Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2021, 07:31 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Lol. The Columbus nonsense is cancel culture, not R Kelly.
Once he was convicted, Youtube took down all of his music videos. If that's not canceling, I don't know what is.

Old 10-12-2021, 07:33 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Once he was convicted, Youtube took down all of his music videos. If that's not canceling, I don't know what is.
They must not be fans of rape and pedophilia…and as we’ve heard, “it’s their company, they can do whatever they want”.

Old 10-12-2021, 07:35 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
They must not be fans of pedophiles.
It's probably the right choice for Youtube, because he directly got money from Youtube views, and who wants to give a kiddie-diddler more money.

But you can't just define "cancel culture" as when people you don't think deserve to get canceled. Obviously it happens across the political spectrum, for both legitimate and illegitimated reasons.

Old 10-12-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
It's probably the right choice for Youtube, because he directly got money from Youtube views, and who wants to give a kiddie-diddler more money.

But you can't just define "cancel culture" as when people you don't think deserve to get canceled. Obviously it happens across the political spectrum, for both legitimate and illegitimated reasons.
I didn’t say it deserved to be canceled.

Old 10-12-2021, 09:09 AM

611 posts, read 365,493 times
Quote:
This thread is reminding me how I saw yesterday that R. Kelly's album sales increased 500% following his conviction.

It seems like every action these days by definition causes a counter-reaction - that if person X hates something, and you hate person X, than you must therefore love that thing.

Yep.

Old 10-12-2021, 02:34 PM

199 posts, read 84,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
So let's get real, shall we?

1. Columbus WAY back in the 1490's set sail and most thought he would land in Japan.
2. He not only didn't land in Japan he landed on an island no where near Japan.
3. He proved there was "the new world" by brining back proof.
4. He left settlers there that were all murdered when he returned.

Now he did indeed discover the new world. I don't think you have the concept of time. I suspect after around 1940, someone like you jumbles it altogether. I can assure you there is a huge difference in the 1400's to the 1900's to the point lives were not at all the same.

Anyway, I think it is time me trying to educate you to stop. You are so blinded by your NPR, NYT, CNN feed that history doesn't compute.

Good luck in fantasy land. It is a shame you don't read or understand real history. You have no idea why Pittsburgh had so many people from Scotland during its early years. It had the largest Presbyterian population of anywhere other than San Francisco per capita. Why? Ha, you have no idea. It is real history of real times. People like you walk back in time with a brain that has no tools of time. You act as though 1800 is 2020. It wasn't.

Read, read and read more about real happenings of our past. It is interesting.
Let’s read directly fro Columbus’ diary, shell we? Right from the horses mouth, no filters.

“ They would make fine servants … With fifty men we could subjugate them all and make them do whatever we want.”

Yeah, real stand up guy. Let’s build more statues if this guy!!

Old 10-12-2021, 02:49 PM

1,026 posts, read 447,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
Whoever celebrates it now will soon move their focus to Luke Perry Day. Exactly how many teenage girls in 1992 had a Christopher Columbus poster on their wall? Exactly...
Hmm, how soon will the NYC Columbus Day Parade become the Luke Perry Day Parade?

From yesterday, NYC has a great parade for Columbus and Italian American culture....last parade was 2019 of course.

https://youtu.be/C48kVF53IJs

Old 10-12-2021, 06:26 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Hmm, how soon will the NYC Columbus Day Parade become the Luke Perry Day Parade?

From yesterday, NYC has a great parade for Columbus and Italian American culture....last parade was 2019 of course.

https://youtu.be/C48kVF53IJs
Wow, thanks for sharing that. It really gives me hope for our country to see the crazy NYC actually enjoying Columbus Day like that! It was sorely needed, as I haven't been to NYC in 3 years and have been going there since 1987 yearly. That is a long run and I gave up on it. Maybe I will return someday.

Happy Columbus Day to all!

Old 10-12-2021, 07:21 PM

144 posts, read 158,893 times
I don’t live in Pittsburgh , Cleveland resident .
There’s been controversy here as well regarding Columbus Day or
indigenous day. It’s also national coming out day and my birthday . Move over Luke lol

The Cleveland Indians are now the guardians .I mention this for a reason. ( I’ll stop mentioning Cleveland even though the comparison and rivalry is unwarranted in 2021. Hello apple , I’m orange)

All this correctness is out of control. Nobody can say a word without offending somebody or a group. Comedians can’t make jokes without the threat of being cancelled. That’s their job. To poke fun at everyone. To feed the stereotypes and bring people together through laughter by mocking those stereotypes. Nothing is off limits . Again, that’s their job.

Im a middle age gay dude . I want respect from people because of the person I am . Not because I’m waving a rainbow flag. Things weren’t perfect growing up but many have had it a lot worse.
I don’t want laws passed to make people be nice to me. I want respect because I’m worth respecting . I want to respect another because they are worth it.

Crying about how life is unfair is pointless. No kidding. It’s called being alive. Some people have it easier than others, true. Some people are dealt a crap hand but chose to turn that turd into treasure lol.

Quit demanding apologizes and hurt feelings because of something you or your group went through many many many many years ago. When we scream at each other, nobody listens. Forcing a belief or idea on people never works. Feelings wont evolve. Animosity towards that minority grow even bigger.
It’s like being in grade school. Nobody likes the bully but the tattle tale is even more despised.

My point is this. Nobody should have to accept being treated as less than -but being the victim is played out because nowadays EVERYBODY is a victim. People have stopped responding to the non stop “ unfairness” of it all. the religious whining , race baiting, trans rights , conservative vs progressive , gay blah blah blah stuff is now counterproductive. We are exhausting ourselves with all of this.

If something bad or calculated is done to a group of people in 2021 there should be a consequence. Crying racism, sexism , homophobia when it’s not is not helping. Same goes for the religious freedom victimhood. If it’s really happening then make your voice heard.
Or are you Karen because you don’t like something that’s non of your business?
Whining about everything all the time has to stop.

I’m not asking for anyone to agree but I’d like respect for my opinion even if it’s different than yours. We are allowed to disagree.

I find most people to have common sense and common ground. You’d think we were all nuts by what’s represented on the news . That goes for everyone who is extreme . One extreme isn’t better than the other. It’s both an extreme.

Old 10-12-2021, 07:28 PM

^^^^
Bingo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh