Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 10:40 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
He can smoke outside, as long as his second hand smoke does not affect anyone else. That's the bottom line - if the noxious smoke from your cigarette drifts into someone else's airspace, sorry, you have to put it out.

It is your choice to gamble with your health. You are not allowed to impose that choice on me.
Cigarette smoke drifting past you in an outdoor area will not harm you, and if you are paranoid enough to think so, then move to a smoke free spot a meter or so away. If you are standing outside at a crosswalk, waiting for the light to change, do you demand the car idling at the traffic light next to you turn off his car engine? What about the plastic manufacturer down the street, do you demand they stop their production, or the guy in the bank line passing gas, do you ask him to leave the building?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 10:45 AM

15,101 posts, read 8,641,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
To some extent your right in that there are alot of bad things like abuse of alcohol'drug use;etc.I have no problem as long as the person is willing to take the conseqauence and not rely on me paying for their choice. That would include not being in teh same pol, on insurance as me. That wopuld also include not having SS disabilty related to that useage. That is where the real issues come in for to public cost;plus the second hand smoke issue. But the the death toal on highways because of alcohol abuse is just as bad really.
I would add something important to your words here ... the leading cause of death in this country is now .... medical care. It has surpassed heart disease and cancer, and now is estimated at 750,000 deaths a year. Consequently, your doctor appears to be far more dangerous to your health .. as well as more costly to your pocketbook than my cigars and scotch. (which based on my excellent tastes, are pretty darned expensive )

Furthermore, prescription medication, taken as directed by your doctor kills more people annually than ALL Illegal drugs COMBINED,

No ifs, ands, maybes or buts ... these are the raw facts. Now, what conclusions would a rational mind draw from that? That we need MORE healthcare?

I say spend your money on scotch and cigars (in moderation of course), and skip the pharmacological assault on your heath ... all of the fear mongering ... the cholesterol scams ... the antidepressants ...

Get yourself OFF the drugs ... the legal ones that seem to be ... according to the raw numbers, far more dangerous than the illegal ones. (Though I don't advocate the illegal ones either).

Common sense ... a good water filter ... and avoiding the processed foods .. the chemicals ... the artificial sweeteners and flavors and preservatives ... and most of all ... reduce STRESS ... which is the hidden killer and best friend of disease .... there is a reason why it has that name ... dis - ease.

Be "at ease" and you avoid "dis-ease", and avoid the pharmaceuticals that only contribute to the "dis-ease" of your body. They mask one symptom, while creating two new problems.

Unfortunately, we live in an upside down world today ... double-think and double-speak has replaced straight talk and truth. Now we have a pharmaceutical drug for EVERYTHING, and if you go to a doctor, you can count on him issuing you one ... that is what doctors are today ... walking, talking pharmaceutical dispensers.

Have a drink ... smoke a good cigar ... eat healthy foods ... drink clean water ... engage in some good exercise, and you are likely to live a longer and feel much better while doing so.

We are being taught to spend our whole lives worrying about dying, rather than living. And since none of us are getting out of this thing alive ... I suggest it would be wise to be happy and fearless.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:11 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,341,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Cigarette smoke drifting past you in an outdoor area will not harm you, and if you are paranoid enough to think so, then move to a smoke free spot a meter or so away. If you are standing outside at a crosswalk, waiting for the light to change, do you demand the car idling at the traffic light next to you turn off his car engine? What about the plastic manufacturer down the street, do you demand they stop their production, or the guy in the bank line passing gas, do you ask him to leave the building?
Boy, there is a sh*t load of posters on this forum who are in serious denial of the consequences of tobacco smoke. Just like my neighbor who smoked for 40+ years, was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer in 2005 (which got him to quit really fast), received prophylactic cranial radiation (PCR) to ward off brain cancer, and now experiences the consequences of the PCR. He can't walk properly, has balance and memory problems, and, at 65, looks, sounds and acts like a man a decade older. Ask him if he believes that smoking was dangerous to his health and you will get a resounding Yes!

So, go right ahead and believe what you like. Various laws keep your cigarette smoke away from me and that's all I care about.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:17 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Boy, there is a sh*t load of posters on this forum who are in serious denial of the consequences of tobacco smoke. Just like my neighbor who smoked for 40+ years, was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer in 2005 (which got him to quit really fast), received prophylactic cranial radiation (PCR) to ward off brain cancer, and now experiences the consequences of the PCR. He can't walk properly, has balance and memory problems, and, at 65, looks, sounds and acts like a man a decade older. Ask him if he believes that smoking was dangerous to his health and you will get a resounding Yes!

So, go right ahead and believe what you like. Various laws keep your cigarette smoke away from me and that's all I care about.
What a stretch of what i said, to give you a manufactured excuse to ramble. Where did i suggest that smoking cigarettes was healthy? You are in absolutely no danger if a person outside smokes, and you catch a stray whiff of smoke. And if you are still deathly afraid of his smoking cigarette, then move your silly ass out of the way of his smoke.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:20 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,850,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't read it that way. Nothing was said of "outside".

We are all free, or should be, to make choices about what happens to US, and our bodies. The problem starts when someone else and their body become unwilling participants. If people have proven anything beyond a shadow of a doubt it's that they can not self regulate so rules and laws are put into place to keep both sides "free" as much as possible. This doesn't always make everyone happy but I can't really think of a better way of doing it.
Quote:
If you want to smoke, fine with me. Just do it in a place (your own home?) where second hand smoke is not an issue for anyone else.
Implies they dont want someone to smoke outside. Since they clearly said do it in your own home. Since they were specific enough to point out long as you are in our house

Old 07-06-2010, 11:22 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Quote:

I believe that you find the answers you're looking for. If you believe it's bad for you, you suffer its effects, and notice those who are ill for reasons that may have nothing to do with smoking.

If you think it has no ill effects, you notice the number of people that smoke that survive to old age. I also think it doesn't affect you as much when you yourself smoke.

Health is probably about 90% mental.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:27 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
To some extent your right in that there are alot of bad things like abuse of alcohol'drug use;etc.I have no problem as long as the person is willing to take the conseqauence and not rely on me paying for their choice. That would include not being in teh same pol, on insurance as me. That wopuld also include not having SS disabilty related to that useage. That is where the real issues come in for to public cost;plus the second hand smoke issue. But the the death toal on highways because of alcohol abuse is just as bad really.

Not to mention the unintended consequences when someone's drug abuse leads them to commit a felony and their family gets punished via legal bills and that person's inability to then find work. Further, their child loses that parent b/c of their felony, etc. I have seen it happen first hand.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:52 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Where outside can't people smoke? As far as I know that is the place they are asked to smoke, outside. Unless it's some kind of event where smoking wouldn't be appropriate I don't think people think they "own the outside".
Try smoking in an outdoors California state park, or near a NYC playground, or on many beaches and see what happens. Just moving smokers outdoors wasn't good enough for the smoke-Nazi's. Now, they want smoking allowed in only certain outdoor areas which, naturally, is those which they frequent.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
If that smoke is full of carcinogens, yes.

Ever read the warning label on that bag of charcoal you grill with?

Charcoal Grill Warnings - Carcinogens & Briquettes

Old 07-06-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Not tolerance...

More like common courtesy is needed among both non-smokers and smokers. I'm sure many smokers have been ordered to put out their cigarettes without so much as a "please" or "thank you" by non-smokers. And many non-smokers, after asking politely, have been told to "go f themselves" or "it's a free country" by smokers.

It's this loss of courtesy that has made legislation possible, maybe even necessary.

I'll concede that point, but tolerance IS a facet of good manners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies