Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 03:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
What would you know, you're only a nurse.
You jagoff! (J/K)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 04:20 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You jagoff! (J/K)
Kat,

I knew that would get a rise out of someone.

Never, ever, say Only a nurse.

Remember the old joke. A nurse runs down the hall and says she has been raped by a Doctor. How did you know it was a Doctor.

Well, I had to show him how to do it, do it for him, and then clean up after.

I love nurses.

I married one.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:03 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
What would you know, you're only a nurse.
Uh-oh! Now you've done it! Katiana is going to lay the smackdown on yer hiney!

Old 10-21-2012, 04:46 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Uh-oh! Now you've done it! Katiana is going to lay the smackdown on yer hiney!
Is that a bad thing?

Old 10-21-2012, 05:14 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,690,308 times
Quote:
Kat,

I knew that would get a rise out of someone.

Never, ever, say Only a nurse.

Remember the old joke. A nurse runs down the hall and says she has been raped by a Doctor. How did you know it was a Doctor.

Well, I had to show him how to do it, do it for him, and then clean up after.

I love nurses.

I married one.
Whenever I was in highschool and decided that I was going to attend Pitt, a friend's Dad told me "Whenever you get dahn 'er make sure to look for the nurses. That's all we ever wanted to know -- was where the nurses at?."

Old 10-21-2012, 10:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by copanut View Post
is that a bad thing?
lol!

Old 10-12-2014, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,222 times
Default Response

I was born in Pittsburgh and I have lived in a suburb of Pittsburgh called Monroeville for 23 years. Pittsburgh can be an interesting place to live and it does have a lot to offer, but all the residence are in the following boat. They either leave, wish they could of left but never did, or like being there. Most of the people that want to stay are in the medical, engineering, or science related field and nothing against them , but most of them just want a normal family life and, they just want to do their 9-5 and go home. The reasons I am ready to leave the city and have been ready to leave for a while can be summed up in my list for disliking certain things in Pittsburgh:

1.) I don't like cold weather and it is a very cold city
2.) I want to be an entrepreneur and it's not an entrepreneurial state at all
3.) There is quite a bit of pessimism and negativity that people send to others that aren't the 9-5 working type of people
4.) People are way too concerned with sports and not as concerned with pressing issues
5.) Allegheny County has high taxes and it is considered a commonwealth so that means higher taxes.
6.) It is hard for me to get into my job field of accounting and finance at entry level. More medical opportunities
7.) lots of snow and tons of leaves to cleanup year round

This is only 7 things, but I am ready to leave. There are also good things about Pittsburgh. I hope this helps.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:22 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReason View Post
Ahhh... Here is the biggest then I dislike about Pittsurgh. "Yinzers", mostly guys, are very, and I mean very pessimistic, and I think this forum is a perfect example of that.

I travel a decent amount, and I've never been to a place where so many locals complain about their life, city, etc... Usually people are proud and rep their city. Not so much here, and its a shame. A lot of bitter people.
I hang around the Atlanta and Pittsburgh boards and I must admit the attitudes are like 180 degrees apart. The Atlanta board is mostly postitive and enthusiastic, Pittsburgh board is negative and suffers from what I've heard one person call the "weak ants" syndrome. Sort of amazing what Pittsburgh has accomplished as most people see things as not possible.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:07 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I hang around the Atlanta and Pittsburgh boards and I must admit the attitudes are like 180 degrees apart. The Atlanta board is mostly postitive and enthusiastic, Pittsburgh board is negative and suffers from what I've heard one person call the "weak ants" syndrome. Sort of amazing what Pittsburgh has accomplished as most people see things as not possible.
I really don't think this board is representative of the general populace. It's a lot more negative than it was even two years ago but if you pay attention it's always the same half dozen or so people generating most of the negativity. You can't say "most people", I doubt most of the entepreneurs and creative types you read about on nextpittsburgh want anything to do with that attitude, and people who have visited the city have commented on Pittsburghers being friendly and proud of the city. What you're seeing is just an example of how a few negative people can be toxic, the board has lost a lot of positive informative people over the years.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:31 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Pittsburghers do tend to be a negative bunch and I am definitely guilty of it too at times. One really has to wonder how the weather plays into that due to the fact the one's environment can have a direct impact on their mental state. Oddly enough the "bad weather depresses people" thing is still somewhat of a stereotype in Seattle but is largely ignored here even though we are cloudier than Seattle. I guess it might be part of our local culture to say, "grow a pair ya jag" rather than to discuss it.

One thing I have noticed since I first posted in this thread is that (in my opinion) Pittsburgh has become a less friendly place. That wasn't mentioned in my first post but now I put that as number 1 of the things I dislike about the city. Obviously I won't be able to find an exact measurement of friendliness in a city but that's just my personal experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh