Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2010, 08:40 PM

314 posts, read 414,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Hell I don't know.

I suppose it would depend on how damaged their liver and systems are.

Alcohol isn't exactly my major drug of choice. Its a poison, your body naturally rejects it, and alcoholism runs in my family.

I have noticed that the older I get, the more tolerant to alcohol I become. No matter how few times a year I drink, maybe two or three, everytime it seems my tolerance has built up.

As with pot, its good to take a one week THC break a quarter. That, and to change up brand periodically is a good thing.

thats odd mine drops down again if i dont drink. so its hard for me to know my tolerance. maybe you should check that out tolerance going up even well you dont drink. i have heard of cases of overdoses due to someones tolerance droping due to less use i heard that happened to heath ledger excuse my spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 08:55 PM

448 posts, read 534,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Being illegal isn't keeping it from anyone, and hasn't for a long time. Any 15 year old can get it if they want it. All the law is doing is making life more complicated and costly for citizens and law enforcement officials. I don't care how much you don't like pot or drugs, continuing to keep it a criminal offense is beyond idiotic.

I can't respect people who don't get that.
Agreed. Well said.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:55 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mask of thought View Post
thats odd mine drops down again if i dont drink. so its hard for me to know my tolerance. maybe you should check that out tolerance going up even well you dont drink. i have heard of cases of overdoses due to someones tolerance droping due to less use i heard that happened to heath ledger excuse my spelling
Can't overdose if you don't drink a lot.

I drink some craft beer, micro brew, and local stuff, thats about it. I stay away from liquor, just like drinking poison.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:22 PM

20,342 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
We are setting a very dangerous precedent when you wish to deny someone health care because of their personal choices.

Are we going to deny health care to the obese? By overeating they caused their own illness: heart disease, diabetes, joint problems and even some cancers.

Are we going to deny people who play sports? Why should I pay for their broken bones and brain damage? They KNEW they could get hurt.

Are we going to deny people who do not exercise enough? Heart disease, lack of mobility and even some cancers.

Are we going to deny people who ride motorcycles? Why should I pay for your busted up body or brain damage? You KNEW motorcycles were dangerous.

Are we going to deny health care to women who makes the choice to carry out a dangerous pregnancy? The Dr. told you that it would be dangerous for you to get pregnant, but you did anyway. Why should I have to pay for your medical problems? Why should I have to pay for a child you brought into this world knowing it would be disabled for life?

You had unprotected sex? Why should I have to pay for your STD or Aids treetments. We should just let you die. You KNEW unprotected sex could be dangerous.

Do we REALLY want to tie access to health care to personal choices?

I would say the MAJORITY of illnesses could be linked in some way to a personal choice.

DO WE REALLY WANT TO GO THERE?
We have to go there, like it or not.

If society is responsible for providing healthcare for everyone then that same society will have to make the hard decisions when it comes to managing and allocating a finite resource so that the maximum benefit is received by that society.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
We have to go there, like it or not.

If society is responsible for providing healthcare for everyone then that same society will have to make the hard decisions when it comes to managing and allocating a finite resource so that the maximum benefit is received by that society.

Which is why I'm in favor of a hybrid system.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:22 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
Why should it be 21? So I could buy cancer causing tobacco products at 18 but not marijuana?

And even if they did legalize it and make the age 21, there would be a shift in arrests of undeage drinking, to underage smoking.

I get 21+ year olds to get my beer, and that's probably what would happen with weed. Why not make it 18 to eliminate this whole problem?
No matter what age you set as the "legal age," there's ALWAYS going to be a group of underage folks who will obtain drugs and alcohol that will lead to underage consumption. It may lead to a DECREASE in underage consumption, but will not ELIMINATE the problem.

21 is just considered a "legal age" as a preventative measure to make sure that ADULTS ONLY are consuming these products. Although 18 is the legal age in the US, apparently people around that age just don't scream "adult" since the drinking age was set to 21+ years by the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 (Wikipedia). There's obvious loopholes around both the law and will continue to be.

Just my personal opinion: eigh-TEEN just seems too young. By 21, people are out of high school and are either going to college or another type of academic institution and/or working part/full-time for the most part...more things that aid to a person's responsibility factor. And it wasn't that long ago when I was 18 myself!

I guess people in general between the ages 18 and 20 just aren't as-a-whole proving to the adult world that they are "responsible and mature" enough to consume these products in a highly-responsible manner. Some 18-20 yr olds can consume responsibly and some don't, but it's the people who can't and don't consume these products responsibly that ruin things for the rest of the bunch. That's life for ya.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:33 PM

448 posts, read 534,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
No matter what age you set as the "legal age," there's ALWAYS going to be a group of underage folks who will obtain drugs and alcohol that will lead to underage consumption. It may lead to a DECREASE in underage consumption, but will not ELIMINATE the problem.

21 is just considered a "legal age" as a preventative measure to make sure that ADULTS ONLY are consuming these products. Although 18 is the legal age in the US, apparently people around that age just don't scream "adult" since the drinking age was set to 21+ years by the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 (Wikipedia). There's obvious loopholes around both the law and will continue to be.

Just my personal opinion: eigh-TEEN just seems too young. By 21, people are out of high school and are either going to college or another type of academic institution and/or working part/full-time for the most part...more things that aid to a person's responsibility factor. And it wasn't that long ago when I was 18 myself!

I guess people in general between the ages 18 and 20 just aren't as-a-whole proving to the adult world that they are "responsible and mature" enough to consume these products in a highly-responsible manner. Some 18-20 yr olds can consume responsibly and some don't, but it's the people who can't and don't consume these products responsibly that ruin things for the rest of the bunch. That's life for ya.
I'm 18 and I'm currently in college with people 18-21. I think that alot of people who are 21 don't really scream "adult" ither.

Heres the way I see it. You're 18, you're able to fight for your country, you should be able to drink a beer (but that's another debate ) or in this case smoke some herb.

But I can absolutly see where you're comming from on the whole responsibility factor.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
I'm 18 and I'm currently in college with people 18-21. I think that alot of people who are 21 don't really scream "adult" ither.

Heres the way I see it. You're 18, you're able to fight for your country, you should be able to drink a beer (but that's another debate ) or in this case smoke some herb.

But I can absolutly see where you're comming from on the whole responsibility factor.
I'm for those rules, except you have to join the military to receive that treatment. Otherwise, you have to wait until you're 21.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:03 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'm for those rules, except you have to join the military to receive that treatment. Otherwise, you have to wait until you're 21.
I think registering for the selective service is enough.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
I think registering for the selective service is enough.
Nah,

Wars aren't fought with enough people to warrant a large draft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies