Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 12:36 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Sign's claim that the gateway theory has been "disproven," not quite.
Quite!

Quote:
According to a Reader's Digest report from 1996, a youngster 12-17 years old who smokes marijuana is 85 times more likely to use cocaine than one who does not.
Uhhh.....you do know what year it is NOW, don't you?
It's 2010....not 1996!

And...if I were young again and just wanted to try some pot, but there was cocaine also available when I went to buy it, well....being that I'm young, strong and invincible, without a care or concern of consequence.....I'd say "Sure, I'll try some of that too, while I'm here picking up the weed I wanted."

I mean, pot is illegal, coke is illegal, LSD is illegal....thus, they're ALL the same....fair game to a kid who thinks he's going to live forever, at the moment, anyway.

Quote:
Also, in 1993, 26% of all male teens arrested in 12 major cities tested positive for marijuana. In Washington, D.C., 52% of arrested juveniles tested positive for marijuana.
1993?
Bet a LOT more people than that, test positive NOW.
And...would you rather it be methamphetamines that so many test positive for?
52% of the general US population would probably test positive for pot!

Quote:
And, an example here:
Fred Motley of Spring Valley, N.Y. understands how dangerous marijuana is. He was a 12-year-old honor student when he first smoked pot. "I wanted to be accepted by the cool crowd," he said. He started smoking pot only on weekends, but then moved to LSD, cocaine and crack. He became increasingly belligerent, routinely skipped school and became depressed. He eventually entered a drug treatment program and for two years tried to put his life back together. Remember, all of this started with marijuana, the "harmless" drug.
Right out of a freaking Dragnet episode I saw once!
Circa 1968?
WOW!
Ah yes, good 'ol Jack Webb!
Such the authority that he ever was on this subject!

Quote:
Unfortunately, the above story has been repeated many, many (too many) times by other people.
Courtesy of Dragnet reruns.....timeless.

I honestly believe that a better source of proof and evidence, that is current......is still needed, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 01:17 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,200,354 times
Quote:
Fred Motley of Spring Valley, N.Y. understands how dangerous marijuana is. He was a 12-year-old honor student when he first smoked pot. "I wanted to be accepted by the cool crowd," he said. He started smoking pot only on weekends, but then moved to LSD, cocaine and crack. He became increasingly belligerent, routinely skipped school and became depressed. He eventually entered a drug treatment program and for two years tried to put his life back together.
Freds problem wasn't pot, it was that he was actually an idiot. What kind of "honor student" doesn't understand the how dangerous crack is? The stupid kind, that's what.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:08 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,303,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sign View Post
Quite!

Uhhh.....you do know what year it is NOW, don't you?
It's 2010....not 1996!

And...if I were young again and just wanted to try some pot, but there was cocaine also available when I went to buy it, well....being that I'm young, strong and invincible, without a care or concern of consequence.....I'd say "Sure, I'll try some of that too, while I'm here picking up the weed I wanted."

I mean, pot is illegal, coke is illegal, LSD is illegal....thus, they're ALL the same....fair game to a kid who thinks he's going to live forever, at the moment, anyway.

1993?
Bet a LOT more people than that, test positive NOW.
And...would you rather it be methamphetamines that so many test positive for?
52% of the general US population would probably test positive for pot!

Right out of a freaking Dragnet episode I saw once!
Circa 1968?
WOW!
Ah yes, good 'ol Jack Webb!
Such the authority that he ever was on this subject!

Courtesy of Dragnet reruns.....timeless.

I honestly believe that a better source of proof and evidence, that is current......is still needed, thank you.
Your post is why I said "see the other threads I posted in" regarding the marijuana debate. Because people like you can't or won't accept information when it shows just how dangerous marijuana has been for many people.

What difference does it make what year the Reader's Digest study was from? It does show how many people get hooked on other drugs after first using marijuana.

Speaking of Dragnet:
"Every time we pick up a youngster who's dropping acid, 9 times out of 10 he's holding marijuana. I judge weed by the company it keeps."

-Sgt. Joe Friday

Old 06-21-2010, 02:11 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,303,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Freds problem wasn't pot, it was that he was actually an idiot. What kind of "honor student" doesn't understand the how dangerous crack is? The stupid kind, that's what.
Do you realize how many people have stories similar to Fred's? Remember, Fred didn't start with crack; he started with marijuana.

I agree about the idiot part; anyone who uses any of that junk is one, IMO.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Your post is why I said "see the other threads I posted in" regarding the marijuana debate. Because people like you can't or won't accept information when it shows just how dangerous marijuana has been for many people.
All that wonderfully, biased propaganda that you call information..... I don't find to be very credible in this day and age...when marijuana has been studied to DEATH.
Far more is known about marijuana now, than it once was and it doesn't come close to being as dangerous as 99% of the drugs that the pharmaceutical companies are PUSHING ON TV!

Quote:
What difference does it make what year the Reader's Digest study was from? It does show how many people get hooked on other drugs after first using marijuana.
All the difference in the world....when new research findings are constantly released to suggest otherwise.

Quote:
Speaking of Dragnet:
"Every time we pick up a youngster who's dropping acid, 9 times out of 10 he's holding marijuana. I judge weed by the company it keeps."

-Sgt. Joe Friday
This is only because.......marijuana and LSD can go so well together, and back in Sgt. Joe Friday's time.......there were an awful lot of hippies who were into BOTH drugs.
So, this isn't news or anything not to be expected of that time in America.
BTW.....maybe if their pot had been LEGAL to obtain and possess back then (and of superb quality)......they wouldn't have ever felt the need to let their EXPOSURE to acid, get the best of their better judgment!

Speaking of Sgt. Friday's take on this........

Every time they extricate a drunk driver's corpse out of the twisted wreckage that had been his car.....10 times out of 10, he had been drinking. I judge drunks by the company they keep.

Should we bring back alcohol Prohibition again, too........
or just kill everyone who deviates from the "norm" and isn't your kind of company?
Problem solved, eh?

Old 06-21-2010, 08:08 AM

448 posts, read 533,919 times
Quote:
Sounds like you are one of those who can't accept facts and statistics.

I can accept the facts and statistics. The ones that are actually accurate. Not every person who smokes will turn to crack or heroin, you're not going to die from smoking, you won't get dumb or mentally unstable, and you're not going to get addicted. This type of stuff obviously happens to some people who abuse ANY substance. But when sh** like this happens the Anti-Weed group of people blow it way out of proportion and make it seem like it happens to everyone who does it. Which is extremely false.

When was the last time you saw on the news a man dying from O.D'ing on weed. NEVER. I see more sh** on alcohol poisoning and drunk driving than I have ever seen about weed....and yet alcohol is legal and people still die from it, and abuse it, and become addicted to it.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:45 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,647,809 times
Since I smoked tobacco for a few years before I ever tried marijuana--and didn't like it, by the way--I guess nicotine's a gateway drug to marijuana.

Yet people who don't smoke...don't smoke anything.

Does that make any sort of logical sense?

Old 06-21-2010, 10:04 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,317,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Since I smoked tobacco for a few years before I ever tried marijuana--and didn't like it, by the way--I guess nicotine's a gateway drug to marijuana.

Well, many people live naturally in an altered state, i.e., without the use of drugs.

The use of any drug could cause them to migrate out of their altered state.

YouTube - Edith Ann - "And thats the truth"

Old 06-21-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

Yes it does, actually.

I totally regret that I ever started smoking cigarettes!
Not pot!

But honestly.....after all these years, I have truly come to the conclusion that ANY KIND OF SMOKE.......is not good for the lungs and the damage becomes especially noticeable, as the years goes by.
Hacking up a lung.....just isn't fun and I personally, am trying to psyche myself up to quit cold turkey and never look back.
And the pot?
I can take it or leave it without any issue.
And will likely, let it go totally, as well.....soon enough.
We'll see about this one, though.
30 years is long enough to wreck your health from smoking ANYTHING.....and the enjoyment has faded in a big way......(since my lungs just don't like it and they aren't young, healthy and able to keep up with a massive toke, or barely even a little one, anymore).
But with that said......it truly does sound refreshing to completely clear 'em out and keep 'em that way for the rest of my part, in this picture show, we call LIFE.

And, no matter what........I will NEVER have anything else negative to say about marijuana smoking!
I may quit forever......but I will always believe it to be a truly, wonderful plant and a GIFT bestowed upon mankind, not the CURSE that is tobacco.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:34 AM

364 posts, read 496,439 times
I absolutely feel that it should be legalized and regulated. I actually feel that nearly if not all, "laws against morality" should be repealed. I mean for drugs, gambling, prostitution.

I don't engage in these activities myself. I live a "conservative" lifestyle personally, but feel that adults can make their own choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies