Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 09:38 PM

364 posts, read 496,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
It does not make sense, but fascism and totalitarianism rarely makes sense.

Voter intimidation with weapons or threat of violence crosses the line of a rational society and puts the whole politcal process into a force of arms.

Again, I can gaurantee you that if the Black Panthers show up again at polling places in an attempt to influence an election, that there will be gun battles at polling places.

Only an insane man, or an abject Obama partisan, would not understand the significance of the failure of the justice department to prosecute these criminals.

I am an educated man. I am a wealthy man. I can say, however, that I will be carrying a firearm to every election from this point forward, given the fact the federal government seems comfortable with allowing armed voter intimidation. This precedent sets the stage for violence (and I assume there will be some), as when the federal government fails to preserve free elections, anarchy erupts.

This is the "hope" and "change" of Obama- needing weapons to vote.
1. Guns are generally prohibited at polling places.

2. Prosecute the civil case left by the Bush DOJ? or

3. Prosecute under what statute that would likely lead to conviction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 04:59 AM

221 posts, read 364,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Really, I don't see how this story has any legs to go as far as it has. Granted, I think that the New Black Panther Party is a hate orginization plain and simple....or at least its members seem to be filled with hate. However, the video that Fox news keeps looping of two black panther members standing in front of a polling station with a club was aimed to be threatening to who?

I mean.....correct me if I am wrong but how could the BPP know who someone was voting for before hand? Its obvious that white people voted for Obama and that he could not have gotten elected without the white vote. Thus, to argue that the BPP was attempting to intimidate white voters would seem to me to be counter productive if their goal was to Senator Obama win the election. Right?

I will go even furthere, although I am not completely sure of this, but the location of the polling station is often a good indication of how people are going to vote. I mean....a polling station in the inner-city will likely bring in liberal voters so members of the BPP would be scaring liberal voters away...right?

In light of that, I just don't see the case for the argument that the BPP was there to intimidate white voters when the BPP has no way of knowing if a white person was going to vote for or against Obama. Again, its obvious to anyone that Obama could not win with just the black vote, in a country that is only 13% black. Thus, it makes no sense to me that the BPP would attempt to intimidate voters at a polling station located in an area where mostly liberal people would go to vote.

The official story provided by the BPP, from what I heard from their supposed leader, is that they were their to guard against individuals who spread false information. Whether its true or not, the last presidential election there were reports of people telling voters that a polling station was closed, in the liberal polling areas of high minority populaitons, of other false information to discourage them from voting. I remember those reports from 2004 and 2000 in Florida, I believe. Thus, the motivation provided by the BPP actually makes more sense than the motives that people are saying deserves the Justice Department to look into.

Help me out here.....those who think the Justice Department need to get involved.
They need to get involved... and send these clowns to... I dunno... say, Liberia?

Old 07-19-2010, 05:31 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,170,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauiwowie View Post
Your proof? How many voters have said they were intimidated?
I think the NBP intimidated the conservative white poll watcher that was sent there to intimidate the black voters.

You can see why conservatives would be upset over that.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:51 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
I think the NBP intimidated the conservative white poll watcher that was sent there to intimidate the black voters.

You can see why conservatives would be upset over that.
White racism has always been a circular self fulfilling prophecy. For example, if you characterize a group of people as lazy, then you don’t hire them so then when they are not working the racist can then say “look at those lazy bums….all they want to do is sit around and get welfare”. Whites believed that blacks were stupid for centuries, while simultaneously not allowing them to learn to read and write, hence, not knowing how to read or right, it fulfilled the belief that blacks were dumb. Whites believed that blacks moving into their community would drive down property values, so when blacks moved in whites started putting up their homes for sale and other whites did not want to buy creating a supply demand gap that drove down housing prices, thus fulfilling their prophecy. It goes on and on.

Today you have some white folks who are rationalizing and fueling racism by using black’s reaction to racism as justification. Hence, to resent being mistreated racially makes blacks racist and gives comfort and justification to white racist that they are not doing anything that black people are not doing to whites. All of us are racist. Everyone is doing it. They send conservatives out to certain polling places to agitate and then when they get a reaction, they take that reaction and use it as evidence. Its like a “sting” operation were they set people up or create the temptation that can get the type of action that they are looking for. It’s really an insidiously evil thing that is going on in America now, in regards to race. These people need to create all kinds of cover and justification for their beliefs and actions so that they will not feel any moral shame about their beliefs and actions. Thus, they go to great length to create cover to give justification for their racism.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:53 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
This thread just stinks of absolute double standards and acceptable racism and hate. It's ok when "they" do it, but anyone else, it's a non stop story of oppression.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
This thread just stinks of absolute double standards and acceptable racism and hate. It's ok when "they" do it, but anyone else, it's a non stop story of oppression.
Go back and look in the 50's and 60's of examples of black voter intimidation and then compare that with these two guys standing out front of a polling station with a night stick.

There is no double standard! Because some black guys looked "scary"....you want the justice department to investigate....LOL. The truth is that white folks like you are hell bent on trying to frame black people to be just as bad as white folks on issues of racism and the like. Well...if you spent half that energy trying to portray black people as being just as hard working, responsible and intelligent as white folks, as you do trying to make black folks seem just as racist as you are, then this nation would be a much better place.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:53 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Go back and look in the 50's and 60's of examples of black voter intimidation and then compare that with these two guys standing out front of a polling station with a night stick.

There is no double standard! Because some black guys looked "scary"....you want the justice department to investigate....LOL. The truth is that white folks like you are hell bent on trying to frame black people to be just as bad as white folks on issues of racism and the like. Well...if you spent half that energy trying to portray black people as being just as hard working, responsible and intelligent as white folks, as you do trying to make black folks seem just as racist as you are, then this nation would be a much better place.
And the black voters that where there; that were scared off that day, what of them? Are they now white?

One day, you will figure it out, that you can not put people in a box. They do not fit.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
White racism has always been a circular self fulfilling prophecy. For example, if you characterize a group of people as lazy, then you don’t hire them so then when they are not working the racist can then say “look at those lazy bums….all they want to do is sit around and get welfare”. Whites believed that blacks were stupid for centuries, while simultaneously not allowing them to learn to read and write, hence, not knowing how to read or right, it fulfilled the belief that blacks were dumb. Whites believed that blacks moving into their community would drive down property values, so when blacks moved in whites started putting up their homes for sale and other whites did not want to buy creating a supply demand gap that drove down housing prices, thus fulfilling their prophecy. It goes on and on.

Today you have some white folks who are rationalizing and fueling racism by using black’s reaction to racism as justification. Hence, to resent being mistreated racially makes blacks racist and gives comfort and justification to white racist that they are not doing anything that black people are not doing to whites. All of us are racist. Everyone is doing it. They send conservatives out to certain polling places to agitate and then when they get a reaction, they take that reaction and use it as evidence. Its like a “sting” operation were they set people up or create the temptation that can get the type of action that they are looking for. It’s really an insidiously evil thing that is going on in America now, in regards to race. These people need to create all kinds of cover and justification for their beliefs and actions so that they will not feel any moral shame about their beliefs and actions. Thus, they go to great length to create cover to give justification for their racism.
I've never seen any one so bent on not evolving into a higher level understanding of people than what you have presented of yourself.

If you had a time machine, you'd go back in time. However, you need not a time machine, you're still there.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
And the black voters that where there; that were scared off that day, what of them? Are they now white?

One day, you will figure it out, that you can not put people in a box. They do not fit.
Yes....I have figured that you cannot put this incident in the same box as the voter intimidation that went on in the 50's and 60's against blacks. Its just not the same thing. We live in an era where white folks are simply scared of black men who are not "dressed a way that makes white folks feel comfortable". Thats the bottom line. BLack man often look intimidating to white folks. Whites are always talking about "the black crime problem" and this gives whites a heightend fear of black men.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Yes....I have figured that you cannot put this incident in the same box as the voter intimidation that went on in the 50's and 60's against blacks. Its just not the same thing. We live in an era where white folks are simply scared of black men who are not "dressed a way that makes white folks feel comfortable". Thats the bottom line. BLack man often look intimidating to white folks. Whites are always talking about "the black crime problem" and this gives whites a heightend fear of black men.
Have you seen the white folks that dress as the blacks do and will mimic their mannerisms? Or visa versa....? We're not happy regardless of anything.

I shared a room once in a military hospital with a black woman. I was leaving that day and putting on my face make-up. I noticed how white my skin had become, "I said look at me, I am so white, no tan". (temporary amnesia)

Then it clicked, oops. I said, "we are always trying to be something we are not, never satisfied". She said, "you know I see it too. Black people wanting to be white, white people wanting to be black. I agree with you". She went on to talk about skin bleaching...

I'm just be-bopper through life. I just see people. Some I like and some I don't. And not one group will fit into a box.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 07-19-2010 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: box
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies