Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 07:12 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I think the same thing regardless of race. Most of the non-white people that I know that have been here for multiple generations feel a bit out of place. They are fully American, yet other people do not always treat them that way.

Also, we are talking more like 80~100 years.

Yeah, I know. I dated a "Mexican" whose great-grandmother was born here. She didn't even speak Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 02:10 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,092,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In some cases, way longer than that. Some of my mom's family was here before the Civil War (1861), and my dad's has been here since about that time. It's getting to be about 150 years. It's been at least 90 years since there has been large scale immigration from Europe.
Yes of course. I was just saying that the vast majority have go back much further than 40~50 years, at the very least 80+ years.

Also, at least from my experience it takes around 3 generations for people to completely acculturate.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:29 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
Well some of my family has been here for a little as 50 years so there are still some ties we have to Germany.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:58 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Also, at least from my experience it takes around 3 generations for people to completely acculturate.

That one sent me to the on line dictionary, figured what it meant, never saw it before. Learn something every day.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:54 PM

758 posts, read 1,227,824 times
I think once a person is born here and is raised here..he is American in cultural outlook and is considered
such by the rest of the world..I have an Asian friend who told me when she goes "back" to her parent's
country to visit her relatives she is viewed as foreign even though she speaks the language and looks like
the people there.

A Black American friend married a Nigerian man and when they went to visit..she told me they
called her a "dark white person"(for having Western ways) or "that feisty American woman"...

I think we can have all the ethnic pride and hyphenate ourselves all we want to here..but if we go
overseas the first perception will be American first..

Old 06-06-2009, 04:38 PM

6 posts, read 16,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I don't find a lot of credibility in your statements. You have nothing in common with people here but you would stay because of family and friends (that you have nothing in common with, or do you have nothing in common with complete strangers )

The food is blah??? Where do you eat, Eat N Park? Ever heard of Abate? Amel's? Kaya? (I could go on and on). Expand your horizon's a little, there are some amazing restuarants around this City.

Traffic is horrible? Please list the cities you have lived in of comparable size that have better traffic. Making blanket statements with nothing to back them up is a little suspicious coming from someone as their first post (at least your name isn't Pgh$ucks or something like that!! )
raynist: Well, I'm sorry you don't find credibility in my statements. To clarify for you I have nothing in common with a Joe/Jane Public that I happen to meet out and about at whatever establishment that I may go to. I am often ridiculed for talking about something that doesn't have the world Steeler, Penguin, or Iron City in it. Most people that I have encountered have no interest in conversing about culture, travel or diversity. So does that make sense to you? If not I don't know how much more I can explain that. I don't have to have things in common with my family....(they're my family no matter what.)

The food is blah??? Yes, the food is generally lousy here. I have heard of all the restaurants you have named and some are good restaurants (even a broken clock is right twice a day.) I have expanded my horizons. I have eaten things that you might see on bizarre foods. So I definitely like variety and foods that may be a little strange. Is it too much to ask for a GOOD middle eastern style wrap (kebab as they call them in Europe)? I have tried several varities here....all aren't even in the same league. I'm sorry I don't get on the bandwagon of Primanti Brothers....it's garbage food slapped together and these people act like it's the second coming of Jesus. I'm sure its just fine when you're drunk though! All I'm saying here is just give us some variety, and some decent food, and a decent place to eat it at. I was just recently in Cleveland, and I was amazed at all of the place downtown that you could actually sit outside and eat your meal. That type of establishment is practically non-existent here. Downtown Pittsburgh is still dead after 7PM.

Yes, the traffic is horrible.....I have lived in San Antonio, TX....its about 4 times bigger than Pittsburgh, and I have never seen the issues there that are present here. It's a general traffic rule that you don't drive 45 miles an hour in the passing lane...you know those signs that say "SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT"....people just don't give a damn here. Virginia Beach has a lot of traffic because of the Naval community and obviously the beach...there is one difference there though...THE TRAFFIC MOVES! I can't really compare European cities to Pittsburgh...that's a totally different traffic style....but once again...THE TRAFFIC MOVES! The residents here refuse to find alternate routes.....they jam the "highways" here....these tunnels are the biggest joke next to the Pirates of course. Multiple construction projects are taken on at one time to make things miserable for anyone just trying to go to work and come home. There is no reason it should take 45 minutes to get to downtown from the Monroeville interchange in the middle of an afternoon....I drive it daily. And I feel so bad for the people who have to do it in the morning and then come back out in the afternoon....FACE IT...it's a broken system here. So in a nutshell there are all of my "blanket statements" backed up for you guy!

The city isn't the problem....it's the people who refuse to ever change it for the better.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:06 PM

I got called "boring" for talking about culture,travel and diversity...I noticed something interesting about
Joe Public..The Joe Publics in Pittsburgh seem to have the attitude.."I don't know and I don't WANT to
know"...I noticed this is a Southwestern Pennsylvania attitude..

I have met Joe Publics from NYC and Philly..and the attitudes there were.."I don't know but THAT sounds
interesting tell me more"...when I talk about global issues and current events (outside of Penguins)...

at least in my experience..Its like a lot of people in this region..not all..are comfortable in their ignorance..

Old 06-06-2009, 06:15 PM

If I were not from here and was living somewhere more cosmopolitan..I would only move here for the
money..Am from here but never fit in..Pittsburgh is nice, but in terms of some national trends..it is very
slow to get on board..some things which are touted as new here..other cities have been doing them for
some years already...even Cleveland..

Old 06-06-2009, 08:20 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,713,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
If I were not from here and was living somewhere more cosmopolitan..I would only move here for the
money..Am from here but never fit in..Pittsburgh is nice, but in terms of some national trends..it is very
slow to get on board..some things which are touted as new here..other cities have been doing them for
some years already...even Cleveland..

Trends are overrated. What's so great about following trends? Do a little research on all the things that have started in Pittsburgh. Sure, it's been awhile since anything new came out here, but it's a pretty impressive list.

Trends are for followers.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:11 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,791,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
No offense but what's the big deal about diversity? I've lived here my whole life and no native i know really gives a damn about diversity but many transplants do.
Just how diverse is Pittsburgh and surround suburbs?

I scanned some of the town names on the map in the area. Seems like the demographics are a bit like a mini-Detroit or mini-D.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh