Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:47 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,010,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I thought this was funny or hmm...odd. What does weather have to do with the size of a city!?
So it turns out there are lots of smaller cities and towns located in various places that have around as many cloudy days as Pittsburgh, and sometimes substantially more. The major "cloud belts" (if you will) are in places like upstate NY, southwestern Michigan, coastal Washington and Oregon, and Alaska. The thing is, there don't happen to be (or maybe it isn't a coincidence) a lot of bigger cities in these "cloud belts"--basically just Seattle and Portland, if you are looking for a city of Pittsburgh's size or larger.

Of course not a lot of people are cross-shopping Pittsburgh (203 cloudy days a year) and Cold Bay, Alaska (population around 88, 304 cloudy days a year). On the other hand, maybe some people would be interested to know that Buffalo (208), Rochester (200), and Syracuse (205) are all in the same cloudiness range as Pittsburgh.

But anyway, all this is why I included that caveat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 07:51 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,082,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I just see the negative aspects of it such as people not able to speak English. I just don't feel it's that big of a deal, minus the food I love Italian, German, Irish, Chinese, Thai, and Japanese. I don't like how some think that you can't include Europeans in diversity at least that's how some I've seen on the city data forum feel.
Pittsburgh does not have a diverse group of Europeans either. It has, like the rest of the US, people with ancestors from many different European countries. I don't consider some 3rd+ generation "Italian" to be Italian. They are American. Most of the Italian food in Pittsburgh, is just American food.

Personally, I think the food in Pittsburgh is pretty bad. But everyone has their own tastes. I was not raised on the sorts of foods people in Pittsburgh tend to enjoy.

Anyhow, most diversity now comes from non-European countries. Europeans are not coming to the US by the boat load anymore.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:51 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,151,356 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh does not have a diverse group of Europeans either. It has, like the rest of the US, people with ancestors from many different European countries. I don't consider some 3rd+ generation "Italian" to be Italian. They are American. Most of the Italian food in Pittsburgh, is just American food.

Personally, I think the food in Pittsburgh is pretty bad. But everyone has their own tastes. I was not raised on the sorts of foods people in Pittsburgh tend to enjoy.

Anyhow, most diversity now comes from non-European countries. Europeans are not coming to the US by the boat load anymore.
A lot of people here do keep their ethnic pride for generations though and I know many who continue to celebrate being Irish, German, Italian, Polish, Croatian, etc.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
A lot of people here do keep their ethnic pride for generations though and I know many who continue to celebrate being Irish, German, Italian, Polish, Croatian, etc.
We discussed this on General US a while back. The Europeans think Americans are nuts for calling themselves "German", "Italian", etc, when we are not, really. Most people don't realize how "Americanized" they've become until they take a visit to the "old country".

Old 05-16-2009, 10:28 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,541,508 times
I'm proud to be a Heinz 57.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:17 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
We discussed this on General US a while back. The Europeans think Americans are nuts for calling themselves "German", "Italian", etc, when we are not, really. Most people don't realize how "Americanized" they've become until they take a visit to the "old country".
That is so true! I remember when my Italian American uncle and my Danish American aunt finally visited Europe. They loved it and reconnected with their extended families who they had never met. However, Italy and Denmark are nothing like Salt Lake City Utah where my aunt & uncle have spent most of their lives.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, I know. But having "ethnic pride" does not make you the ethnicity in question. But at the end of the day they are Americans.

Personally, I find it odd to celebrate being such and such when you can't speak the language and are generations removed from the "old country".

Old 05-16-2009, 07:26 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,151,356 times
Quote:
Yes, I know. But having "ethnic pride" does not make you the ethnicity in question. But at the end of the day they are Americans.

Personally, I find it odd to celebrate being such and such when you can't speak the language and are generations removed from the "old country".
Are we going to say the same thing to the children of the Hispanics and Asian immigrants in 40 50 years? Probably not since then it will be "racist" to say it to them.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Are we going to say the same thing to the children of the Hispanics and Asian immigrants in 40 50 years? Probably not since then it will be "racist" to say it to them.
I think the same thing regardless of race. Most of the non-white people that I know that have been here for multiple generations feel a bit out of place. They are fully American, yet other people do not always treat them that way.

Also, we are talking more like 80~100 years.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
I think the same thing regardless of race. Most of the non-white people that I know that have been here for multiple generations feel a bit out of place. They are fully American, yet other people do not always treat them that way.

Also, we are talking more like 80~100 years.
In some cases, way longer than that. Some of my mom's family was here before the Civil War (1861), and my dad's has been here since about that time. It's getting to be about 150 years. It's been at least 90 years since there has been large scale immigration from Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh