry, snow tires are the absolute best thing you can do for better traction in winter. If you only do one thing, this should be it.

Old 07-19-2017, 12:46 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
Sorry, snow tires are the absolute best thing you can do for better traction in winter. If you only do one thing, this should be it.
I don't disagree, it just isn't practical or cost-effective for everyone. Where is an apartment-dweller going to store 4-8 tires? Do you have four extra rims too, or do you have to take the tires in for mounting each time? If so, how are you transporting four tires to the tire shop?

Old 07-19-2017, 04:14 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
Quote:
I have a Subaru and it is my second. I have gotten around just fine in assorted other 2 and 4 wheel drive vehicles but hands down the Subie is my favorite. The only one that made me nervous was a little Hyundai accent that was just too lightweight to be able to grip the road well with more than a dusting of snow. Not just for snow but it also really handles the heavy rain water ponding on the roads and highways issues we often get. I have yet to hydroplane in a Subaru.

Now for me owning a car is mostly for weekend use to get outside of the city. Since I work with Horses I sometimes need to be able to get into some areas where snow and rough country are a bigger concern. If it were not for that I could get by where I live without a car at all. I have all of the shopping I need within a 3 mile radius and my job as well. Busses run regularly where I am too so I can get pretty much anywhere in the city that way.

As above posters noted it might be best to figure out where you expect to live before deciding what kind and how much care you need to invest in.

I have the complete opposite opinion an the Hyundai accent. I was working at presby hospital during the last blizzard, i left at 4am and made it to my house without the least bit of worry. The snow was up to the front bumper at the time. I left my 4x4 truck at home because i was an idiot, but the accent was unbelievable.

I just bought my wife a new outlander sport awd, i cant wait to try it this winter.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:17 PM

271 posts, read 332,180 times
10th vote (approximately) for Subaru and its great AWF. They have a good leasing program this time of year with sign and drive/$0 down (at least they did last year at this time), and you can get a Forester for about $300 per month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh