Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 07:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
You getting desperate here Kat. 83F is the 'typical' high mark for both, and Minneapolis gets 2F higher on 'rare' occasions? Seems a very slim difference to me, and no indications on how these numbers are statistically derived. I expect better from you. What are the summer means/medians? That might be more revealing? I'm sure you can find these on NOAA and illuminate us. After all, you started it
Well, slap my hand, why don't you? You "expect better" from me? Have you ever been to Minneapolis in the summer? It can be pretty bad. Minneapolis has more 90 degree days on average than Pittsburgh. Number of Hot Days at US Cities in Summer - Current Results It's very humid there. The mosquitoes are dense and mean. It was 97 degrees the May day my daughter graduated from college in Northfield, just south of Minneapolis. Oh well, I was just agreeing that Pittsburgh has a pretty "tame" summer. But even when I agree with the prevailing opinion, I'm wrong and I could have done "better". What did I start? Not this dumb thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
well how can you not love a thread where people backhandedly suggest that Pittsburgh is a place where droughts are a big problem like in the west. In the same actual post where they are stating how cloudy and dreary it always is in Pittsburgh. Then when someone calls them on that obvious drought BS, they claim that they just don't understand "western water issues".

Really it doesn't get more ludicrous unless you go read a crack pipe forum or something.
1. I did not "backhandedly" suggest anything. I am, in fact, pretty straightforward. I was responding to someone who said Pittsburgh doesn't have droughts. I posted valid information. As one of your own illustrious posters once told me during a similar discussion (might even be embedded in this thread for all I know/care) a drought is a deficit in the expected precipitation.

What is a Drought? Definition of Droughts | LiveScience **Abnormally low rainfall is, of course, the primary cause of drought. But one can't say in general how little rainfall it takes for a region's Palmer index to sink into drought territory, because the index takes regional averages into account. For example, 20 inches of rainfall in a year is normal in West Texas, and would correspond to a Palmer index around 0; but 20 inches would be less than half the yearly average in Virginia, and would probably correspond to an index lower than -5.0, signifying an exceptional drought in the state.**

Please read and note that per the map, the western quarter of PA was in drought conditions in July of 2012 (as was most of the country). Your own media was calling the situation in Pittsburgh a drought.

2. Nor did I bring up western water issues, and then sanctimoniously declare that they couldn't be discussed b/c they don't pertain to Pittsburgh. Anyone who wants to discuss western water issues is free to visit this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/color...out-water.html It was started about the same time as this inane Pittsburgh sunny days thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Yeah agreed _Buster. Pittsburgh's droughts are the west's wet seasons, seriously. We never will run out of water.
Never say never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 11:00 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, slap my hand, why don't you? You "expect better" from me? Have you ever been to Minneapolis in the summer? It can be pretty bad. Minneapolis has more 90 degree days on average than Pittsburgh. Number of Hot Days at US Cities in Summer - Current Results It's very humid there. The mosquitoes are dense and mean. It was 97 degrees the May day my daughter graduated from college in Northfield, just south of Minneapolis. Oh well, I was just agreeing that Pittsburgh has a pretty "tame" summer. But even when I agree with the prevailing opinion, I'm wrong and I could have done "better". What did I start? Not this dumb thread.
Sorry gorton, Kat is right here. Minnie is significantly hotter in the summer. No questions there. If you've spent time there, its warmer AND more humid. Like I said in my earlier post, few cities in the US have summers easier than Pittsburgh. 2+ million, only maybe Seattle and San Fran, just because they are on the coast.

Quote:
1. I did not "backhandedly" suggest anything. I am, in fact, pretty straightforward. I was responding to someone who said Pittsburgh doesn't have droughts. I posted valid information. As one of your own illustrious posters once told me during a similar discussion (might even be embedded in this thread for all I know/care) a drought is a deficit in the expected precipitation.

What is a Drought? Definition of Droughts | LiveScience **Abnormally low rainfall is, of course, the primary cause of drought. But one can't say in general how little rainfall it takes for a region's Palmer index to sink into drought territory, because the index takes regional averages into account. For example, 20 inches of rainfall in a year is normal in West Texas, and would correspond to a Palmer index around 0; but 20 inches would be less than half the yearly average in Virginia, and would probably correspond to an index lower than -5.0, signifying an exceptional drought in the state.**

Please read and note that per the map, the western quarter of PA was in drought conditions in July of 2012 (as was most of the country). Your own media was calling the situation in Pittsburgh a drought.

2. Nor did I bring up western water issues, and then sanctimoniously declare that they couldn't be discussed b/c they don't pertain to Pittsburgh. Anyone who wants to discuss western water issues is free to visit this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/color...out-water.html It was started about the same time as this inane Pittsburgh sunny days thread.
I agreed with his early saying not this one. _Buster this one was out of line, sorry.

Quote:
Never say never.
Contradicting myself three times in one post, yes never say never is a good assumption here (at least in my lifetime [hopefully till 2080 ]). Pittsburgh, and the great lakes, sit above one of the best groundwater reservoirs in the nation, Kat.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:53 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Sorry, Kat is right here. Minnie is significantly hotter in the summer. No questions there. If you've spent time there, its warmer AND more humid. Like I said in my earlier post, few cities in the US have summers easier than Pittsburgh. 2+ million, only maybe Seattle and San Fran, just because they are on the coast.
I've only spent a week there in May outside of winter, so not really got much personal experience. I wasn't really arguing with Kat, just stating that on the numbers she quoted, the differences were absolutely minor (same averages, 3 days a year more above 90f). This certainly doesn't equate to significantly hotter, as you say above. And well, pulling a Kat on you , the numbers from the weather channel don't really bear out your assessment. Have a look at this delightful comparison.

Climatology Comparison for Minneapolis, MN - weather.com

I am happy to believe NOAA. Averages are essentially the same in summer, and MN gets on average 3 days a year more over 90f than here, and the record highs are a fair bit higher there. On average the highs are hotter here, but its cooler here at night. If that's significantly hotter in your book, then so be it. I'm good with that.

And playing with the link above, you might find local comparisons of Pittsburgh to places like Boston, Buffalo, New York,
Portland, and for the hell of it, even Denver and San Diego quite illuminating. Interpretations left to the reader ....

Last edited by gortonator; 02-13-2014 at 05:28 AM..

Old 02-13-2014, 08:56 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
Quote:

1. I did not "backhandedly" suggest anything. I am, in fact, pretty straightforward. I was responding to someone who said Pittsburgh doesn't have droughts. I posted valid information. As one of your own illustrious posters once told me during a similar discussion (might even be embedded in this thread for all I are that they couldn't be discussed b/c they don't pertain to Pittsburgh. Anyone who wants to discuss western water issues is free to visit this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/color...out-water.html It was started about the same time as this inane Pittsburgh sunny days thread

Here is the post you responded to:

"I like the weather here. And in my mind a HUGE advantage we have over sunnier part of the country is that we don't have to worry about droughts. We have terrible problems with this in my home country and people try to move away from drought-impacted areas. Here people are moving to Colorado and Nevada and California. Americans do not seem as worried about this as they should be, in my opinion."

You were clearly responding in a lame attempt to pretend that people in Pittsburgh need to worry about droughts.

Nobody asked for a definition of a drought, or whether they occur in Pittsburgh. The whole point was it's not something people worry about causing big problems, whereas in the west it obviously is. You can try to hide behind semantics or definitions, but you are arguing around the point like a 5 year old.

But we just don't know much about western water issues.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
From one of my links in post #190, the 13 driest years since, 1839:

1839; 1840; 1854; 1856; 1894; 1895; 1900; 1925; 1930; 1932; 1963; 1988; 1995.

Note these are not the only drought years, as this link is from 2012, which had a drought. It's hard to find this information. For one thing, even if you use the term "rain drought", you still get hits about the Pirates.
As I think you're suggesting, dry years may not necessarily result in droughts, and other years may be wetter but droughty, all depending on the distribution of the rainfall throughout the year. So I aprreciate the difficulty in finding this info, especially with the Pirates

But it does look like dry years are relatively infrequent aberations. Presumably these 13 were selected because they were below some threshold? Doesn't really matter, I guess .... and what's the bet these dry years were sunny

Old 02-13-2014, 11:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
As I think you're suggesting, dry years may not necessarily result in droughts, and other years may be wetter but droughty, all depending on the distribution of the rainfall throughout the year. So I aprreciate the difficulty in finding this info, especially with the Pirates

But it does look like dry years are relatively infrequent aberations. Presumably these 13 were selected because they were below some threshold? Doesn't really matter, I guess .... and what's the bet these dry years were sunny
These are just the driest 13. I don't know how they came up with that number. Maybe someone just likes "13". You never know.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
These are just the driest 13. I don't know how they came up with that number. Maybe someone just likes "13". You never know.
Here's the NOAA rainfall data from 'the start'.

thisprec

Making interesting reading. Eg 2012:
2012 3.85 2.24 3.29 1.31 4.69 1.24 7.32 2.65 4.80 4.44 0.38 5.53 41.74

June was dry, July was a deluge ...I wasn't here so have no idea what really happened.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:27 PM

52 posts, read 74,390 times
I love Pittsburgh people, but get real, the weather here is some of the gloomiest in the U.S. Ughh

Flame away.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:30 PM

419 posts, read 551,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
There was a great article in the Post Gazette a while back by Brett Yasko, a designer in Pittsburgh who decided to test the stats on Pittsburgh's number of sunny days per year. This should clear up all those questions about Pittsburgh's climate.

The Next Page: On the sunny side of the street - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
I figured i would get back on topic and comment on the OP's post. That article is a total crock. I also think an average of 59 sunny days/year seems a bit high. Do you honestly think we had 59 days last year that had NO overcast conditions or very few if any clouds in the sky? Just a sea of blue? Even when you combine our "partly cloudy" days, we still average less than 50% of days with moderate sunshine. It's mostly cloudy days with occasional peeks of sunshine throughout the day or totally gray days with no sun. Those are the FACTS. Pittsburgh's sunshine levels are similar to Buffalo, Cleveland, Columbus, Seattle, Portland, Syracuse, Scranton etc. They all average less sunshine than national average 12 MONTHS a year. You might as well call them the nation's "Cloud Belt." On a worldwide scale, Pittsburgh may be in the middle for sun, but someone moving from an American city that receives only national average for sunshine will still find Pittsburgh very cloudy and gray. If you like sunshine, don't move here! If you like gloomy darkness, come on down

Old 02-14-2014, 07:25 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,084,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
I figured i would get back on topic and comment on the OP's post. That article is a total crock. I also think an average of 59 sunny days/year seems a bit high. Do you honestly think we had 59 days last year that had NO overcast conditions or very few if any clouds in the sky?blah blah blah...
Yes we DID, and I experienced it myself. But by all means continue trolling away. Anyone arguing against the FACTS like the ones in that article are on the same level of the climate change deniers, for all I'm concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh