Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 06:26 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,194,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
Two additional thoughts upon which to ruminate:

From Tom Friedman's column today:

It has been obvious ever since Trump first ran for president that many of his core supporters actually hate the people who hate Trump, more than they care about Trump or any particular action he takes, no matter how awful.

From a Politico round table interview with four Republican political consultants:

[Ted Roe, Ted Cruz's campaign manager, criticizing the fact that the focus of the Democratic National Convention was on Trump rather than policy]

Like, they can’t get over it that people might not care as much about what his personal character is, they care about what he gets done and the economic conditions they’re in. And I think it’s a huge mistake. I don’t think they can ever say what they’re for because their party is so split on what they’re for.
Quite the assumptions, however, sounds like that would work for both parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 01:57 PM

69 posts, read 26,609 times
I favor a third party. One for the people instead of the two party that puts people against one another while they rob them blind.

Old 09-09-2020, 02:17 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Bwahahahaa.....welcome to my world! I drive past them every day and think, "what could possibly be going through these peoples' minds?" I will say, though, that I see a surprising amount of Sean Parnell signs in Mt. Lebanon. I don't remember ever seeing one for Keith Rothfus. That's not a good omen for Conor.
Conor Lamb and the Lamb Clan relatives all hail from Mount Lebanon for years. So the plethora of signs has much to do with the local boy support. Many Lebo moms have a crush on Conor. No joking.

Old 12-13-2020, 07:27 AM

3 posts, read 2,610 times
Default It is that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDC123 View Post
That was our opinion too, when we were looking to buy here. Majority of the people we meet seem friendly, but it ends there. Perhaps people on this forum are more well-travelled and open-minded.
Sadly, Sunset Hills is very backwards. People will be friendly, your absolutely correct. No one wants to be that person but most are. I know many who moved from ML. Can’t say I blamed them. But it’s not just SH too. DC and Va are far better for people who don’t just say hello or only talk to you when they need your to pitch in for something.

ML is just like the rest of Pittsburgh sadly, they just smile and put on face unlike other places where they are quite upfront.

Old 12-13-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanstarsmoon View Post
Sadly, Sunset Hills is very backwards. People will be friendly, your absolutely correct. No one wants to be that person but most are. I know many who moved from ML. Can’t say I blamed them. But it’s not just SH too. DC and Va are far better for people who don’t just say hello or only talk to you when they need your to pitch in for something.

ML is just like the rest of Pittsburgh sadly, they just smile and put on face unlike other places where they are quite upfront.
The poster you responded to said it seems friendly, but ends there, and you said people will be friendly.

Are you looking for best friends? What did they do wrong to you? With the huge amount of libs in the ML area that display their Biden signs, one would think they’d invite you into their homes.

Old 12-14-2020, 11:10 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,693,044 times
As update, I was surprised to see that Conor Lamb - Mount Lebanon's Golden Boy and Second Coming of Christ - almost lost to Sean Parnell. Not a good sign for 2022. Someone even took a billboard out on Banksville Road congratulating Lamb on his win. Anyway, I like Sunset Hills. No place is racist free but that area is pretty close.

Old 12-14-2020, 12:09 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,051,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanstarsmoon View Post

have you been out of this country? people are the same everywhere.

i blame media - not just the news, but everything - some commercials, entertainment, some pop music. it all reinforces negativity and being a bad ass tough guy. people are cold, mostly, nasty often, and quick to anger. this is just how it is.

it varies, of course from the immediate environment of a place. i am generalizing, but i still get actual nice human interaction w/ strangers in north hills shopping centers. normal, nice people, i mean, who can communicate without

1) making it about themself (like everyone in DC and northern VA)
2) having to center on a common enemy

Old 12-14-2020, 02:55 PM

Do people really expect someone to stop and talk to them while they’re walking/going somewhere and/or cross paths? Is that why some people need to live arms length or closer to their neighbors so they might get interaction with people?

It’s one thing to make conversation if people are amongst each other, but I can’t imagine expecting someone to stop and talk just because one wants/expects them to.

Old 12-14-2020, 08:29 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,051,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Do people really expect someone to stop and talk to them while they’re walking/going somewhere and/or cross paths? Is that why some people need to live arms length or closer to their neighbors so they might get interaction with people?

It’s one thing to make conversation if people are amongst each other, but I can’t imagine expecting someone to stop and talk just because one wants/expects them to.

with you, yes. your mom wants to know why you dont call, your boss thinks you are looking to bolt and leave them without notice, your kid thinks you have a habit, and your wife is worried you're getting some strange on the side.

we are an army of voyeurs....watching....lurking....watching, you.

Old 12-14-2020, 08:43 PM

755 posts, read 471,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post

My experience: this is learned and cultural. Live in a small town for a while, and you will soon learn that there is an expectation that you stop, lean in and listen. It took me a little while to lean this, but once I did I got along a whole lot better with my neighbors. Ironically, the closer you live to other people the less likely you are to engage. You need to have blinders to some extent since you see them so often. Otherwise you'd never get about your business!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh