Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 12:58 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,192,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Give a credible source and I might believe it. Are there any local news stories that covered it?

Those pictures could have been taken almost anywhere in the world. How do we know that the pix didn't come from Africa somewhere? There really are not that many arms there. A lot for a gang, maybe, but not nearly enough for even a medium-sized paramilitary group.

Back in the 60s there was a guy from Chicago who amassed a lot more stuff than that and had it in a house in San Francisco and in a couple of rented warehouses. His name was Bill Thoresen, and there is a book about it written by his wife Louise called "It gave Us All Something To Do". Your library may have it. It has pictures of the stuff he bought, and a LOT of it was bigger stuff than this little stash on the Tea Party blog.

Try harder or you're not very convincing.
You have me confused with someone else when it comes to you believing anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 01:01 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,225,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
No kidding. Yes the cartels are well armed and a big problem, yes they are causing lots of violence in Mexico. Where the facts start to get sensationalized is when people like Brewer stoke the fires by claiming the lawlessness and violence are on the U.S. side as well, beheadings and such.

No, actually the border areas are pretty safe on the American side. How do I know this? I read the papers with the statistics and crime rates and opinions by local law enforcement, FBI, and Border Patrol. (In other words, credible sources.) I also live pretty close to the border, unlike a lot of the posters squealing from Wisconsin and Montana. If you want to twist this into a "I hate the illegals" thread, then go right ahead. There are a lot of those already cooking up in the immigration forum if you are so inlcined.
I don't know where you live "close to the border", but apparently you don't pay much attention to what is happening in Tucson.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/23/us/23border.html?_r=1

You don't have to live close to the border to be an innocent bystander of a drug war. It's happening all over the country, just read the hundreds of articles linked in the previous post.

It puzzles me that you want me to "twist this into a 'I hate the illegals' thread" when nothing has been discussed except the cartels, drugs, and national security due to our porous borders. Oh well, living in a world of denial suits some better than others.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:18 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Give a credible source and I might believe it. Are there any local news stories that covered it?
Already posted,go read the article linked here in the Mexican newspaper...

It is of course in Spanish.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:58 PM

37,222 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Here is a link to over 800 drug related articles in the New York Times.

Maybe they will convince you that the drug cartels are well armed, bold, murderers, and pose a secrity threat to the United States.

Mexican Drug Trafficking News - Breaking World Drug Trafficking in Mexico News - The New York Times
So why aren't the drugs legalized, controlled like liquor, taxed to the end user, and the profit motive eliminated from smuggling them?

Would it have something to do with the multi-billion-dollar boondoggle known as the "War On Drugs" or "DEA" for short?

If the drugs were legalized there would be no more nifty spy toys for the jackbooted Government Gooks to play with.

BTW - legalization is the ONLY way you will ever stop the smuggling. Eliminate the profit, eliminate the cartels. As simple as that.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:01 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I wonder where one buys a submarine???

Ecuador. Drug-smuggling sub found deep in jungle (http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Ecuador+Drug+smuggling+found+deep+jungle/3236138/story.html - broken link)
The Colombians have been using semi-submersible vessels since the 90s. These aren't actual submarines but basically boats with 99% of their volume under water. The Coast Guard has been catching them off the coast of Central America for years now. I don't know though..a operational submarine capable of diving to depth built in a Ecuadorian jungle swamp? I suppose the cartels could find someone to figure out something which is essentially World War II-era technology at this point. What depth could this sub actually reach in the open ocean? I'd like to see a better picture than the one posted that looks like the sub from the Finding Nemo ride at Disneyland sitting in a tropical swamp. Oh yeah, and the New York Post had the best headline on this one.

Drug Enforcement Administration captures submarine built for smuggling cocaine in Ecuador - NYPOST.com

I read in a book about the Russian mafia that back in the 90s some Russian criminals based out of Miami tried to secure an old Russian diesel submarine to sell to the Colombian cartels. This was back when the Soviet Union had just collapsed--apparently the deal fell through when the Russians got caught by the DEA.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
So why aren't the drugs legalized, controlled like liquor, taxed to the end user, and the profit motive eliminated from smuggling them?

Would it have something to do with the multi-billion-dollar boondoggle known as the "War On Drugs" or "DEA" for short?

If the drugs were legalized there would be no more nifty spy toys for the jackbooted Government Gooks to play with.

BTW - legalization is the ONLY way you will ever stop the smuggling. Eliminate the profit, eliminate the cartels. As simple as that.
Oh, now this is a legalizer thread.

I thought the subject was the cartels, arms, and the federal government's absolute reluctance to secure our borders.

If the borders were secure just maybe it would be more difficult to get contraband across the border, drugs, illegal aliens, guns, or potential threats to our national security.

As for legalization, I could give a flying ratzazz. I have no use for druggies, so as for as I'm concerned give ALL of them enough for ALL of them to OD. Costs less to bury them than to create social programs to satisfy the liberals.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:19 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,244 times
Quote:
I don't know where you live "close to the border", but apparently you don't pay much attention to what is happening in Tucson.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/23/us/23border.html?_r=1

You don't have to live close to the border to be an innocent bystander of a drug war. It's happening all over the country, just read the hundreds of articles linked in the previous post.

It puzzles me that you want me to "twist this into a 'I hate the illegals' thread" when nothing has been discussed except the cartels, drugs, and national security due to our porous borders. Oh well, living in a world of denial suits some better than others.
LOL. I live in Tucson. Except for a small area in South Tucson with gang violence, it is probably one of the safest places in the country. We have some issues with property violence in some areas, but much safer than any major city in the united states.

From your own source.

Law enforcement officials on both sides of the border agree that the United States is the source for most of the guns used in the violent drug cartel war in Mexico.

Not that I care, but if you want to give part of the story credibility, you can't cherry pick it.

I am not the one twisting the op into a thread about illegals, this has already been done by other posters in the thread.
Just so you understand where I am coming from, I of course agree that there is a huge drug problem in our country and that the cartels play a part in it, supplying the drug to our nation of addicts. However, many like Governor Brewer use the fear of cartels as a way to bash illegal immigrants and further their own agendas. This I have an issue with.

However. Don't believe all the hype about "border violence".

Government study finds U.S. side of Mexico border area low on violent crime | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Headline | International News

Border areas safest: Inland big cities have more violence - El Paso Times

Crime, immigration connection unclear, Justice Dept statistics suggest « New Mexico Independent

Old 07-05-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
LOL. I live in Tucson. Except for a small area in South Tucson with gang violence, it is probably one of the safest places in the country. We have some issues with property violence in some areas, but much safer than any major city in the united states.

From your own source.

Law enforcement officials on both sides of the border agree that the United States is the source for most of the guns used in the violent drug cartel war in Mexico.

Not that I care, but if you want to give part of the story credibility, you can't cherry pick it.

I am not the one twisting the op into a thread about illegals, this has already been done by other posters in the thread.
Just so you understand where I am coming from, I of course agree that there is a huge drug problem in our country and that the cartels play a part in it, supplying the drug to our nation of addicts. However, many like Governor Brewer use the fear of cartels as a way to bash illegal immigrants and further their own agendas. This I have an issue with.

However. Don't believe all the hype about "border violence".

Government study finds U.S. side of Mexico border area low on violent crime | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Headline | International News

Border areas safest: Inland big cities have more violence - El Paso Times

Crime, immigration connection unclear, Justice Dept statistics suggest « New Mexico Independent
Talk about "cherry picking".

The drug violence highlighted in all the articles (800 or so) doesn't just deal with the border, but also with other areas suffering from kidnappingts, extortion, murders, etc.,...associated with the cartels.

Actually, I live about equal distance from the Mexico border in Texas as you do in Arizona, so please don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:34 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,244 times
Quote:
Talk about "cherry picking".

The drug violence highlighted in all the articles (800 or so) doesn't just deal with the border, but also with other areas suffering from kidnappingts, extortion, murders, etc.,...associated with the cartels.

Actually, I live about equal distance from the Mexico border in Texas as you do in Arizona, so please don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.
Good for you?

Again slowly. YES....there is a problem with drug cartels....YES, they are violent and BAD guys.

We definitely need to stop the flow of weapons south (thanks for your link) .
And we definitely need to change the current drug policies in the United States. Obviously what we are doing today is not working.

See that was easy. We agree.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:15 PM

37,222 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Oh, now this is a legalizer thread.

I thought the subject was the cartels, arms, and the federal government's absolute reluctance to secure our borders.

If the borders were secure just maybe it would be more difficult to get contraband across the border, drugs, illegal aliens, guns, or potential threats to our national security.

As for legalization, I could give a flying ratzazz. I have no use for druggies, so as for as I'm concerned give ALL of them enough for ALL of them to OD. Costs less to bury them than to create social programs to satisfy the liberals.
Nope, just responding to a specific post.

Go back where you found this quote and reread the whole thing slowly.

If you have any questions come back. I'll be right here with answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies