Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 03:51 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I have been here longer than most and couldn't imagine driving a Subaru, but I am a driver. I you are an A to B type of person and could care less what you drive, then I agree a Subaru is probably for you. If you want braking, handling and real surefooted driving, then I would look at an Audi. That is what I drive and mine is rather excessive, but I light my cigars with my $100's. You always want good handling, braking and maneuverability with all the texting millennials out there. Subaru is fine if you are super slow and make sure you don't need to avoid anything, but look at Audi A4 or the like. I am in a different class, but you will need over $70K for my car and that isn't for everyone. I feel safety is important to spend that much. Good luck.
An A4 is nothing special, especially if it's a 2.0 motor. It's mostly a glorified VW with AWD that can be bought for less than $40K. If you put $30k in extras you should've started with a real sports/performance car. A Subaru WRX will smoke your A4.

Last edited by erieguy; 07-22-2017 at 04:05 PM..

Old 07-22-2017, 07:26 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
An A4 is nothing special, especially if it's a 2.0 motor. It's mostly a glorified VW with AWD that can be bought for less than $40K. If you put $30k in extras you should've started with a real sports/performance car. A Subaru WRX will smoke your A4.

As usual you are trolling, but that is what you do. I suggested an A4 because I can tell the OP doesn't have much money. It is much better than a Subaru, which is the car that is suggested. Oh and I don't have an A4, my Audi has over 400hp, so a POS WRX isn't in my league. Way to keep your trolling going though. You must really have an in to never get an infraction with your never-ending trolls, but what ever.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
As usual you are trolling, but that is what you do. I suggested an A4 because I can tell the OP doesn't have much money. It is much better than a Subaru, which is the car that is suggested. Oh and I don't have an A4, my Audi has over 400hp, so a POS WRX isn't in my league. Way to keep your trolling going though. You must really have an in to never get an infraction with your never-ending trolls, but what ever.
Actually, I'm giving factual information, but an A4 with $70k invested to reach 400hp is interesting.

For those not having "much money", VW offers AWD in a car again. Much of the same as an A4 for much less money.

Also, you can buy a stock WRX with 305hp for less than an A4. That car can be modded for far less than $30k to increase horsepower if one wanted more. Stock vs stock or modded vs modded, the WRX will still smoke an A4.

Last edited by erieguy; 07-22-2017 at 07:43 PM..

Old 07-22-2017, 08:05 PM
gg

Subarus are tin cans and not compatible to a German Audi. I DON'T have an A4. DON'T!!!! Again, my car is very expensive and over 400hp. My A4 has been sold for a long time. I have my Audi and Porsche now. Both by the way are great in the snow.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Subarus are tin cans and not compatible to a German Audi. I DON'T have an A4. DON'T!!!! Again, my car is very expensive and over 400hp. My A4 has been sold for a long time. I have my Audi and Porsche now. Both by the way are great in the snow.
You've recently said in prior posts here that you have an A4.

A WRX is superior to a German Audi A4, especially with a piddly 2.0 motor.

400hp is almost no big deal in the world of today's vehicles.

Last edited by erieguy; 07-22-2017 at 08:24 PM..

Old 07-23-2017, 06:16 AM
gg

Old 07-23-2017, 06:25 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
Quote:

Okay so lets look at cost to drive.

How much is the insurance on that car?
How much does an oil change cost?
How about repair costs? What does a brake job cost?
What sort of gas milage does it get?
How reliable? How long will it last?

My 2013 Subie
Full coverage clean driver record, around $90/month
$50
Have not needed anything fixed yet. Was about $200 for the last scheduled maintenance
40 mpg this trip on the highway. 27.4 mpg around town.
My last subie was 18 years old and had 205k on it when I traded it in. Still running despite some minor lifter damage due to a failed timing belt.

Not everyone cares about having the baddest and fastest and most expensive car on the street. Not everyone needs 400 hp to make them feel good about driving. In fact I think someone unaccustomed to driving in snow and ice and on our kind of roads probably should not drive something that can go fast in a microsecond.

Is the car safe? Is it worth the price? Will it get you where you need to go and back again reliably?

Do you like it and enjoy it.

I am glad you enjoy your muscle cars GG. Those are really great cars. But they are not for everyone and those of use who chose other cars are not somehow lesser beings than yourself.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:14 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Okay so lets look at cost to drive.

How much is the insurance on that car?
How much does an oil change cost?
How about repair costs? What does a brake job cost?
What sort of gas milage does it get?
How reliable? How long will it last?

My 2013 Subie
Full coverage clean driver record, around $90/month
$50
Have not needed anything fixed yet. Was about $200 for the last scheduled maintenance
40 mpg this trip on the highway. 27.4 mpg around town.
My last subie was 18 years old and had 205k on it when I traded it in. Still running despite some minor lifter damage due to a failed timing belt.
This is a great post and I agree with you for the most part.

How much is the insurance on that car? $600 a year

How much does an oil change cost? $20 plus oil, so total cost is going to be around $70, but that is because I have a friend that is a mechanic. I could also change it myself, but I am getting to the point I don't want to deal with it. lol

How about repair costs? My last Audi had over 150K on it and it gave me no issues that entire time. Sure the fuel pump went, but that wasn't expensive and it is easy to change out.

What does a brake job cost? Well it is about $750 for the parts, but my car has some pretty huge brakes which makes it safer. I am thinking I can get a brake job done for around $900. Yes, that is expensive, BUT I get over 50K miles on a set of brakes, so is it really that much?

What sort of gas milage does it get? I am getting around 28mpg combined. Yeah, it isn't as good as my old A4, but damn this car is wicked fast and fun.

How reliable? How long will it last? I think all cars have improved to the point this isn't really a concern anymore. We can thank Japan for raising the bar, but all car manufactures have followed them up. Audis are super reliable since around the late 90's. Lots of people with well over 300K miles still driving them around.

If I was in a lower price range, I would look at a Subaru, but I just would end up with a used German car. Once you start driving them, I think you are only going to buy them from then on, unless you just don't car about the driving experience at all. Here is a list of AWD cars under 35K.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/tip...der-35000.html

Old 07-23-2017, 08:29 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,791 times
The number one most important thing for driving in snow/ice is the experience of the driver in those conditions. The number two are good tires. Outside of some low to the ground and unbalanced RWD sports cars, the vehicle is a distant third. My advice is to make an attempt to drive in an open parking lot in snow and ice conditions and get a feel for the limits of your vehicle. Arguing between a Subaru and an Audi is fruitless if you are too afraid to drive or don't know what you are doing.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:38 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Just about everyone on my street has crossovers - smaller SUVs - myself included. I have a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport AWD. I like crossovers because I think they give you the best of both worlds. I like the visibility you have from riding a little higher, they're not as big as standard SUVs so they get better mileage, and they ride more like a regular car. On my street there are two Subarus, two Santa Fe Sports, a Nissan Rogue, and a Toyota Rav 4. Completely unscientific survey, but anecdotal evidence of the kind of cars that do well on Pittsburgh roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh