Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 07:56 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times

Advertisements

Really, I don't see how this story has any legs to go as far as it has. Granted, I think that the New Black Panther Party is a hate orginization plain and simple....or at least its members seem to be filled with hate. However, the video that Fox news keeps looping of two black panther members standing in front of a polling station with a club was aimed to be threatening to who?

I mean.....correct me if I am wrong but how could the BPP know who someone was voting for before hand? Its obvious that white people voted for Obama and that he could not have gotten elected without the white vote. Thus, to argue that the BPP was attempting to intimidate white voters would seem to me to be counter productive if their goal was to Senator Obama win the election. Right?

I will go even furthere, although I am not completely sure of this, but the location of the polling station is often a good indication of how people are going to vote. I mean....a polling station in the inner-city will likely bring in liberal voters so members of the BPP would be scaring liberal voters away...right?

In light of that, I just don't see the case for the argument that the BPP was there to intimidate white voters when the BPP has no way of knowing if a white person was going to vote for or against Obama. Again, its obvious to anyone that Obama could not win with just the black vote, in a country that is only 13% black. Thus, it makes no sense to me that the BPP would attempt to intimidate voters at a polling station located in an area where mostly liberal people would go to vote.

The official story provided by the BPP, from what I heard from their supposed leader, is that they were their to guard against individuals who spread false information. Whether its true or not, the last presidential election there were reports of people telling voters that a polling station was closed, in the liberal polling areas of high minority populaitons, of other false information to discourage them from voting. I remember those reports from 2004 and 2000 in Florida, I believe. Thus, the motivation provided by the BPP actually makes more sense than the motives that people are saying deserves the Justice Department to look into.

Help me out here.....those who think the Justice Department need to get involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 08:09 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,849,062 times
Here I will let a civil rights lawyer that onces run Robert Kennedy campaign explain it for you. He was there that day

YouTube - Eric Holder Drops Charges on Black Panthers for Voter Intimidation - Bill O'Reilly Reports

Old 07-18-2010, 08:10 AM

10,033 posts, read 9,510,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Really, I don't see how this story has any legs to go as far as it has. Granted, I think that the New Black Panther Party is a hate orginization plain and simple....or at least its members seem to be filled with hate. However, the video that Fox news keeps looping of two black panther members standing in front of a polling station with a club was aimed to be threatening to who?

I mean.....correct me if I am wrong but how could the BPP know who someone was voting for before hand? Its obvious that white people voted for Obama and that he could not have gotten elected without the white vote. Thus, to argue that the BPP was attempting to intimidate white voters would seem to me to be counter productive if their goal was to Senator Obama win the election. Right?

I will go even furthere, although I am not completely sure of this, but the location of the polling station is often a good indication of how people are going to vote. I mean....a polling station in the inner-city will likely bring in liberal voters so members of the BPP would be scaring liberal voters away...right?

In light of that, I just don't see the case for the argument that the BPP was there to intimidate white voters when the BPP has no way of knowing if a white person was going to vote for or against Obama. Again, its obvious to anyone that Obama could not win with just the black vote, in a country that is only 13% black. Thus, it makes no sense to me that the BPP would attempt to intimidate voters at a polling station located in an area where mostly liberal people would go to vote.

The official story provided by the BPP, from what I heard from their supposed leader, is that they were their to guard against individuals who spread false information. Whether its true or not, the last presidential election there were reports of people telling voters that a polling station was closed, in the liberal polling areas of high minority populaitons, of other false information to discourage them from voting. I remember those reports from 2004 and 2000 in Florida, I believe. Thus, the motivation provided by the BPP actually makes more sense than the motives that people are saying deserves the Justice Department to look into.

Help me out here.....those who think the Justice Department need to get involved.
No one ever said they were smart racists?

Had they stood there with a sign stating the polling station was open or possibly walking the neighborhood and letting people know, than that would be more believable.

The fact that they were standing at the entrance with one of them with a weapon in his hand kind of makes their explanation sound totally unbelievable.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:23 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,383 times
so, following your reasoning, if the klan were standing outside a mixed neighborhood voting location, wearing their sheets and carrying the cross, you assume the black voters wouldn't be intimidated?

Fuzzy thinking then, based on the hysteria presented even on this board at the mere mention of the klan,

Blacks today are still afraid at the resumption of acts of murder by the clan.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:38 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,333,807 times
Quote:
Really, I don't see how this story has any legs to go as far as it has.
If you don't get it, then you don't want to get it. Voter intimidation is voter intimidation. And like another poster mentioned, I'd like to hear what you and Obama's DOJ would have to say if there was a Klansman standing there.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:41 AM

382 posts, read 302,949 times
Lets put some Klan members up there where the panthers were at and then see if you would be saying these things.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:42 AM

59,107 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:

You don't get it? Maybe that is why many of your posts seem to portray you as having chip on your shoulder.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:45 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,906,515 times
Doesn't make much of a difference to me in either case .. Black Panthers or The Klan .. both are terrorist groups, and as such, should be wiped off of the face of the earth.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:47 AM

364 posts, read 496,709 times
How many voters have stated they were intimidated?

Old 07-18-2010, 10:53 AM

37,223 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:

I really can't tell them apart from the Tea Partiers. Two sides of the same coin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies