Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2010, 02:30 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,420,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
I apoligize if I said something to make you think that I don't believe that alcohol is physically addicting. Believe me alcoholism runs in my family, I know for a fact it's addictive.
For me, the physical addicition is much easier to overcome, and the mental.

I know this from a few things I kicked a while back.

My worst addiction was to nicotine (cigarettes). The physical addiction was gone after about two days. I no longer had the grind in my teeth, and some of the other side effects I felt. I quit cold turkey.

However, the mental addiction, I still suffer with. There are times when I still want to buy a pack, or bum a smoke.

However, I know its mental. Just like other things I think about during the day, I understand that I don't need those things, and I choose not to do them.

Such is the same with marijuana. I feel no actual "withdrawls" when I don't have any. Sometimes it makes it hard for me to sleep when I don't smoke any. However, I was a insomniac well before I started smoking, I think thats still just me. But when I run out, and I have little money, I know I can go buy some, but I know I just don't need to right then.

However, that hardly happens anymore.

This is where self control, and my fight against it being illegal are. People fight legalization because they fear what others will do. However, most people have the self control to deal with these urges, and we are legislating to control a small minority of people, who shouldn't be using any drugs, including the legal ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 04:56 PM

448 posts, read 534,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
For me, the physical addicition is much easier to overcome, and the mental.

I know this from a few things I kicked a while back.

My worst addiction was to nicotine (cigarettes). The physical addiction was gone after about two days. I no longer had the grind in my teeth, and some of the other side effects I felt. I quit cold turkey.

However, the mental addiction, I still suffer with. There are times when I still want to buy a pack, or bum a smoke.

However, I know its mental. Just like other things I think about during the day, I understand that I don't need those things, and I choose not to do them.

Such is the same with marijuana. I feel no actual "withdrawls" when I don't have any.
I agree. It's easier to beat the physical than the mental part of the addiction. I'm a user of chewing tobacco and have been trying to quit for a couple months now, but haven't been sucessful. I too don't feel like nicotine withdrawl after a couple of days, but I just don't feel right without having a pinch of dip in or even having a tin on me or at my house.

I found out that smoking weed helps me deal with my withdrawl of tobacco. And just like you, I feel no withdrawl symptoms when I don't smoke for a while or don't have any.

But good for you for quitting, it's hard to break old habits!

Old 07-11-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Where is the study to show that Marijuana helps prevent cancer, peer reviewed if you please.

There is some anecdotal evidence, but no hard facts. And for every benefit, a side effect can be proven.

The fact is, that inhaling burning plant matter causes cancer.

I prefer to make cannibutter, then cook with that. The problem is, the muchies, I want to keep eating the goodies, which just causes more munchies.

Thats why I keep my stash of nutty buddies
Unlocking a Cure for Cancer – With*Pot by Paul Armentano

More Evidence That Marijuana Prevents Cancer | Drugs | AlterNet

THC (marijuana) helps cure cancer says Harvard study | NowPublic News Coverage

Then there's always the most reliable source...

Medical cannabis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have never heard of cannibutter. Sounds very interesting. I would love to try it.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
And there are equally compelling evidence and studies that say it does cause cancer.

Marijuana Damages DNA And May Cause Cancer, New Test Reveals

The fact is, that it really depends on how much you smoke. Moderate smokers (as many of the articles you linked studies) do show some moderate improvement for specific kinds of cancer.

However, in the studies of heavy/long term users show higher rates of lung cancer specifically.

My point is, the Jury is still out. What is it in moderate quantities thats so good, that is over done by long term heavy usage?

This is why I prefer digestion methods.

Cannibutter is great, PM me, and I will be happy to explain the production process that I use

Old 07-11-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
And there are equally compelling evidence and studies that say it does cause cancer.

Marijuana Damages DNA And May Cause Cancer, New Test Reveals

The fact is, that it really depends on how much you smoke. Moderate smokers (as many of the articles you linked studies) do show some moderate improvement for specific kinds of cancer.

However, in the studies of heavy/long term users show higher rates of lung cancer specifically.

My point is, the Jury is still out. What is it in moderate quantities thats so good, that is over done by long term heavy usage?

This is why I prefer digestion methods.

Cannibutter is great, PM me, and I will be happy to explain the production process that I use
Your actually right, I have heard that long term users who smoke almost daily are at risk of getting cancer. But at least for me, I don't smoke that often. (Although sometimes I wish I could ) I only do it occasionally, maybe 1 or 2 times a week. (That still may be a lot for some people) So I feel that I won't have that risk of getting cancer from my marijuana use.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:13 PM

314 posts, read 414,914 times
Quote:
Alcohol, just like nicotine, causes physical addiction.

Now, if you really want to throw someone who uses the "marijuana isn't physically addictive" for a loop, bring up the fact that Meth isn't physically addictive either.

However, the physical side effects of meth use is so bad, its hardly comparable to cannibus usage.
i used to have a friend who knew a friend who smoked pot he could not even make it though the day without it. lol thats kinda confusing sounding. he cant pay attention its mentally and physically damageing. i may have stated its true it affects you mentally but also i ment physically as well

Old 07-11-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mask of thought View Post
i used to have a friend who knew a friend who smoked pot he could not even make it though the day without it. lol thats kinda confusing sounding. he cant pay attention its mentally and physically damageing. i may have stated its true it affects you mentally but also i ment physically as well

THC causes 0, nada, no physical addiction or withdrawl symptoms.

If your friend of a friend couldn't go for a day without it, it was a purely mental issue, not a physical one.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:41 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,278,198 times
Being illegal isn't keeping it from anyone, and hasn't for a long time. Any 15 year old can get it if they want it. All the law is doing is making life more complicated and costly for citizens and law enforcement officials. I don't care how much you don't like pot or drugs, continuing to keep it a criminal offense is beyond idiotic.

I can't respect people who don't get that.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:48 PM

314 posts, read 414,914 times
Quote:
THC causes 0, nada, no physical addiction or withdrawl symptoms.

If your friend of a friend couldn't go for a day without it, it was a purely mental issue, not a physical one.

i have a question adout tolerance and alcohol once you stop drinking how long would it take a average drinker to drop there tolerance level

Old 07-11-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mask of thought View Post
i have a question adout tolerance and alcohol once you stop drinking how long would it take a average drinker to drop there tolerance level
Hell I don't know.

I suppose it would depend on how damaged their liver and systems are.

Alcohol isn't exactly my major drug of choice. Its a poison, your body naturally rejects it, and alcoholism runs in my family.

I have noticed that the older I get, the more tolerant to alcohol I become. No matter how few times a year I drink, maybe two or three, everytime it seems my tolerance has built up.

As with pot, its good to take a one week THC break a quarter. That, and to change up brand periodically is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies